Strange whistling/squealing sound.... | FerrariChat

Strange whistling/squealing sound....

Discussion in '612/599' started by doctorj!, Dec 25, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Coming from behind the drivers/passangers seat. I was driving as I normally do. Oil and water temps were fine, and an odd whistling sound started coming from behind the seats. When I shifted gears I heard a slightly louder squeal. First time I have heard this. I stopped the car, waited a few minutes and started again. Engine check was OK. The same sound was coming, and it almost seemed like it was coming from the speakers behind me...
    At one point it did disappear.

Has this happened to anyone? I am pretty freaked out and will call my Ferrari of Central NJ service on Tuesday.

Ankur

2. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    i think its the fuel pump, that somehow gets hot; when you fill up the gas tank, then it disappears

3. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Gas tank is at more than half. I'm just hoping its nothing major....

4. spyke

spyke Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2011
    Place To Be
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Let it check on the Ferrari service.

5. F45T

F45T Karting

Dec 25, 2011
    Lost Island
    Full Name:
    FAST
  6. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    I saw the thread about the 458 but it's not the same source of the noise. The sound on mine is coming from directly behind me.

7. F45T

F45T Karting

Dec 25, 2011
    Lost Island
    Full Name:
    FAST
    It could be the speakers. Just let it check in Ferrari of Central NJ service and let us know. I don't have any idea what could be the cause of the noise.

8. Fiorano57

Fiorano57 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 23, 2010
    Do you hear the sound in certain gears..? Does it increase with speed? Could it be a belt noise.? I don't think a differential would make a noise like that? Do you hear it with the windows up/down? Maybe just something simple like a window/door seal.. My 599 is quiet except for exhaust,lol.
    Please let us know what you find out.Kevin

9. GrigioSilverstone

Jun 5, 2011
    Gearbox oil....change the gearbox oil. ;)

10. SP33D

SP33D Rookie

Dec 26, 2011
    San Fernando, Spain
    Full Name:
    K.D.
    Ive encountered this before but have no clue what was the cause. After my routine check up on my 599 before here in SF Ferrari Service, this weird noise was gone but I never bother to ask them what was that noise and where it came from.

I hope this problem will be fix by tuesday and it would be nice if you tell us what this weird noise was about.

11. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    It actually got louder as I slowed down. No one specific gear was louder vs another. Windows were completely closed.

12. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Ferrari of Central Jersey found nothing. I'm driving down there tomorrow to take a spin with their lead technician.

13. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    Sounds like a stuck solenoid or noisy one possibly?

Hope things go well. Please let us know what it was.

Thanks
    greyhair

14. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Just an update.

As of today, the car has been serviced on regular intervals, and no one has been able to replicate the noise or find any issues (which is good). All fluids have been changed.

However, the noise has popped back up multiple times while I am driving. It seems to start when I go over a bump sometimes. And it goes away on its own.

Wide World Ferrari who did the last service said the noise might have something to do with sound system which is a Kenwood touch screen retrofited. So today the noise came up again, and I turned off the stereo system, but the noise persists....

What now?

15. migg48

migg48 Karting

Jul 7, 2006
    A long shot, but you could use your cellphone to record the sound, slowing to let it get louder, and play it for your service tech......

16. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    I did that, and they felt it was the sound system!
    But the noise continued even with the sound system off.

So confusing....
    Comes and goes but starts up sometimes when I hit a bump.

17. 06Spider

06Spider Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2010
    Red Sox Nation
    If you have an amp for your speakers it may be wired so the speakers still draw power even with your head unit off. You may have a loose wire that shorts when you hit a bump and then releases after another series of bumps. You could be getting a squeal from the short. Basically like a feedback loop. Just a shot in the dark here. Try pulling whatever fuse is connected to the sound system and speakers. Usually there is a big inline fuse on high end systems.

18. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Speakers are stock. No amp.

19. 06Spider

06Spider Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2010
    Red Sox Nation
    I'm out of ideas as far as the sound system goes. Stumped.

20. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Same here :(
    However, I am pleased that multiple Ferrari mechanics have not found any issues with the car.