Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 612/599

Reply
 
Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Piper's Avatar
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Full Name: Bob
Posts: 14,655
My Garage
Leather TLC

My seats especially appear to have never really been cared for very well. What to use to arrest or reverse the process? TIA



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1366551496931.jpg (57.8 KB, 402 views)
__________________
The Watchmaker keeps to his schemes
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #2  
Old 04-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Norfolk, VA & NC
Posts: 204
I'd try giving them a good cleaning with 1z Einszett Deep Plastic Cleaner. Great stuff, and despite the name, it's safe on leather. As always, though, apply to a small area first, just to see how it reacts to your leather. After cleaning, apply Leather Master Vital. The great thing about Vital, as opposed to many leather conditioners, is that it's water based.

Here's a link to some really intense leather care knowledge:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ditioning.html

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-25-2013, 06:05 AM
Esoteric Auto Detail's Avatar
Formula Junior
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Full Name: Todd Cooperider
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
My seats especially appear to have never really been cared for very well. What to use to arrest or reverse the process? TIA



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Perhaps it's just the photo, but it looks like there are a few different colors in those seats. Is it original, or has it been re-dyed at some point?
__________________
Todd Cooperider
Esoteric Auto Detail - America's Premier Ferrari Detailer!
9801 Karmar Ct.
New Albany, Ohio 43054
www.esotericdetail.com. Detailing Services
www.EsotericCarCare.com Product Sales (use code FCHAT10 for a 10% discount!)
Todd@Esotericdetail.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Piper's Avatar
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Full Name: Bob
Posts: 14,655
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric Auto Detail View Post
Perhaps it's just the photo, but it looks like there are a few different colors in those seats. Is it original, or has it been re-dyed at some point?
Its original but the wear marks are dirty. Any respray would have covered the factory blue stitching. Finished replacing the shields but have some home projects to complete before I can take up the leather care. Looking forward to picking this back up though. The 612 I purchased definitely needs love and care and lots of miles logged


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
The Watchmaker keeps to his schemes
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Esoteric Auto Detail's Avatar
Formula Junior
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Full Name: Todd Cooperider
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
Its original but the wear marks are dirty. Any respray would have covered the factory blue stitching. Finished replacing the shields but have some home projects to complete before I can take up the leather care. Looking forward to picking this back up though. The 612 I purchased definitely needs love and care and lots of miles logged


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
OK good...you need to be careful when (heavy) cleaning re-dyed leather. In my experience, the best solution for restoring / preserving leather is the Leatherique system. Despite the name Rejuvenator "Oil", it is indeed a water-based product. While you can't get rid of the natural folds and creases that appear over time, you can reduce them. Below is a link to an application / process article I wrote a few years ago...hope this helps.

Leatherique Leather Care How-To | Ask a Pro Blog
__________________
Todd Cooperider
Esoteric Auto Detail - America's Premier Ferrari Detailer!
9801 Karmar Ct.
New Albany, Ohio 43054
www.esotericdetail.com. Detailing Services
www.EsotericCarCare.com Product Sales (use code FCHAT10 for a 10% discount!)
Todd@Esotericdetail.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-26-2013, 05:51 AM
Piper's Avatar
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Full Name: Bob
Posts: 14,655
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric Auto Detail View Post
OK good...you need to be careful when (heavy) cleaning re-dyed leather. In my experience, the best solution for restoring / preserving leather is the Leatherique system. Despite the name Rejuvenator "Oil", it is indeed a water-based product. While you can't get rid of the natural folds and creases that appear over time, you can reduce them. Below is a link to an application / process article I wrote a few years ago...hope this helps.

Leatherique Leather Care How-To | Ask a Pro Blog
Thank you very much. Will follow.
__________________
The Watchmaker keeps to his schemes
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9
I have used Griot's Garage leather care products for a number of years now. I have been pleased with the results.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: London & Melbourne
Full Name: John
Posts: 545
My detailer removes denim stains on tan leather seats with a "magic sponge". I don't know what he uses, but will find out. I sure works wonders in no time at all and leaves the seats spotless.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #9  
Old 04-26-2013, 05:21 PM
cmparrenzo's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kansas
Full Name: Chris Parr
Posts: 2,604
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fineito View Post
I have used Griot's Garage leather care products for a number of years now. I have been pleased with the results.
I have also had good results with this product..
__________________
www.crescentclassicrally.com "The largest and most respected Ferrari Rally in North America" - Ferrari Market Letter
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6
Second for Leatherique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric Auto Detail View Post
OK good...you need to be careful when (heavy) cleaning re-dyed leather. In my experience, the best solution for restoring / preserving leather is the Leatherique system. Despite the name Rejuvenator "Oil", it is indeed a water-based product. While you can't get rid of the natural folds and creases that appear over time, you can reduce them. Below is a link to an application / process article I wrote a few years ago...hope this helps.

Leatherique Leather Care How-To | Ask a Pro Blog
I second this recommendation. I bought the 32 oz Leatherique kit from Esoteric and followed this process on a sadly neglected interior. Although it's not a Ferrari, and I'm aware different leather surface treatments will behave differently, I'm also not a pro detailer. Just an avid enthusiast. Sorry for the iPhone based pics.

You can still see the damage from the years on the steering wheel, but the seats came up beautifully. The PO (prior orangutang) used some "cleaners" that were pretty aggressive, and this erased ~90% of the issues I'd had. The bucket was pretty dirty a the end!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2264.jpg (33.9 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2257.jpg (246.6 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2259.jpg (223.3 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2270.jpg (288.7 KB, 162 views)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Piper's Avatar
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Full Name: Bob
Posts: 14,655
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemspecialist View Post
I second this recommendation. I bought the 32 oz Leatherique kit from Esoteric and followed this process on a sadly neglected interior. Although it's not a Ferrari, and I'm aware different leather surface treatments will behave differently, I'm also not a pro detailer. Just an avid enthusiast. Sorry for the iPhone based pics.

You can still see the damage from the years on the steering wheel, but the seats came up beautifully. The PO (prior orangutang) used some "cleaners" that were pretty aggressive, and this erased ~90% of the issues I'd had. The bucket was pretty dirty a the end!
I ordered up the same kit a couple days ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
The Watchmaker keeps to his schemes
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Atlanta
Full Name: Michael
Posts: 191
+1 leatherique. use it on all my cars and kept a 20 yr old BMW with 180K miles looking almost new.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 AM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.