599 6-Speed Manual-Would like feedback | FerrariChat

599 6-Speed Manual-Would like feedback

Discussion in '612/599' started by Hawkeye, Oct 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I ordered a 599 today in manual, 6-speed transmission. I have a couple other F1 transmission Ferrari's and thought this would be a nice change, a flashback into the past for a V12. The order was accepted by Ferrari but I have until Monday for any final changes. Does anyone think this is a serious mistake? I don't take any long trips in the car and it's mostly a weekend driver for a few hours here and there. Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

2. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    This is a religious argument that has no right answer. If you are a manual believer you will like it.

When you go to sell it you will reduce your target acquirer audience by a significant percentage, a large percentage. Some subset will find it attractive though.

There are not a lot of complaints about the 599 F1 tranny. If this were a 575m or a 360 if would be a different story and a stronger case for the manual, but this system has achieved a high level of refinement.

I have a 575m and recently drove a 599. Night and day.

3. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Exactly. I hated the F1 in my 360 but love it in my 430. The 599 I drove with the F1 was incredible.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Have you driven a manual transmission 599? I haven't, but know people who have, and they didn't like it. And these are manual transmission guys.

5. ccr2002

ccr2002 Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I drove one of the earliest manuals delivered here in UT...I didn't really like it...the clutch/flywheel revved so easily it was difficult to coordinate....and I love manual more than f1...maybe it was just the early ones, but it definitely had flaws...everyone who drove it thought so.
    ccr

6. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    I'd take the manual over the F1 any day, but I am very biased and anti-automatic/paddle.

7. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    real driver's use 3 pedals. no argument the f1 tranny will be faster, but are you planning to competitively race the car? You made the right decision and I think 6speeds will have better resale down the road.

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    That was my reasoning. I won't race the car, maybe a DE track day here or there but not in search of trophies, just want to really enjoy the car. I bought an 08 599 with an F1 transmission to see how I liked the car (599) not the transmission. I love the car but here's my honest opinion. It's a beast, it's a big car and the interaction is lacking.

Sitting there, pulling a paddle on the highway or on the way to starbucks is not that much fun. In fact, I find myself pulling paddles for no reason. I'm not really concerned with the "re-sale factor" of people who won't buy it because it's not an F1. I'm looking for more fun out of the car. I have a Scud and love the F1, but the 599 needs a little more. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

9. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Congrats mate! :):)

What colour combo did you go for? :):)

10. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
  11. osalah

osalah Rookie

Sep 22, 2009
    I drive the manual 599.
    I would never have it any other way. I feel involved with the engine. It is a mighty engine. With the F1, which I had in my F430, I was a spectator. I feel the speed, I feel the clutch. This is my daily driver. In Los Angeles traffic. And I would never have any other way. The clutch will need some finesse - you will master it. The F1 is a cop out.

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Thanks for the kind note. Rosso/Beige -Daytona Seats/Rosso Inserts - Carbon Engine Cover/Carbon Driving Zone and Lower Zone - Stainless Shifter Gate/Knob - Registration Plate inside with my name on it above glove box. 20" Challenge wheels

13. Sareve

Sareve F1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Singapore/Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Carbon Engine Cover? What's this?

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well done.....

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks, and welcome.....

16. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    #16 andrew911, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a post that's not really relavent to the thread but I just want to say the 599 is an amazing vehicle. I had the good fortune of driving this one for a couple of hours thanks to a fellow F-chatter! The generation of F1 in this car is amazing, but I'm sure the stick is excellent as well and could understand a buyer wanting the stick. Really though, I just wanted an excuse to post a picture for inspiration to CM1 (as if he needs more things to make him want the car :)

-Andrew
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    When you open the hood (bonnet) there is black plastic with the 599 GTB logo on it. The plastic surrounds the engine and covers some electronic components and washer fluid systems etc... Instead of plastic, this one will have carbon fiber.

18. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    #18 andrew911, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. Sareve

Sareve F1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Singapore/Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Wow I didn't know this was an option! I don't recall seeing it on the list. Was this a special request?

20. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    #20 Hawkeye, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
    No, not a special request, it's a option for the 2010 car, an $11,000 option. However, I saved those funds by going manual instead of F1, so I thought I would have a little fun with this option. I think the code is CEL2, I'll double check.

21. Sareve

Sareve F1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Singapore/Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I think it'll look fantastic, can't wait to see pictures of your car man! It'd be interesting to see what new extras the 2010 models have. My dad's 599 is a 2009 model and we didn't get to pick this option.

That being said... $11,000 for something you'll hardly ever look at? Don't get me wrong, I think it'll look great, but don't you think it'd make more sense on a 430 or 360 because they have transparent engine covers while our cars have normal opaque bonnets.

22. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Unsold 07 6-spd sitting at Houston dealer for 2.5 YEARS, build date is Jan/Feb 07. 150 miles.
    http://ferrari-maserati-houston.ebizautos.com/detail-2007-ferrari-599_gtb_fiorano-3054435.html
    Just flying out the door.
    Real drivers have driven what they're preaching about. Hard. F1 doesn't need competition, just driving hard and turning and braking seamlessly. Which is why they use in racecars, not vice versa. They just perfected it on track. Otherwise, we'd be *****ing about our 430 Valeo's.

23. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I was told that this was why Richard sold the car, didn't really feel like the manual gearbox worked with the car. He repurchased his 550 barchetta, waiting on the convertible version of the 599 last I heard.

24. xeviuus

xeviuus Rookie

Jan 8, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    John Won, MD
    I had 07 F1 599 for a while. I traded in for 08 430 Scud F1 which I love. But I really missed 599. They were just different car. But second time around I decided to get 08 599 in manual. (I traded in 997 GT2 for it) I totally understand what people are saying about manuals. It's true that F1 probably much faster in the track when you are driving 8/10th or 10/10th. But for the most guys (myself included) we'll be driving 99.9% of time on the street. Having manual makes light to light driving so much more involving and fun. I remember my F1 599 I was playing with the paddle for no reason. I think my left foot was bored and making my brain to play around with paddle. Trust me it gets old. On Scud, F1 make sense since whole car's philosophy is track purpose so it fits the car. But on 599, I vote manual. I think you've picked well!

John

25. redlightrich

redlightrich Karting

Jul 28, 2009
    north New Jersey USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Hi Chad, my opinion FWIW, is if you are not terribly concerned with future resale value and time alloted to sale, and you desire more "involvement" with the driving of your car, then by all means, get the manual trans. I don't care what racers choose, as they are trying whatever they can to drop valueable tenths of a second at the track. On the street where you will do most of your driving, the fact that F1 can shift as fast as 150 miliseconds or faster, has little to do with the overall driving experience. Ferrari has a great F1, but there is tremendous enjoyment in shifting the old way. In vintage muscle cars, a 4 speed can add 20% to the value ( on certain models). There is a reason for that.
    Hope my bit of support was helpful. Enjoy it whatever way you choose!!

Kind regards, Rich