broken pow wndow switch 612 | FerrariChat

broken pow wndow switch 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by halcm, Apr 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. halcm

halcm Rookie

Dec 2, 2012
    del mar, ca
    Full Name:
    hal michaels
    power window switch broke loose from inside on my 2010 612, is there any schematic I can access

2. Espressor

Espressor Rookie

Oct 29, 2012
    Same exact thing happened to me on my 612. My Ferrari tech couldn't repair it. Had to pay $1,200 for a new one. Seems like a flimsy assembly.

3. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    If you buy the switch- I'm interested in your old one if the face plate in the dash is in any good shape & it can be separated from the assembly...

4. Spiderguy

Spiderguy Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Full Name:
    Harry J
    The same thing happened on my 612 as well. It seems that it's cheaply made but expensive to replace.

5. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Please excuse my reply- I was referring to the power mirror switches

But I was warned when I bought my car about being careful to protect the power window switches- apparently they are notorious for breaking and being an expensive repair.

6. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    It seems some switches are not really the best Quality. Yesterday the mirror adjustament knob broke on my 612.
    Anyone an idea - I mean not to replace the whole light/mirror unit for some hundreds of $$$ just because the 20 Cent plastic part broke..??

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    612 owners should see if Verell would be interested in making the mirror and possibly the power window switches. He has done similar things for the 308 out of both aluminum and plastic.

8. Owain

Owain Rookie

Mar 15, 2012
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    Owain Richards
    I've given up replacing mine again, they still work with a wiggle and the new ones will break again in no time.

9. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    Do you knwo how to reach this People at Verell?

...and just a thought: isn't taht an issue for a 3D Printer??? Anyone experience in this?

10. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Broken on mine as well. Don't need it. window switches breaking would suck though.

11. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    When my mirror knob broke I removed the panel to see if I could repair. To my eyes there seemed to be a high risk of breaking other pieces in an attempt to disassemble.

I just bought another panel from Ricambi.

The cost of these pieces and switches are so high however that it makes sense to at least attempt a repair.

12. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Just click on my name & select [send eMAIL to Verell] :D.

Some pictures of the parts in question would be a big help. It may well be that the parts that break are fairly easy to reproduce. Would have to see how they are made, possibly I could provide a repair service.

I've been closely following the state of the 3D printer art, have attended several trade shows, and receive updates from most of the makers. 3D printing is rapidly evolving, but even the moderately priced ($20K & under) printers do not yet have the resolution to produce acceptable finishes, and most of the materials do not have sufficient structural strength or heat resistance for automotive applications. There are $100K + units that have the resolution, but I'm not sure about the materials.

One thing that isn't well known about 3D printing is that the finished parts are porous, not completely solid as they are made up of many small droplets of melted plastic. The porosity affects structural strength as well as allows absorption of oil or other liquids that can eventually degrade the plastic.

Still, at the rate they are evolving, it is only a matter of time before they can do what is needed.

13. Svaerkettt

Svaerkettt Rookie

Aug 3, 2011
    Hi

My power window switch on my 612 is also broke....did anyone come up with a solution that NOT involves paying $1,200 for a new one?

14. GhostByte

GhostByte Karting

Jun 12, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Daniel T
    Nope
    :(
    Just replaced mine :(

Life is 2 short not to drive a Ferrari :)

15. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Verell, the mirror control is a tiny knob about a half inch in diameter obscured by the steering column. I wouldn't care what the replacement were made of or how it looked really, to be honest.

16. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Any chance you have the broken one? If so, I'd like to borrow it to see what would be involved in repairing or reproducing it.

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You 612 owners should jump on Verell's offer and have him be able to produce 612 mirror control and window switches, both of which are prohibitively expensive and break regularly. His 308 switches are indestrucible and indistinguishable from the originals, unless you tap them and find they are aluminum.

18. Svaerkettt

Svaerkettt Rookie

Aug 3, 2011
    I will send You an email with pictures. I would also send You the broken switch....only problem is that I need to be able to operate the window when leaving/entering my garage and the broken switch still works - although broken.

Let's see if we can work this out....seems like it would be appreciated by several 612 owners.

Thanks
    Mikael
    Sweden

19. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I don't mind loaning the button that fell off my window control and a high res close up of the post it fell off of if that helps.

My son tried pretty hard to get me on the window switch list today as well. Luckily neither he was fiddling with broke. Need to start locking the car more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

20. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    #20 trygve11, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Has the reproduction of these toggle switches for the mirrors progressed in any way?

On the window switches, here is the deal. The little rocker assembly has a left and a right detente that holds it into the rest of the assembly. When it breaks, one side's little round detente breaks off and the rocker switch now floats. See the top and bottom rocker in the attached photo for view of the tab broken off versus the middle one showing the tab intact.

For the mirror switch, the 612 uses the exact same switch as the 2005 to 2013 Maserati QP except for the knob is a simple black knob on the QP. I just ordered this switch for about $50 from Ricambi! Fits perfect. And at some point I may try to transfer the silver knob over to the QP switch but it looks like a PITA.

Any assistance on creating the window rocker part would be great! Since the rocker is the only part of the assembly that breaks, it would be a great fix.

Or if someone could get it drawn, I could have it made on a "soon to be commercially launched and very inexpensive" 3D printer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    HA! My drivers side switch broke last week on my 06 612. Headed in next week to LFSC to get it replaced. Good to know its only $1200!!!

22. NickKerigan

NickKerigan Karting

Mar 17, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick Kerigan
    Would be happy to join in with anyone working out how to make a cheaper power mirror replacement switch. My car is at the Ferrari dealer - they are asking £550 for a new one AND it has to be ordered from the factory (which is helpfully closed for the summer break)...

23. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Before I purchased my 612, it also had the Drivers Window Switch replaced in 2013.

The cost at the certified CA dealer was $1,227.19 for the new switch + $225 for labor.

Total Cost: $1,452.19

Glad that was taken care of before purchase!

24. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Even if I fixed mine, I wouldn't use it. It's more fragile than the wheel on a $5 Lego car. Since I won't use it anyway, and it's staying in place, I see no reason to fix it. If however an aftermarket alternative arises I'd be in if I still have the car which seems unlikely on both points.

25. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    All 3 window switches show signs of wear and it would be nice to replace them with something reasonably priced...