Official 599GTB Manual Transmission Thread. Last of the breed? | FerrariChat

Official 599GTB Manual Transmission Thread. Last of the breed?

Discussion in '612/599' started by open roads, Sep 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Hello to all. I am interested in learning all I can about this subject.

From my research there appears to be a challenge with clutch take up and feedback.

Surely the last will be the best, right?

2. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    So I'm going to guess that there isn't so much to say about these rare beasts.

3. Fiorano57

Fiorano57 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 23, 2010
    I doubt owners of these cars are going to say anything bad but the simple fact is that the 599 was designed with the F1 transmission in mind only...The manual was only made in 07 and only a small percentage were made so that should tell you something..The few articles I have read were not favorable...Kevin

4. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    There are three cars available today. I'll try to get the serial numbers and start this data accumulation.

I had felt that this thread might involve a do-over of the clutch mechanism that I was/am contemplating. I have to have a car first though and then assess what I have.

A different ratio in first might be a fix. Some say it is so low as to be almost useless except on a hill. I was thinking there might be a clutch engagement and take up problem.

Then again, recent posts indicate it simply requires your skillful attention. That's a good thing I think.

5. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    It depends on where you search for these available cars ;)

There is one for sale here in Geneva, Switzerland, s/n is 150332 - but it might be a bit far for you.

Best,

6. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Lots of threads on this do a search. Go drive one. If you like it buy it.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    First on a 599 is only a bit lower than first on a 550/575M Maranello, 13.167 vs 12.325. Once you factor in rear tire size (28.4" vs 26.2"), the 599 actually has a higher gearing/tire diameter ratio than the Maranellos (12.147 vs 12.325). The three pedal six speed in either the Maranello or 612 works fine, so it would have to be something other than the gear ratios. Most Ferraris are geared like drag racers.

Would certainly like to try a three pedal 599 and see for myself.

8. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    I don't know anything about the difference between a manual 599 gearbox and a F1 style gearbox, but I think in general there isn't that much difference!

Ferrari used the shift gearbox also for the F1 gearbox, there is an hydraulic and electronic system added to change gears and to operate the clutch. Perhaps gear ratios and some other things have been slightly changed ... but I really don't think they so! Just have a look at eurospares or ricambi and campare spare parts!

If you like a manual 599 try to find a manual one, if you don't like it's probably not that hard to find one:)

Does anyone know how many manual 599 were build?

9. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    last i heard < 10

10. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    I don't know anything about the difference between a manual 599 gearbox and a F1 style gearbox, but I think in general there isn't that much difference!

Ferrari used the shift gearbox also for the F1 gearbox, there is an hydraulic and electronic system added to change gears and to operate the clutch. Perhaps gear ratios and some other things have been slightly changed ... but I really don't think they did so! Just have a look at eurospares or ricambi and compare spare parts!

If you like a manual 599 try to find a manual one, if you don't like it's probably not that hard to find one:)

Does anyone know how many manual 599 were build?

11. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Based on the number thar are always for sale I bet it was more than 10.

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    F12- The gearboxes are identical, as is the gearing, and so is the clutch, on F1 and three pedal cars. Only the throwout bearings and shifter mechanisms are different and there are a couple of extra sensors on the F1 cars.

13. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Many more than 10, there at least 50 if not more.

14. Blue4reF1

Blue4reF1 Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Plantation, FL
    Full Name:
    Blake Simon
    +1 There is absolutely more than 10. Also 07 was not the only year you could get a 6speed. Saw a '10 manual at The Collection in Coral Gables, FL a couple months ago.

15. stradleboy

stradleboy Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    There should be around 20 in the states. I have seen 3 and driven 2. My owner has one and he drives it all the time. I am not a fan at all of the 3 pedal 599. I am though a huge 3 pedal fan but its just not fun or right for this car. The 599 was designed specially around the F1 super fast system and it really shouldn't have been able to be had with out it.

16. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    #16 TOOLFAN, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
    2007 was not the only year of production That is not true at all. I have personally an seen 06 and 08 with CCBs. My friend sold his 06 stick (which he spec'd) because he "hated the gearbox", he bought a 599 F1 and loved it.

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Michael- I did not know there were any MY 06 599s. You sure?

18. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California

Positive, at least by build date. It may have been an 07 MY, but it was definitely built in 06.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Michael- Affirmative, 06 build date but 07 MY.

20. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Do you have any pics or info about the manual 2010 car? From all that I have read and seen they stopped making manual 12s (612 and 599) after 2008.

21. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    and 2010 wasn't the last year for a manual transmission 599GTB ...

22. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    There was an HGTE manual built as well, per atelier.

23. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I had the opportunity to drive the stick at Ferrari New England. Thanks guys.

The clutch did bite hard at just the wrong spot making it difficult. Remember your first time?

The engagement point was quite high. The first thing I would do is move it way down to give myself a better chance.

In addition, the power would (very briefly)cut off abruptly when having a good full power dig in second or third, even though I didn't feel as if I was anywhere near loosing traction or creating wheel spin. It did act a bit like the ASR on the 456 or 550. Very intrusive, not progressive if that is what it was. No indicator was illuminated on the dash.

I want the car (who wouldn't) but I have to have comfort with these things.

24. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I heard from a respected friend that he believes it just isn't ever likely to be a comfortable thing.

I don't want to accept this. Even though I understand certain airplanes like the F18 for example are unfliable without the aid of the computer.

I just want to rebel and question everything. I want the car that I want even if they didn't quite make it perfectly for me. I want to believe that nobody took enough interest or cared enough about what you and I might want. ... Preferring to point to the future while using an abacus to determine that THEY have no real interest in advancing this archaic and obviously outdated instrument. ... That would be a clutch with your and my foot effecting it.

I don't want to for a minute accept that I am not up to the task and that I MUST have a computer to do this for me. NO, NO, NO.

I am not likely to go silently into the night. There are times in which I feel my passion is waning.

I eagerly take up the challenge.

I do not want to draw the ire of Ferrari, the company that makes the products I love. But I must question why every other manufacture does not or has not had this problem.

I generally like the products as stock.

No way baby. Not this time. It isn't acceptable. Not by a long shot. If I can't do better. Well I'll be relieved that you didn't fail me/us.

The alternatives are looking good. But as I said. The passion may be waning and I do not want it to. I am Ferrararisti.

I just want a couple more good runs on the open roads.

VColin likes this.
  25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stan- There is a freeplay usually specified for max clutch life, so you may not be able to move the clutch engagement point. If it is just high, you will get used to it. Have had several cars that were like that. A pain at first and then....

Also, I have a lance and used to live very close to a windmill (Soham, UK). But I could be wrong. My tech modified the pedals on my old C6 Z06 to make it easier to heel and toe. Not supposed to be able to do that, either. Worked great, especially with Ultimate Pedal set.

Hang in there.