612 seat belt issue | FerrariChat

612 seat belt issue

Discussion in '612/599' started by bayareaferrari, Jan 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bayareaferrari

bayareaferrari Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2004
    California
    Has anyone ever had issues with their seat belt system where is causes the airbag light to trigger? Mine came on and the dealer says they need to replace the seat belt buckle as it is over charging the belt .

Seems strange to me and also how there would not be a simple fix so that the belt would not create more charge than required.

Anyone have knowledge around this issue?

2. Chett. L

Chett. L Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I have an issue with my back seat belt, it is stuck and will not release. This problem does not effect the airbag. Eventualy I will get this fixed I have no idea how expenceive this will be. When I bought the car used I did not know it had this problem.

Best regards,
    Chett

3. bayareaferrari

Dec 19, 2004
    California
    That is strange and it could just me jammed.

The front belts are tied into the airbag system. They have a charge in the belt that can build above normal levels causing a malfunction in the airbag system creating a saftey issue.

This cost to repair is over $1K to replace the buckle. These are the things that really piss me off when it comes to Ferrari. Here you have a saftey issue with the belt buckle/harness installed and in 4 years the thing fails. This has never happened in our MBZ's or BMW's--if it did I can gaurentee you that they would replace it no questions asked.

I have had the same side worked on 2 other times for this issue(airbag light) one where the sealt belt buckle/harness was replaced under warranty and the other to fix a lose connections. Now 18 months after the 1st repair under warranty the buckle goes again.

These really seems like items Ferrari should stand behind..Still would like to know if anyone else is having this type or had this type of issue

4. popsmuf

popsmuf Karting

Jun 20, 2006
    SoCal
    I havent had any issues with this yet, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for this.

I agree with you, this is a safety issue and should be replaced no questions asked. Mention this to your dealer and see if they step up and do the right thing. I'm sure if you email a FNA representative, I would hope that they agree regarding its safety issue and replace for free

keep us posted!

5. bayareaferrari

Dec 19, 2004
    California
    Spoke with FNA regarding this issue. They discussed with the dealership and will be taking care of this issue. I was very impressed by FNA and the speed in which they took care of this.

6. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Thread resurrection - I am currently experiencing this issue in my 612 OTO, is there a way to repair the buckle or is the only option to replace the buckle. Seems a weird thing to just "go". Thanks.

7. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    Must be contagious as I am now getting an airbag error message. I had it before but that was due to a low battery. As this time it was towards the end of a 700 km journey I assume that's not the problem unless the battery is on the way out?
    The car was brilliant on the combination of highway and mountain passes though. There is a road from Martigny up to the Col de la Forclaz that you must drive if you have the chance as it is perfect for the 612.

8. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Hi Giani. It's evidently either the electronics in the buckle that fail or the connector to the loom. A new buckle is about £150. Seems to be more common on the passenger side in a RHD car.

9. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    The message seemed to come up before I fastened the seat belt? Didn't happen today but I only had to move the car so not sure if there's a lasting problem or if it was just a one off.