How much Difference $$$ wise on Mileage. | FerrariChat

How much Difference $$$ wise on Mileage.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Patek, Jul 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    How much dollar wise should a 2012 Ferrari in mint condition be based on mileage.

A 2012 Ferrari 458 with 12,100 miles

A 2012 Ferrari 458 with 5,300 miles.

The higher mileage car has over $22,000 plus of options than the lower mileage.
    i.e. Carbon Fiber racing seats, Carbon fiber dash, $3,000 radar laser jammer, CF between the seats, $1,800 cruise control, led steering wheel.

The lower mileage one has no CF dash, No racing seats, just the diamond quilt, no Racing seats, no Radar, no cruise control, just led wheel.

How much would you expect to pay difference between the 12k car,and the 5K car and this is at a dealer.

Just very interested as I am trying to do a deal. At what point do you walk away.

Would you trade for $10,000

Thanks for the help,

John

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Toss out all the options as they mean virtually nothing in resale unless YOU really want them. Chances are the next guy you sell it to won't.

IMO, don't worry about it. Buy the car you really want to own. Never walk away from the car you want for a few grand. You don't buy these every day.

The only deal breaker for me personally would be the LED wheel. I personally wouldn't want one without that feature as it is really useful. The most useless thing on a 458 is the tach. You have no time to look at it so the LEDs are an indication of what's going on.

Pick the car you like best then negotiate your best price.

Then drive and be happy.

3. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I agree, the difference they want between my highly "Optioned car, and their Car "
    Hold on to your seat........... is $35,000 US Dollars.

The only difference it theirs has 7,000 less miles.

I thought 9-10k would be pushing it.... But I just can't get to that number in my head on 7K car both 2012.

So we are not even close.

we both have the LED wheels, there is no possible way I would take one without it.
    I have carbon fiber race seats they don't. But $35K I could buy a nice Patek Philippe Watch. Not a high end one but at least a Nautilus......

Best,
    John

4. Parshooter

Parshooter Rookie

Jun 18, 2015
    You can go to My Ricambi and buy a lot of CF for a lot less than the difference in price...

5. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I know, and my car is the one with all the CF, and they still want $35,000 .
    So I guess that means if you drive a 2012 458 with more than 10k Miles, it is bath time... I knew it would come , but was not ready.

Both are fine from CarFax, mine even has new tires, they still have tires from 2011 on their car.

Just shocking .....

Maybe I will just go mow the yard and forget about it. A bad dream.

6. Jackp6

Jackp6 Karting

May 26, 2013
    Seem like both are very low mile 458's
    Personally I don't care for CF, but these options are $$$ if you want to install them yourself, you will never get the money back that you paid for in options
    So the only thing that matters is mileage and clean record, if price is the same I would take the low mileage car

7. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    #7 twist-a-grip, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Having little info to go on, I'm wondering why you would trade a car that you've already taken a bath on for the same model year car with less options that you will take another bath on in a short 4700 miles (personally, I don't believe 10k is the magic number, but maybe it is)? Unless there's a warranty issue or an unreported incident with your car and you just want to dump it, I'd much rather keep my higher optioned car with my own known mileage rather than a stripper model car that might have been flogged all over hell and gone for 5000 of it's 5300 miles.

While I know the general rule is toss out the options as you won't get a penny for them on resale, I think the options you have on your car are highly desirable to most buyers and should give you a little bump in value. Only when you start adding cf or leather or alcantara in every nook and cranny for an extra $80k do the options get much more scrutinized. Certainly, $35k is not a reasonable variance in value and I would tell the dealer to try again. Say you deserve an extra $6-8k for your options, he's gutting you for $40k+ just because of 6800 miles - that's a roughly $6/mile hit.

8. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    The reason to trade is
    A- Been looking for a Yellow ( 10 Ferrari's so far and no yellow for me)
    B- The race seats kill my back, need the softer electric seat.
    C- Backup camera, mine does not have one, as I can't see anything backing up.

Other than that my car is mint, just had it serviced 10 days ago at Ferrari of Atlanta.

I did not buy the car new, so I missed the first big bath on the options.

