Battery charger question - Zivan | FerrariChat

Battery charger question - Zivan

Discussion in '612/599' started by popsmuf, Jan 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. popsmuf

popsmuf Karting

Jun 20, 2006
    SoCal
    Hey guys

Got in my car over the weekend and sure enough, battery died. Picked up a Zivan Ferrari charger and went to go plug it in but cannot find where it goes to?

In my manual, it says right side panel of the trunk. I removed it but only saw fuse boxes and such and the HUGE battery

Stupid question but where the heck is the plug for the charger? I don't see any round recepticles with the 3-prong??

I have a 2006 scag. Do the cars need to be prewired or should they all have the charging receptacle?

Thanks

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    In the OTO, it's behind a panel on the right side of the trunk. I'm not sure if the pre-OTO cars are all wired for it or not.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #3 tazandjan, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 2008 and later 612s came with a standard CTEK battery charger with trunk mounted receptacle. The earlier 612s had an optional Zivan with the connector in the trunk starboard side panel. If you did not have the factory Zivan as an option originally, the wiring may not be there and it may be difficult to connect. Here is the receptacle location. Page 245 of your owners manual. Hope the prewire is there for you.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. popsmuf

popsmuf Karting

Jun 20, 2006
    SoCal
    Terry,

Thanks so much as always. I looked up that page, and i do have that "tube w/ key" recepticle... however, the weirdest thing is, when you turn that key to expose the metal, its not a 3-prong... i guess the charger's 3-prong is just there to make contacts on 3 points

Thank again, you are an infinite source of knowledge. I'm going to go try and hook it up now

5. popsmuf

popsmuf Karting

Jun 20, 2006
    SoCal
    #5 popsmuf, Jan 20, 2011
    I cant see the darn thing.... i dont think my car is pre-wired for it...

Take a look at the picture attached. The red key is the battery off switch, but I dont see any cylindrical item in my trunk...

so what are my options now? I have to do a traditional jump on the car?

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I would not jump it at all. Buy a regular battery charger, not a maintainer, at any auto parts store, turn off the battery switch, and charge the battery. After it shows it is fully charged, turn on the switch, start the car and let it idle for 10 minutes with all accessories turned off (A/C, radio, etc) to reset the Motronic ECU. Or just drive it gently and it will do the same thing, only take a little longer. Then buy a new battery and throw the old one away.

If you got a leather case for the Zivan charger, put the charger in it and use it for show in the trunk. Or sell it. You can then buy a $69.95 CTEK with alligator clips that will work fine. That is what I use and I just have it in a Zivan leather case. It may be possible to buy and fit the OEM Zivan connector, but they are not notoriously reliable and I am not sure it is worth the trouble.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

7. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi Taz!
    Can I connect the factory Zivan charger without turn off the master switch?
    Thanks!

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    David- Affirmative, no problem. Designed to work that way.

9. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    As some of you may know I had heaps of trouble with my last battery and I jumped it 3 days in a row.

I asked the Ferrari dealer mechanic and he said that Battery to Battery was completely fine.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Maybe so, but I would not do it. Too many horror stories.

11. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    That's a fair call.

An issue could be disastrous.

12. c-dog

c-dog Rookie

Sep 14, 2012
    I have my charger hooked up but must be low since the door locks don't work or the trunk release. How can I open the trunk?

13. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Not sure on the 612, when I had mine, never lost the battery, but my 599 was dead Wednesday, and had to put my charger on. Manual release is under the centre console, on the 599 lift out the rear tray of the console, just under there is a loop which if given little tug, boot releases. As I said, can't remember on 612 but may be similar

The citek chargers are much better in my opinion, had those fitted before as they came with permanent ends which could be fitted to the battery, and the unit itself plugs into it, that way, encourages you to leave on trickle most of the time. The big unit I have is so clumsy and picky to fit, you can't leave it attached hence I had my dead battery

14. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat
    Hi Guys , I have some questions about the factory charger:

My car is a 09 599 GTB and the delivered date was in FEB 2009 and I'm the second owner , I think the battery is the original that came from the factory.

1) Since the battery is pretty old , should I have to connect the factory charger to the battery all the time if I don't use the car everyday?

2) If I buy a new battery , should I have to connected also to the factory charger if I don't use the car everyday?

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mohammed- There are so many variables that make that one difficult to answer. If you drive the car every 3-5 days, you probably do not need the charger. Mine has not been on the CTEK I have for the last five years. If she only gets driven every 2 weeks or so, and that sometimes stretches to 3, then I would have the charger on all the time. If your battery is weak or over 5 years old, put in a new battery. Very cheap insurance. Everything in between the 3-5 days and the 2-3 weeks is a crap shoot and depends on the car.

Many owners disagree and have their charger hooked up any time they are not driving, so let others chime in with their opinions and experiences.

One thing for sure, low battery charge can cause some serious squirrels in Ferraris, especially when starting.

16. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Taz is right,

I just went through this whole Battery Business and the simplest and easiest fix was simply to have a new battery installed, now she works absolutely fine.

PS - The OEM charger is rubbish and I have upgraded to a better one that I really would only use if I know that I am not going to be driving my car in the next 1 - 2 weeks.

17. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat

Thanks alot Terry.

I have no problem yet but since its almost 5 years old I should change it.

18. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat

Thanks alot CM - any suggestion about what brand should I order if I don't want to use the factory charger?

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #19 tazandjan, Nov 19, 2013
    Mohammed- Ferrari makes a CTEK they sell with Ferrari colors for about $200 or you can buy the same one without the red paint for about $70. The CTEKs have proven to be very reliable.

Wait, yours is an 09 so it comes with a CTEK in a little nylon case. That is a perfectly good charger with the hook-up in the trunk. Would not hesitate to use it. The Zivan that was optional in late 06 and early 07 has not been very reliable.

20. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat
    Hi Terry , Yes , you are right , my connector charger came with a little nylon case , inside the factory red bag that has all the covers for outside and inside, so I probably don't need to change it.

Thanks alot Terry for you useful information , I really appreciate it.

21. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat
    #21 Modena_2003, Nov 20, 2013
    Hi Terry ,

some pics of it , is that what you are talking about?

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mohammed- Affirmative. Bought one myself at a fire sale price ($70), but too much trouble to adapt the connector to my 575M, so sold it to a 599 owner. They work great.

23. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I replaced my battery recently-- but, it was 5 years old, and for the original FIAMM I think that's reasonable.

I keep mine on the charger whenever it's in the garage.

24. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat
    Thanks alot Terry.

25. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat

Hi Don ,

Mine is almost 5 years old too , will change it next time I go to the dealer.

thanks for your advice.