Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 458 Italia

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 04:25 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Vic Rob
Battery conditioner

Can I ask what other owners' experiences have been with the battery conditioner usage particularly where you don't drive your car for say 2-3 weeks. Do most people lock their cars with the conditioners left plugged in or do you leave your car unlocked?

Has anyone experienced low battery voltage after a few weeks of non useage with the car locked and the conditioner plugged in?

I have been advised that the alarm/anti theft system does draw on the battery substantially when the car is locked.

Thanks
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-29-2012, 05:18 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

I always use a battery conditioner on my cars, particualrly if they will not be used for more than a couple of days (I am sure that you could get away with longer periods of time).

With regards to the 458, I do not lock the doors as the connection is on the passenger's side below the dash and requires running the power cord out the door. On the Fcars with the connection in the boot, like the 612 and 599, I lock the car doors. Either way, I have not had any low battery voltage issues, even after the car sits for a month (required when I take those extended trips to Oz).
Old 04-29-2012, 05:28 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Thanks - so when you leave the car for a month is it locked or unlocked?

Cheers
Old 04-29-2012, 05:31 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

The 458 is always unlocked while on the conditioner.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:32 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Thanks AG that makes sense and is pretty much in line with what my F service manager said to do.

Cheers
Old 04-29-2012, 06:51 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: DJS
I use the battery conditioner when the car will not be driven over a couple of days. I did the same routine with all my other cars. None of them ever experienced any low voltage. Always locked.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:10 AM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Ray
My Garage
It remains unlocked in my garage. I bring the wire out of a cracked passenger side window. I put the conditioner on if I am not going to drive it for a couple of days.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:12 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

If I don't use the 458 for a week or if I know it won't be used for more than a week, it goes on the conditioner. Always unlocked in the garage.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 AM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Rod
I always use the conditioner connected, door shut and car locked. Only thing I've experienced was when I have the car locked on the tender and unlock the car, remove the tender and immediately try and start the car...it doesn't. However, if I unlock the car, remove the tender and re-lock the car for a few minutes and then unlock...the car starts right up. The passenger door shuts right on top of the cord and doesn't cause any damage to the cord.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

I store my F Cars over 4 months in hot humid summer Florida while being North and always use the Conditioner on the 458 and with batteries off on my 430, 512TR, and 575 with windows open to get cool AC air circulataing inside to avoid mildew. Never had a problem.

I do wish the 458 had a battery off switch
Old 04-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Lee
Battery conditioner

My dealer told me the battery would go dead if the car sat for seven days. I assume that is for a good battery and would only becomes less with time. I always plug the condioner in wheter in my house garage or my car storage area.

The dealer also told me if the condtioner is plugged in the car but not the electical outlet that the battery would be drawn down.

doing this I have had no problem.

Lee
Old 04-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Thanks to all who responded. There are definitely some differing views. Are there any FChatters who are unable to use the car daily/weekly because of holidays/travel etc would be good to hear from you as to what you do if the car is not going to be used for 2-4 weeks.

Conditioner on
Car locked/unlocked?
Any issue on resarting after an extended break of non use?

Cheers
Old 04-29-2012, 07:25 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Rod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavallino 458 View Post
Thanks to all who responded. There are definitely some differing views. Are there any FChatters who are unable to use the car daily/weekly because of holidays/travel etc would be good to hear from you as to what you do if the car is not going to be used for 2-4 weeks.

Conditioner on
Car locked/unlocked?
Any issue on resarting after an extended break of non use?

Cheers
I typically drive her once very 2-3 weeks. In between drives, she's lcoked with battery tender plugged in. No trouble starting as long as the battery charger is disconnected, the car locked then unlocked a few minutes later. I'm guessing it resets the electronics.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:28 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mark
I've left my car for up to 3 weeks without the charger and it started OK, admittedly in mild conditions. I think 4 weeks might have been pushing my luck though.

If I use the charger, I just close the door on the cord and lock the car.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:46 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

My dealer said that if you leave the car for 2 weeks or more, you should always use the conditioner. I close and lock my car every time I use it. Just make sure that the cord is placed as recommended (lower front of the passenger door).
Old 05-01-2012, 06:05 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Thanks Smokey, so when you leave the car without driving it for more than a couple of weeks (with conditioner on and car locked) you don't have any issue with restarting? Do you notice any change in battery charge?
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-01-2012, 10:05 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Since lead-acid batteries do not like constant discharging and charging, it is good practice to keep the battery in a high charge state. Thus the use of the conditioner even for short periods of down time.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Anthony
my car goes for months on the charger with the doors locked, no kinks in the wire .. wire goes right under passengers door no problems..
Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavallino 458 View Post
Thanks Smokey, so when you leave the car without driving it for more than a couple of weeks (with conditioner on and car locked) you don't have any issue with restarting? Do you notice any change in battery charge?
So far so good! I have not had any problem. I have yet not left it for a longer period (i.e. winter) but probably others have which could advice...
Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Randall
If I am driving the 458 even once every 2-3 weeks I do not use the conditioner and do not have a problem , BUT I do not lock the car as the Alarm system draws from the battery. If I don't drive the car for more than 3 weeks, then conditioner is on and the doors locked. I had no problem restarting after 3 month winter storage this year.