Engine system failure warning in 612 | FerrariChat

Engine system failure warning in 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by StickBreitling, Mar 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    I first had the dreaded 'engine system failure' light come on during Christmas day having just serviced the car 3 months earlier. It was the first time I ever saw it and I was worried at being stranded at my sister's place. To my relief, the car started up perfectly and got me home without issue.

I had the code cleared by a dealer a few days later and all was good. They mentioned that some sensor was showing slightly above average but still within tolerances. A full strip down would be necessary to find the cause ($$$$).

A few weeks later the light came on again. After reading about what it means on these forums, I decided to ignore it. I read about the loose petrol cap, but that wasn't the cause. I didn't want to risk disconnecting the battery in case that caused more problems.

It turns that after a couple of heavy footed accelerations to test the 4 second 0-60mph acceleration, the code magically cleared itself. I was actually testing to see if the engine had engaged safety above 3/4000 revs.

Moral of the story: I've concluded that the light comes on whenever I'm not accelerating fast enough! I think the 612 needs to clear its lungs now and then with a good dose of high speed.

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've gotten that message. It usually happens if I hit the start button before the computers are fully up and running. If I wait for a few seconds after turning the key on, so that the gauges are all stable, etc. then hit the start, it's not an issue.

3. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I've had same issue. Try keeping the tank above 1/2 full. Seems to help.

4. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Had the gas cap issue a couple of times. It clears by itself eventually.

5. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    many of the 612's will have fuel level sensor errors. there is an updated sensor to resolve these.

6. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I've had similar issues and realize that it depends where I fill up gas.

Some gasoline is just not up to par for these cars & it seems the computer just reflects it with the idiot lights on the dash- Assuming there is no light for 'bad gas', the engine issue light seems to be the cars manner to let you know that the engine isn't happy...

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Don't you just love the overly dramatic warnings in these cars?

8. pcht5

pcht5 Karting

Jan 31, 2009
    Asia
    Full Name:
    PCHT 5
    This happened to me a couple of times too on my GTO. Later, I found out from the dealer that it might happen if the fuel filler cap is not close properly. Close it tight and restart the car and it should be fine. Hope this works on your car also.

9. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    I had the same issue yesterday Happening to my 2004 612 Scaglietti with just 22,000kms on the clock - last major service 12 months/1500kms ago.

We were driving slow in 6th gear (app. 110 km/h) due to cold weather (7 degree Celsius) and rainy roads.

All over sudden the e s f w warning came on at 1/2 full tank. It cam on and went off again. Today it came again after five minutes and stayed.

Car drives normal, idels well, oil presure perfect, low oil&water temp.

Could it be a catalytic converter Problem, too? Maybe too cold, low revs - wrong measure of air/CO mix???
    Any other suggestions?

It seems it is a bit of a common problem for 612s...

10. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    Hello,
    searched a bit "at the neighbors" - and found this on engine control system failure warnings:
    Cutt-off battery and try to see if the system resets.

" If you replace it, the technician, or you, will turn the battery disconnect switch to off during the replacement. That should reset all those problems. Then turn off A/C, radio etc, ignition to ON for 30 seconds, ignition OFF for 30 seconds. Ignition ON and wait for check ok, start car, and let idle for 10 minutes with no input. Drive gently for 20 minutes and everything should be back to normal"

Anyone agree with this?
    Or is disconnecting the battery causing more problems?

11. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    I ended up buying a cheapo OBDII unit from Amazon for about 10 pounds. Plugged it into the port under the dashboard and selected the option to clear the code. Easy peasy.

In the UK it's called a Maxiscan MS300 made by a company called Autel. The car has already been previously checked and the code cleared by a dealer, so I know it's nothing to be too worried about.

It's a cheaper option than buying a SD3 to clear the code.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    licodix- That is how to do it. It does not mean you should do it, or if you do it, your problem will be solved.

13. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    This engine failure sign drives me crazy... After fully refueling the 612 - it went off. :)
    After another 100km it starts to re-apear and gets off again.
    Was there an update with this fuel (level?) sensors?
    It is a shame to have these issues on such a wonderful car..
    Any advice?

14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Yes, there was a known problem with the fuel sensors, and yes, there is an update. I think it might even be a campaign, in other words they should do it for free... at least that was the case in the US.

15. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So what was the actual code? The 612 CEL is really a scary *****, isn't it? Like a "World is Ending" placard. I've seen a couple on my new-to-me 612. We pulled the codes and they're nothing that would be unexpected from a succession of owners that didn't want to spend money on a car. A good service is all she needs, but there was one code we couldn't figure out, 1614. Anybody have any clue on that one? There's a 575 code for low voltage ECU bearing that number so that's our best guess at the moment.

16. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    P1614 normally related to circuitry for key verification/immobilizer/security on most cars I've seen. Could be different on f-car though lol If you reset it, will it come back?

17. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That would actually make sense, set the alarm off. Josh at ECS couldn't come up with that. I don't know if it'll come back, but I have set it off once again since clearing, so maybe. Will let you know. Not having Josh do the work, decided on FOW. Will ask them to save whatever codes they pull.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #18 tazandjan, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
    P1614 in the 575M, which has the same engine, is a LH Bank ECU internal error. Corrective action is to use an SD3 to clear the error and check for correct operation. If the error persists, replace the ECU.

Has nothing to do with the alarm circuit.

19. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Okay, so Josh was right.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- If you are talking about Josh at ECS, yes, as a pro, he usually is correct and really knows his Ferraris.

21. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    He was actually rude with me last week, so my opinion of him has taken a giant nose dive recently, but up until then I'd heard mostly rave reviews. Heard one horror story about a corvette, but haven't heard anything rough about his work on Ferrari's. He's very young, very cocky. I liked that. I liked him. But I won't be doing business with him anymore. The car is at Ferrari of Washington instead, parts on order from Ricambi.

That actually brings up another question. The rear tie rods are loose and will need replacing in 4-5000 miles, but I've just heard this is a very normal problem and I'll need to do them again and again if I keep the car for years. So the question is should I just hang onto the tie rods I have coming from Ricambi for 2-3k more miles before throwing them on?

22. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    How many miles are on your 612?

23. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Just approaching 15,000.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

24. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    If you don't have misfire, I wouldn't replace ECU, it is probably well over $2k.

25. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    We pulled a couple codes for misfires as well.