Experiance with 599 Manual?? | FerrariChat

Experiance with 599 Manual??

Discussion in '612/599' started by wings, Oct 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Having been told that the 599 with a 6 speed manual transmission is quirky, notchy, not good, designed really for the F!, I am looking for an owner or someone who has actually driven this car with a manual transmission to give me their impression.
    Because so few of these cars with a manual transmission were made in 2007, ests about 20, and none (0) were made in 08 I know it may be difficult finding some owner willing to share his experiance. My last contact, a Ferrari Dealer, said that he has sold 3 cars in the past with the manual. One owner loved that car, the other 2 hated it. In fact, those owners who disliked the car with the manual traded them back in to this same dealer. I do remember him having a 6 speed manual car for sale about 6 months ago that he sold again for the second time. Thanks.

2. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Also a manual at Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo (Portland, Oregon). I know that owner traded it b/c he decided he wanted the F1, and he is a hard core manual guy. If you call them ask for Greg Theis to get his opinion.

3. 355bnut

355bnut Karting

Jan 8, 2006
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    DomC
    I picked up my '08 manual in April and have about 2000 miles, including 100 on the track. Yes, initially it's tricky because, as sopmeone else said the engine revs sooo freely, matching revs up and down is a bit of a challenge. While you do not feel as connected via the transmission link as in a 355 or 550, once you get used to it, understand the dynamics, shifting, heel and toeing, et al, is a real pleasure and incredibly satisfying. When cold you have to do a bit more double clutching, but once warmed up, it is very smooth, and does not require as much effort as a 355. On track there is no doubt that an F1 is a better choice for all the obvious reasons. However, for spirited street/highway driving the F1 just cannot compare with the amount of involvement the manual demands and the pleasure you get from it.

4. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Thank you.

5. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    With super quick F1 shift times as standard on the 599, why go manual?

6. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    As much as I LOVE the manual Ferrari box, I would go with the F1 in the 599. :):)

Any other Ferrari I would get a manual box, but my 599 would be F1. :D:D

7. evo1313

evo1313 Rookie

Jan 16, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Travis
    My sediments EXACTLY!

8. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I love the F1 on my 575M, so I can only imagine how much improvement there is with the 599 F1.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

10. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Car is so damn fast, you need both hands on wheel driving if using as god intended. Superfast feels like it'll launch torque tube out the back of the damn thing. No stick will do that. Picking and using gears when cornering/setting up for corners can't happen like they do with an F1. Actually accelerates fast enough that it autoshifts. Older F-1s nice, I've had a couple, but the 599 needs it.

11. osalah

osalah Rookie

Sep 22, 2009
    As said in Top Gear - F1 for hacks. Yes its faster, but only if you know exactly when to pull, and even then, there is no visceral satisfaction. There is a progressive love affair with your car as you learn to master the manual. Would wear a Rolex if it worked on a battery. F1 is a battery operated mechansim.

12. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I adore manual gearboxes in V12 Ferraris, however Ferrari insiders will tell you that Maranello never did ANY development on the 599's manual gearbox. They simply felt it was not going to be sold in significant numbers and therefore it did not merit any development funding. When I bought my 599 in '07 I wanted to get a manual car, but my service agent told me he'd driven the manual version and the car felt pretty strange.
    You also have to consider resale value...These days non-F1 Ferraris are harder to sell

13. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

I have driven a 599 6 speed. Or should I say, 2 speed. It was good at first,but somehow the shifter cam out of adjustment.They upgraded the shifter shaft. The rubber isolator was getting too floppy when warm.

I Highly recommend the F1.

14. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    #16 andrew911, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
    I am a die hard 6-speed fan, and spent lots of time finding a 6-speed 360....but I was fortunate enough to drive a fellow f-chatter's 599GTB and Enzo. I will say in the 599GTB, the F1 suits the car very nicely- the generational difference and calibration between the Enzo and 599 F1 was quite noticable, and the 599F1 system is simply amazing. The 599 feels like it was meant for an F1 whereas I'd still want a stick in something like a 360/430/458 (no stick offered as of now in the 458- the bastards!)

Don't get me wrong- personally I'd be happy with either a 6-speed or F1 599, but it's not as much of an issue to me as in the mid-engined cars- I'd be happy with either.

This issue for you is it will be difficult perhaps to try out a 6-speed and see if you like it as there are so few...which I guess is the reason for your post to begin with...I'm sorry for the ramble- it's Friday!

-Andrew

15. glabbe

glabbe Karting

Jun 18, 2014
    Leonard, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dr. Gary Labbe
    There is a Ferrari 599 with a manual transmission for sale on Ebay. You could probably contact the owner and discuss the car with him He states that there were only 33 produced.

Here is the URL

Ferrari 599 599 GTB | eBay

16. HogPilot

HogPilot Karting
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 9, 2014
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Todd Williams
    The previous post was nearly 5 years ago!

17. brad599

brad599 Karting

Nov 22, 2012
    seattle
    Full Name:
    brad
    Wings, I just left you a PM. I'm happy to chat about my 2008 manual 599 anytime.

18. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Hmmm - it seems to me (on eBay, anyway) that manual 430s are selling at prices as high as the Scuderias. Mostly due to there rarity. So, whilst i agree with your points on F1 vs Manual in modern Ferraris, the few manual ones will always sell quickly and at very high prices - for all the wrong reasons, of course. :)

19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There's a sign post up ahead, next stop, the Twilight Zone! :D

20. HogPilot

HogPilot Karting
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 9, 2014
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Todd Williams
    lol. Necroposting ... The practice of resurrecting dead threads!