Drivers side rear Fusebox? Daytona Seat Problem | FerrariChat

Drivers side rear Fusebox? Daytona Seat Problem

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by versamil, Jul 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I have a problem with my passenger side Daytona electric seat on a 458 Spider. One the latch for the seat back is not latching. In removing the seat I found only the movement front to rear worked, no height, nothing else. Made removing the seat incredibly difficult since there's almost no clearance to get an eight millimeter allen wrench into the rear seat mounting bolts.

So it appears there may be TWO fuses for the passenger seat and they are both in the rear drivers side fusebox. This seems to be behind the speaker panel, which I've given some tugs on it, but I'm hoping someone has removed it already and can give a clue what is holding the panel into place. I have the awful sounding JBL sound system upgrade, and the speaker in the car looks different than the one in the horribly incomplete owners manual. Panel probably is still secured the same way.

I see the electric motors have a square hole in the end of the armatures. I AM going to check to see if I could have manually raised the seat with the right tool to rotate the motors while the seat is installed. Very little room under the seat however when the seat is all the way down. Having the seat in the UP position makes removing the rear bolts easy. I removed the drivers seats so I could see what I was getting myself into. Nice to be able to really vacuum right down into the seat rail!

I know this is really pushing my luck, but I need to get at the back of the Daytona seat to find out what isn't latching. Anybody have any experience dismantling the seats? Tugging and pulling on things is just not my favorite method of figuring out problems. There's NO apparent screws.

2. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    An update, since no one responded, I continued my exploration on the seat. The owners manual says don't operate the seat controls when the back of the seat is unlatched. Let's correct that statement,
    the seat WILL NOT operate if the back isn't latched. And the seat cannot latch if a buddy messes around with all the seat controls, trying for some perfect comfortable position, makes the seat go back almost all the way,, moves the seat forward and then unlatches the back. Move the seat rearward, the back won't latch, the seat wont do anything but move fore and aft. So a lot of time wasted, If I had moved the seat all the way forward, the back probably would have latched. but with it back half way it was hitting the back wall before it could latch. There is a micro switch in the latch mechanism, that prevents any movement when the latch is NOT engaged.

Still might be handy to know how to get the drivers side rear fusebox cover off. On another note, the rear shelf may be handy to place objects, but it's VERY easy for those objects to find their way under the seats. The motors have a tremendous amount of torque for their size, there's ZERO room for anything. These seats are incredibly complex, (EXPENSIVE) and being extremely careful with putting "stuff" behind the seats is probably a really good idea. Don't leave the battery tender behind the seats!

The motors all have a square drive recess in the armature. This hole takes a number TWO square drive bit. So if a person was to have a completely dead seat using a really small air powered ratchet, the seat COULD be moved fore and aft, and raised up to get to the seat mounting bolts. Because of the compound gearing used, a person could grow OLD turning these before you had the gratification of seeing movement.

With the seat out of the car, I had a continuous AIR BAG warning light on as well as an AVH alarm when I drove the car. Automatic Vehicle Holding. Hard to see the correlation of a seat out of the car and the feature of the brakes that hold the car. Scary the complexity of new cars!