599 Dead Battery - Need Help Opening Trunk Manually | FerrariChat

599 Dead Battery - Need Help Opening Trunk Manually

Discussion in '612/599' started by FER360, Jan 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FER360

FER360 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Can anyone help me to locate the cable to open the trunk of a 599 manually? The battery is dead so the trunk where the trickle charger is located won't open with the electric trunk button and the owner's manual is in the trunk.
    Thanks is advance.

2. balfas

balfas Karting
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2003
    Toronto Canada
    Full Name:
    balfas
  3. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    On the center console there is a dual sided storage area. Pull it out using the center divider. You will see a ring pull cable in the space underneath the divider. Pull on it real hard and it will open the trunk.

4. FER360

FER360 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Thank you Balfus and 410SA!!! I appreciate your help!!!

5. Ron1esq

Ron1esq Rookie

Jan 9, 2009
    Beverly Hills
    The trickle charger won't recharge a dead battery. Did it work for you? How long do you leave it on when you are not driving the vehicle?

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FER360- One thing that might help you is to have an extra Owner's Manual so you can look things up without having to get into the car. I always buy an extra manual to keep in the house so I can figure out how things work without having to dig into the car. $100 or so extra, but compared to a $350K car, not much. Ricambi should be able to find one for you.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

7. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    If register on the Ferrari Owners site you can download any manual for any Ferrari and have it handy in digital form on your computer whenever you want it.
    You can also however read the manual when you first get the car and figure out all of the emergency opening doodads (fuel filler, trunk, engine compartment etc) so that when your power goes out you can get at things :)

8. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Is the 599 manual online now? It wasn't a few months ago.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Gary- No, it is not, or at least not two days ago when I downloaded a few manuals. I looked for it.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

10. aln

aln Karting

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    thank you @410sa! very, very helpful info for me right now. :)

11. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
  12. aln

aln Karting

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    fortunately, the trunk release cable hasn't migrated in the last 5 years. :)

pulled it, opened trunk, and hooked up the charger. hopefully all will be well tomorrow. i'm supposed to go to the desert concorso on friday so keeping my fingers crossed that there isn't something else wrong that will put a major kink in our weekend plans.

i'm actually tempted to hook it up to my external jumpstarter tonight but i suppose this is a better solution.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Make sure you use a full size charger and not the OEM CTEK, which was not designed to charge a dead battery. Turn off battery with battery disconnect switch, charge with full size charger, turn off accessories (AC, stereo, etc), turn on switch, and do a run cycle.

Run cycle.

Turn battery disconnect switch off and turn off all accessories (stereo, A/C, etc).
    Let engine get completely cold or wait at least 30 minutes.
    Insert key in ignition and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition to on and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition off and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition on, wait for Check OK, and start.
    Let idle with no input whatsoever for 10 minutes.
    Turn accessories back on and drive gently for 10-15 minutes at least.
    You will have to insert stereo code, if required, and reset the clock.

14. Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle Formula 3

Jul 9, 2013
    Carmel Highlands
    Full Name:
    Dan Kyle
    A little late now, but if the window(s) are up, use care opening the door as with a dead battery they glass does not move down to clear the rubber seal.

15. aln

aln Karting

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    thanks all for the advice. the battery was not 'dead' but rather just low. the OEM charger/conditioner was able to get it back up to a decent enough voltage and it started in the morning.

curiously enough, i have a jumpstarter device that measured the % capacity of the battery. AFTER the overnight conditioner it was still only up to 79%. my plan is to go to the desert concorso... but to carry the jumpstarter with me just in case. :)

16. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Terry, I have a friend with a Stradale that has a starting issue when the car has been in storage in an unheated garage. (below 40 degrees). He gets a triangle warning light and a 40 degrees notice and it wont start. Could this be related to the ECU going through reset and refusing to reset below 40 degrees? I wonder if the above procedure might be the answer, any thoughts?

17. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
  18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chris- I am not familiar with that one, but it cannot hurt to try. I did not know there was any prohibition about starting below 40 F. Will have to look in the Scuderia owners manual. That could be related to the DOT cleared Pirelli P Zero Corsa track tires, which have a summer only tread compound and are pretty useless in cold weather.

19. richard.watkins@comcast.n

Jun 4, 2014
    Palm Springs CA
    Full Name:
    Rick Watkins
    Greetings,

I brought my 2008 599GTB home for my Staff to have pictures taken during my annual Christmas party. It has been unusually cold in Oregon this year. Regrettably, the battery has died. I really don't want to have it towed to Ron Tonkin to have a new battery put in.

Can I get a set of instructions to do this myself?

I have rebuilt a Lotus Europa JPS, so I am not afraid of DIY, I just do not want to make a catastrophic mistake.

Thank you,

Rick

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  21. richard.watkins@comcast.n

Jun 4, 2014
    Palm Springs CA
    Full Name:
    Rick Watkins
    Hi Terry,

Thank you so much! Can you point me to this bulletin? I need to find the Master Battery switch.

Regards,

Rick

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rick- Look in your owners manual and it should show it for you. On pages 153 and 154 for the MY 2007 599 (battery master switch). That was not a bulletin, but from the 599 GTO WSM. GTB battery in the same location.

23. richard.watkins@comcast.n

Jun 4, 2014
    Palm Springs CA
    Full Name:
    Rick Watkins
    Thank you. I have read this cover to cover. I forgot that detail was there. Got my battery, will swap tomorrow.

24. richard.watkins@comcast.n

Jun 4, 2014
    Palm Springs CA
    Full Name:
    Rick Watkins
    Terry,

Thank you again for your assistance. Swapped batteries, followed the startup protocol, got Becker code back in. All good to go. And, it was my first Ferrari maintenance experience.

Best regards,
    Rick

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rick- Always nice to have the first one go well.