599 engine control system failure | FerrariChat

599 engine control system failure

Discussion in '612/599' started by Irish, May 13, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Irish

Irish Karting

Mar 18, 2009
    Just had this flash up with an engine icon anyone familiar with this is it death con 5 or can I safely drive to shop about 2 hours away.

Thanks in advance

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Happens sometimes. Shut the car down and let sit for a few minutes. Open fuel door and check tightness of gas cap. Turn key over and let all audible beeps complete before pushing start button. You can drive to dealer (no worries) but try to clear code first by restarting and driving.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #3 tazandjan, May 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've been advised not to reset the ECU using the battery master switch, but I certainly could be wrong about that. The line I heard was that it could cause more issues than it would fix.

5. Irish

Irish Karting

Mar 18, 2009
    Thanks for the help / suggestions. It was in fact gas cap issue, had code cleared and now all is "beuno"

I think that why I like older cars, no ECU and no beeping

Again thanks

6. swb3

swb3 Rookie

Jan 9, 2010
    I experienced the same thing last year. I am 600 miles from the dealer and so I took it upon myself to disconnect the battery. That cleared the message. It happened about five times over 1200 miles. I spoke with the service manager and he indicated this would not hurt any thing as long as I did not notice any change in power or performance, like a bank of cylinders being down etc. When restarting the car after the disconnect I was told to turn the key switch on but not to start it for two minutes to sync the key back up(?). I am not sure if I understood the reason for doing this.

When the car went in this winter I was told it had too much oil in the engine. I never added oil and at about 3,200 miles it was still overfull. The tech told me that there were service bulletins indicating this problem could be attributed to oil overflowing and touching some sort of sensor, additionally and apparently Ferrari has discovered that the oil reservoir holds too much oil. I was told the new full is at add one liter. When I questioned him on how to check the oil he said " if there is oil on the ground call us and don't drive the car, if not don't worry about it, this engine does not burn oil, it's a Ferrari, engines are what they do". I understand this may be controversial but it is what I was told. Good luck!

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    SWB- The 60 seconds (2 minutes with a fudge factor) in position II (on) is to let the ECUs baseline themselves.

If the oil is overfilled, it can contaminate the mass air-flow (MAF) sensor and other sensors. Dry sump, modern Ferraris carry so much oil, there is little chance of running low. More damage by far has been done from overfilling than running low on oil. Your car carries ~13 quarts or 3+ gallons of oil. That is actually more than the engines in the the F-111s I flew. They only held 8 quarts per engine.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

8. Ferocity

Ferocity Rookie

Jan 14, 2012
    The error message came up for me in my 612 also. It was about 15 minutes after a re-fueling. I'm pretty sure I tightened the gas cap ok. But nevertheless it came on.

I used the battery reset procedure above and all is well again.

Remember to locate your radio code first! Otherwise no radio until you find and enter it.

9. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Not that simple nowadays terry! Since the birth of the "Florence" electrical architecture used conversely in modern Ferrari and Maserati cars, disconnecting the battery or cut off switch can cause errors to be stored in the body computer, which is kind of the central processor that joins all the various can lines and ecu's together. These errors then merrily cruise up and down the various can lines, flagging errors in other ecu's. I've seen issues with high resistances, random fault codes and even partial system failures. Every time I hit the battery kill on a 612 or newer I carry out a full scan with the sd3, there are always faults!

10. Cleavlander

Cleavlander Rookie

Jun 26, 2016
    Hi Everyone....i have a 2009 599 GTB....has 7000KMs.....yesterday that DAMN light came on....drove it to a restaurant and after dinner the light came on...drove home no problems and starting investigating the root of the problem. As many of you here stated - i did two things

1) removed gas cap....filled the car up and put the cap back on TIGHT..and CORRECT...there is a sensor in the fuel system that can trigger the light...

that did NOT do it....alone..

2) came home and with a TORX40 wrench disconnected the battery pursuant to the owners manual...I also called a dealer this morning and he suggested to do the same. Make sure you turn everything off in the car and roll down the windows a bit...just in case..

left the battery off for about literally 5 minutes...turned it back on and

VOILA...the freegin light is gone!.....

So I think the combo of these two approaches worked like a charm...the TORX40 wrench was 3.99...much cheaper than the drive to dealer and 600 bill for them to do the same thing...now
    I will go to the dealer to read the alarm code on the computer...cause i want to go more in depth on this issue..

11. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    This issue must be contagious.

I also had the same issue in my 612. Messed with the filler cap, but did not resolve. The car was driving fine, despite the warning.

Fortunately, my annual was due and the shop was able to get it reset with little difficulty.

In regards to the radio code, who listens to the radio? :)

12. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    I'm just curious where would one find their radio code? I'm not the original owner.

13. BTX

BTX Karting

Jan 13, 2008
    France
    Ferrari dealers only ;)

Do you own the key card?

14. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Are you saying only a dealer would be able to provide a code for the stereo?

15. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The radio car will be on a credit card sized card that was included in the owners manual pouch with all of the other manuals. The dealer might have the radio code if they were the original dealer that sold the car and had noted the radio code when they sold the car. Otherwise the radio must be removed from the car in order to see the radio serial number and get the radio code from Becker.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    All so no one will steal a radio no one wants anyway.

17. BTX

BTX Karting

Jan 13, 2008
    France
    Yes, there are two cards delivered with the car.
    - The radio car (often the codeis reported on the user's manual)
    - The key card

18. Stefan75

Stefan75 Rookie

Dec 25, 2023
    Full Name:
    Stefan Friedl
    Since I am very grateful for all the information I could gather in this great Forum, I also want to share my little experience as a new owner of a 2006 599GTB.
    Taking the car out on my first (real) test ride after buying, I had the following issue: On +/- full throttle shifts at around 100km/h (60mph), the F1 gearbox switched to neutral instead of the next higher gear; this happened 2-3 times, then the engine control system failure light went on.
    A little frustrated (a little because I still have warranty ;-)), I drove home slowly, althought everything still seemed to work alright (both the engine and the gearbox).
    I didn't dare to take it out on another ride but I tried to resolve the issue.
    Reading through the hints in this forum, I tried locking the car and let it sit for a while - didn't help. I tried to disconnect the battery for some minutes - didn't help. Everytime, the engine control system failure light went on/stayed on after starting the engine; although, again, everything sounded and felt alright when the engine was running.
    Then I followed another great hint I read, I switched the ignition on (turned the key in position II) and let it sit for 120+ seconds - I didn't touch anything during this time; It was explained that all the control units in the system would synchronize during this time. Then I fired her up and - voilà - the much desired green "engine on" sign displayed, the engine control system failure light did not show!
    I took the car on two rides since (total approx. 60km - i.e. 40mls), full throttle shifts were no problem, it didn't miss one shift - neither automatic nor manual, neither down nor up - everything was just as it should be. It is a great car!
    My interpretation of the issue: There was a miscommunication between the ECU and the TCU, leading to the missed shifts and further leading to the engine control system failure light showing. Turning the ignition on for 120+ seconds led to the ECU and TCU again synchronizing and clearing the fault. No guarantee, just my thoughts.
    Therefore, please accept my very sincere thank you for helping me by sharing your experience, I hope my story will help someone some time.
    All the best for 2024!
    Regards, Stefan

George Vosburgh likes this.
  19. Chindit

Chindit Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2008
    Navarre, Florida
    Full Name:
    Nick P.
    I bought this inexpensive Autel AP200 https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AP200-Bluetooth-Professional-Automotive/dp/B07QD4GZW4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=LXCEHILCSROL&keywords=autel+AP200&qid=1704037991&sprefix=autel+ap200,aps,240&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc and keep it in my glove box for times like this. For the price it is an absolute no-brainer. It seems to me that these cars have such sensitive electrical systems that momentary faults can and will occur from time to time...especially if the battery voltage is allowed to drop due to cold weather or infrequent use. The AP200 can help take some of the guesswork out of the troubleshooting process, and is capable of showing you hard data that can be useful and informative. If it was a 'momentary glitch' (which has happened to me several times), it may be able to clear the fault so that you can be on your way. If nothing else, you will have a better understanding of where the issue lies.

Stefan75 likes this.
  20. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I remember Taz talking about allowing the car to cycle on before lighting her up. I have always done this for years even when the car is up to temperature and I've never had any problems. It's an important step in my opinion.

21. Stefan75

Stefan75 Rookie

Dec 25, 2023
    Full Name:
    Stefan Friedl
    Thanks for the reply and your tip; I bought a Foxwell NT530 some week ago but it hasn't arrived yet, then I need to guess less. The battery was kept on a tender and the temp was about 10-15°C when the fault occured. my faultles longer test ride after was taken at about 2-5°C, so the tempereature alone should not be the reason.

Chindit likes this.
  22. Stefan75

Stefan75 Rookie

Dec 25, 2023
    Full Name:
    Stefan Friedl
    George, what do you mean by "allowing the car to cycle on"? I turn on the ignition and wait until it says "Check OK", then I start the engine. Is that what you mean?

23. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Turn the key to the "on" position and wait. You can hear all the electronics cycling. When all the chatter is over, push the button and then wait for "Check OK".

Stefan75 likes this.
  24. bryanchin

bryanchin Karting

Jul 7, 2016
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    Bryan Chin
    Ya, i bought the Foxwell unit as well... i de-catted my car... i usually uses it almost weekly lol... best investment so far ... i put it in the glove compartment.. whenver i drive my cars and meet frens with Porsches, they like to poke fun at Ferraris saying.. Christmas light cars... if the CEL does appear for wahtever reasons, i'll clear it before i drive into the car park .. lol..

Rex71 and Stefan75 like this.