Stay away from Gated 599 GTB.... walk away... | FerrariChat

Stay away from Gated 599 GTB.... walk away...

Discussion in '612/599' started by F1 MONZA, Jun 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1 MONZA

F1 MONZA Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2004
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    Well my deal is all done. My Gated 599 GTB is on her way to a new home.
    I had trouble lots of trouble using the gated shifter on the 599 GTB. Where I live I have steep hills. And every 30 yards I have a stop sign and a Police officer waiting.

I burned the clutch and the fly wheel. It cost me 6,900 dollars for the damages. I drove the car with the Ferrari tech will it seems 599 gated transmission do not do very will on steep hills. If you live on flat streets its fine. You do not have to worry to much about frying the clutch. For the moment I rather go back to basics. I located a 1997 550 Maranello. With 3,000 miles. I am working out the deal still.. I will post pictures after the final sale of the car. It has been in storage and barely driven.
    If any one is considering a gated 599 GTB just go with the F-1 Transmission. Is not worth the hassel of having a Gated 6 speed on a 599 GTB. Ferrari made a huge mistake building the 599 with a gated shifter. 90% of the gated 599 GTB were buy backs from the information I got recently. I bought the car for $223,000.00 I sold my 1995 F512M with just 3,000 miles. And lost my pants and shirt on this raw deal. Well okay I sold the 2007 599 GTB $185,000,00 But owed the leasing company 65,000.00 I condider my self still lucky getting that much. Ferrari of beverly hills offered me $155,0000 for my car. Since it was gated. Few customers hated the gated shifter on the 599 GTB. I wish Ferrari would do there home work a little better. Even Mickey Mouse from a wooden barn could have done better. At the end of the day I still lost and Ferrari well I do not think they give a damn. I will save up and buy a 2010 599 HGTE within two years. Hope by then the prices will fall a bit more once the new car is out....
    or may consider a f430 scuderia....
    My best advise for any one is to stay stay away from a gated 599 GTB.... JUST WALK AWAY.....

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I always though it was the F1 clutches that got burnt?

There is a technique for getting a car moving with race type clutches ... without doing a race start. Not the same as a Toyota Corolla and slipping the clutch is NOT how you do it. A common issue with Porsche 930's too ...

Please note I have never driven a 550 Ferrari but my last club race car had a carbon ceramic 2 plate clutch and it was impossible to slip, but then again I never went shopping with it.

Good luck with your F1 550 :).
    Pete

3. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    You said it was "easy to drive once you get the hang of it." What happened?

4. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Was the clutch petal of your car really high when the cluch was engaging?

I drove one where it was very high. So much so that it made the engagement difficult to judge.

5. F1 MONZA

F1 MONZA Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2004
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    It took me a while to learn the proper way to shift. My Testarossa was much easier to shift on steep hills. I had two other fellows teach me to drive this car they too had problems. Well just when I thought I was getting the hang of it. I did my best and could do no more.
    I could do no more.. Its just too hard to drive it not like a standard gated shifter. It was not meant to have a gated shifter....

By the way the 1997 550 is gated 6 speed. not F-1 .....

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think you bought a car with a clutch that was already 80% gone. Driving on steep hills with stop signs at the top just finished it off..There is no way ferrari would ever be able to get away with selling a car that burns out a clutch that fast..and honestly I don;t see how its possiable without a little abuse on the drivers end of things.

I will agree that the 599 is far better with the F-1 set-up..quite the monster

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Good to see you have stayed with a real car, ie. one where YOU change the gear :).

Pete

8. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The OP writes as if he is a half-wit.

I've got a three pedal 599 and it rewards competent drivers who use a little finesse when engaging the clutch. And when on a steep hill, starting from second gear always does the trick.

The gated shifter 599 is an extremely rewarding car to drive, the more you drive it and spend time with it.

9. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    I wonder how much the OP made use of the handbrake in hill-holding and coordinating release with clutch-engagement. The type of clutch wear reported seems unreasonable to me, especially if the handbrake was or is properly used to minimize the wear incurred on inclined starts.

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I would have thought starting in second on a hill would make matters worse ... confused?

Pete

11. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You can start in first, from a stop on an incline or level surface, with no problem. When coming to a stop, instead of trying to put it in first, start from second.

12. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    What about for those of us who hate f1 system? Should we be denied the opportunity to have what we want simply because you're too incompetent to manage three pedals? From what you say it sounds like it. Gotta be a big shot too posting up how much money you spent--tacky, very tacky.

Just my pennies worth.

13. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    I live in an area with steep hills and traffic lights, but I have absolutely no problem with my gated 612. On very steep hills I use the handbrake to help me get away, and my experience is that I don't really need to work with the clutch. There is enough torque.
    But maybe it helps that we drive sticks all our lives here in this part of EU.
    My experience is exactly the opposite of yours. Driving away with a "slipping" F1 clutch on these steep hills is imho harder on the clutch.

But I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I thought that the 599 clutch was rock solid compared to my humble 612 clutch.

14. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    All 550s have manuals (except for the one F1-equipped 550 owned by the Sultan); the F1 transmission wasn't incorporated into Ferrari's V12 line until the introduction of the 575M.

Good to see you in the model-specific subforums - thanks for picking up Chas' slack. :)

15. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

These comments do not make sense.

I understand your anger, but it was a commercial transaction with a depreciating asset.

16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Can you specify your source for this?

You're extrapolating your specific (dramatic) experience into 90% of all gated users.

Is 575Mike simply in the 10% that wasn't a "buy back"?

17. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Absolutely agree.

The engine has enough torque, such that both first and second gear ratios are more than adequate for moving forward from a dead stop. The problem in using first gear, is that the motor revs so effortlessly that some finesse is required to pull forward without excessive clutch/flywheel slip, while also managing a "smooth" pull-away (at the tires).

If the symptom on a used car is a burned clutch and/or flywheel, i think the culprit is a previous owner who revved excessively while pulling-out ... maybe even burning out ;) This is hardly a fault of the design, or car itself. There's nothing "wrong" or even "unusual" about the gated 599's, other than: a freely-revving motor with very healthy torque, combined with a low/short first gear ratio.

18. ALPINE6SPD

ALPINE6SPD Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2006
    NJ
    A gated 599 is still a dream car of mine and I am glad to hear this is just an isolated incident. Now all I have to do is win the lottery.

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #19 TheMayor, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    Since when is burning a clutch going up a series of steep hills all the time a cause for calling someone a half wit?

Sounds perfectly logical to me.

I've noticed that anytime someone posts a problem with an F1, some 3 pedal person always gets on and says "should have bought a 3 pedal". But, when someone complains about a manual, they get all defensive.

Why is that?

The OP doesn't like a 3 pedal car. That's some kind of crime?

20. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Why don't you re-read what I wrote and what the OP wrote. Comprehension is half the battle.

By the way, you accusing others of being "defensive"... lol

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Look, I don't say you don't have a point. But, "half wit?". Give me a break.

The guy can't drive the car in his location -- and he's a half wit for that? I guess you're a full wit?

22. olehegle

olehegle Rookie

May 30, 2011
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Ole Andreas Hegle
    Hi

I'm quite new with a 456M manual and it seems like there is a lot of opinions about how to release the clutch, what is the best way to do this? To release the clutch pedal relatively fast or slow til the cars move and then release fast?, ... or?

- Ole Ansdreas

23. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Do you understand the distinction between doing something/writing something less than intelligent and not being intelligent? Again, perhaps go back and re-read what was written.

Anyway, I'm not sure I have any wits left in me at my age. Hopefully, maybe a quarter-wit! :)

24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm not looking for a fight here. I just think half wit is about the same as "retard" and pretty uncalled for.

It's pretty clear the OP has driven manuals before but had a problem with the 599 in his situation. And, he's frustrated about it so he posts it.

That may be right or wrong but the label half wit I think doesn't advance the argument.

What I think we want are people to post here without fear of being called names. The OP has a legitimate beef IMO. And, some good may come to others about how to avoid the same situation.

I don't think we need a rah rah fan club like a certain "competitor to Ferrari that shall go nameless" site where you get banned if you post something negative about the car. If we can't freely exchange ideas, then what's the point of posting here?

That being said, I'm sorry this thread got off track. Let's get back to what's important and that's commenting on the OP's issues.

25. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hard to explain. You don't want to ride the clutch to 40kmh, but you don't want to pop it at 15kmh. You'll get the hang of it. The 456's are not happy until they're moving from my experience. Just be smooth with it and you'll be fine.