But I just thought my car would be worth about $10k difference, just because I knew the dealer wanted to make money. His car is worth about $188-190,000.. so what is mine worth is the problem, the $35,000 difference between the two is massive. But I would trade seats and color for $10K but not for $35K. That means they give me $155,000 for my car, which they could sell for at least $180,000 then they want $35,000 on top of that, Even if they sold my car for $170,000 and i paid the $35,000 that would be the same things as having sold their car for a massive $205,000 when they will take cash of $190k or less for their car straight out. They offered it to me at that price, then I said I need to trade my car to make it happen.

So..............

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    White became the new yellow. It's hard to find today.

10. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    Kinda figured it was color related - that seems to be the only reason to justify the move. You seem to have a handle on what you'll pay, just sounds like you need to find a dealer to make a reasonable offer.

11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Here is a suggestion: Go to one of the car pricing sites (Edmunds, et. al.) and run the same car with the two mileages holding everything else constant to get an approximation of the mileage delta and run for each color to determine if color makes much of a difference difference. You can run the options to determine how much they may add in making your decision as well as the trade-in and retail a dealer stands to make. Good luck!

12. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Just a thought but what about wrapping the car, changing the seats and installing a back up camera? You can keep all your original bits if you decide to sell later but you get the features for a lot less than $35k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I can see yellow cars coming back because

1) they are beautiful
    2) they are pretty rare today.

I have no idea why so many people like white on an exotic car, but they do.

If yellow turns you on, get yellow. Otherwise you'll always wonder if you made the right choice.

14. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    That is exactly what I told the dealer. I could just about paint the car for $35,000

I tried to find the values on EDMUNDS.com , but they had no data...

I really don't think yellow brings a premium, but this one seems to want a to.

So if any of you find a 2012 yellow, electric seats, back up camera. Let me know. But, they will need to take my 2012 Red 458 in trade. I don't need two of them. there are so many out there I don't see how dealers sell any of them. Lots of competition.

John

15. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA

Yellow Speciales are - Speciale!

16. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Ferrari of Central Jersey has a yellow 2012 for $189,000 CF all over the dash, door seal,on the doors, and racing seats, with back up camera. But this is the interesting thing. the other authorized Ferrari Dealer told me that a 458 over 10,000 miles is way to much mileage and dead in the market. So that my car at 12,000 miles is worth only $155,000.

So the Car above at Central Jersey has a massive overkill of 16,000 miles, and according to the other Authorized dealer payment plan, this car should be about $151,000 instead of $189,000. Almost a $40K spread. Who is correct, their car is great, but mine is terrible because it has 12,000 miles and in mint condition.......

Are all dealer like this around the country.

Crazy math.

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Color is a matter of taste...there is no right or wrong.

While white looks great my experience is that it gets old after awhile.

Yellow is way too: hey look at me.

Best

18. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Agree with mayor. I don't know...but I probably will buy a watch with the 35k difference. Then wear it with the car. But if you like it enough...then go for it...

19. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    +10. And I think you must have let the dealer know you wanted yellow BAD...have your friend called the dealer pretending to be a new customer and low ball them, and see what happens.

20. DRPM

DRPM Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Montreal Quebec
    ^ Agreed

21. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wide World Ferrari in Spring Valley NY has a beautiful Yellow '12 458 sitting on the floor. I was just there. 5800 miles - $198k. It has the LED steering wheel,to me which is a must IMHO. Just letting you know.

22. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    That is the exact one i am talking about, they want $35,000 plus my Ferrari....

John

23. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

It's hot. Love the quilted stitching on the seats and headliner. It also has a CF lip on the rear spoiler which I didn't know was on option. It looks nice.

24. thoz

thoz Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I wouldn't do this trade, but it does make sense (to me at least).

Stand in the shoes of WWF for a minute. They own the yellow 458. It needs to pay its way - finance cost, share of business overheads etc.
    Using your numbers WWF sells it to you for $190,000.
    WWF buys your red 458 for $155,000. It needs to pay its way - finance cost, share of business overheads, sale preparation costs, possible warranty claims, whatever.
    They later sell it for $180,000, giving them a gross margin of $25,000 minus all of the above.

The $35,000 changeover is confronting, but it probably doesn't make sense for WWF to do it for much less.

That yellow 458 is gorgeous though.
    And it has the seats you need :)

25. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Too low imo. I think I would pay $25,ooo plus your car. The profit margins on both cars are too high. When you trade the yellow 458 again they will try to low ball you because of seats and color