612 Exhaust and ECU w/o TOO LOUD | FerrariChat

612 Exhaust and ECU w/o TOO LOUD

Discussion in '612/599' started by Piper, Apr 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Rick L. from another thread: "Poor English but they simply ain't worth driving unless they have 12 cylinders! The music they make is very addicting."

I can hear it, but not well enough. And I wouldn't mind eeking a few more HP out for grins. What I would like to do is find the best possible compromise getting some additional performance out of her, improving the gorgeous howl from the exhaust, but not making the car antisocial or anti wife and kids. Don't want a LOT louder. But would like a little better exhaust note and don't mind doing a front to back exhaust replacement and ecu flash later this year. Would love suggestions. Maybe just buy a front to back replacement but keep the stock muffler?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- You already have straight pipes from the cats back to the muffler cans, so unless you want to eliminate the catalysts, not much you can do with the front exhaust. Plus you will not pass emissions with them gone. You have precats and catalysts.

Some choices are to plug the bypass valve hoses and see how you like that, fit HGTS/HGTC/HGT2 mufflers if you can find a used set, or fit an aftermarket rear exhaust. If you get a valved aftermarket rear exhaust, it should be quiet enough until you romp on her.

3. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I have a Maranello X-host available for the 612.

I replaced it with a Tubi- 'more sound' version- which basically means---LOUDER

If you're interested, Please let me know- The sound got complimented many times, I just have no wife/kids to worry about & I like it louder.

Please let me know if you have any interest...

4. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I had a look at the x-ost site. Wish they made some hp claim. But yes, thanks, I could indeed be interested later this summer. I'm in line for a belt and gasket service first. So your exhaust just gives it a little more growl? Might be a good way to go. the full power package from a company like wheels and more is a LOT of dough. I found that link through another thread here but haven't seen much in the way of reviews on the package. Current exchange rate puts their stage two package at $25k. Prohibitive really.

5. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    It's always nice to have more power, but a 612 is no slouch right off the lot.

Most of the tuners I've notice do ECU remapping & fit an exhaust. Although I've never seen any claim of hp gains with exhaust only.

If you are eyeballing any set-up that seems to make sense, please share with the rest of us...

6. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I'm not saying a correctly tuned exhaust can't help the hp numbers, I've just never seen them defined or claimed quantitatively.

7. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There are some that do for the 360/430 setups. But yes, best I can tell none do for the 612. And I agree it really isn't necessary.

Thanks for the PM. I'll probably pick up your exhaust later this year. Car needs a great deal of work to get well sorted, belts, seals, gaskets, both intake and cam covers, adjust cams, bleed brakes and F1, clean fuel injectors, plugs. I knew this going in. I've never been the one paying for the service on the last two, but this time it's my turn. I'll know when done she's ready for the 10k min I intend to put on her in the next couple of years.

8. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hey Piper,

After several exhaust experiments I found that the Tubi was a very good choice. Had HGTC, then Tubi, then Supersprint, then Fuch. Tubi was probably my favorite but I was looking for every HP - so the Fuch was what I settled on in the end but its too loud.

BTW... I believe I settled on a 4.56:1 gear ratio... Its written down somewhere. That was years ago.

Modena_2003 likes this.
  9. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks much. Appreciate it. What's involved in recalibrating the speedometer after the re-gearing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

10. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Not a thing. It never was any further off than my Strad is now. Made zero difference.

11. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    How is that possible? What was the original gear ratio?

12. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Mo, the Tubi is significantly louder than the x-ost? And you have just the mufflers and tips? With or without valves? Thanks.

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    champagne612 had the HGTC exhaust (not sure if that's different from what you have?) with the bypass valves removed...it sounded awesome, nice bark down low and got progressively more aggressive throughout the rev band without being obnoxious. if you're going to DD this car I'd recommend going that route over aftermarket. just my .02

14. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have a base '05, actual build was Dec '04. Very entry level and definitely no HGTC.

I'm really falling in love with this car, lemme tell you. I'm actually looking forward to spending a bunch of money getting her serviced. That's new. It's really funny. For me, the 612 was really hard to warm up to, but now that I'm driving one, it's hard to believe I put up a fight. Amazing car, and what bargains. Good gracious. 530 v12 hp with room for four, under $100k. Good gawd.

15. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Simple, Ferrari speed readings are drastically optimistic. My unchanged Stradale speedometer is nearly 10MPH over at an indicated 90.

So was that 612.

Secondly recalling from way back I am not certain that the speed reading was from the transaxle. The car I modded was a 3 pedal. It just had a plug in place of several sensors in fact.

16. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I need to drop by FOW tomorrow to discuss whether we're adding cam seals and intake gaskets to the service I'm having done. Probably will. I'll ask about the mechanics at that time. Mine's F1, not 3 pedal. Wonder if they have a dyno, don't recall seeing one. Would like to know if my speedometer is off by that much.

17. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Get a free speedo ap for your smart phone. Very useful. I use "speedometer free"

18. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Wow, never ceases to amaze me. Didn't cross my mind to look for an app. Lost my range finder this year so need to check for a golf app as well. Bet they're almost free by now. Thanks for the tip. But how do you know how accurate "that" is? What's the deviation of cell GPS? How far off rails can I send this thread? Let's find out.

19. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Interesting and somewhat embarassing update, not that I mind a little egg on my face. It happens. Just back from Ferrari of Washington, got a good look at the 612 from every angle. I simply assumed I had the stock exhaust. Well, uh, I already have Tubi mufflers and tips :) :D In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "One less thang".

But that one less thang has been replaced with a few other thangs.

20. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hahhahha!

Pretty far.

Hey... Sweet Gods of unexpected gifts are smiling on you with that Tubi.

21. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    How does it work on a 612 to plug the bypass valve hoses? Are the valves fail open or closed? Which hose to plug, the large ones? ( and what to do with the ends?)

Thanks for enlighten me.

Steve

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #22 tazandjan, May 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Steve- They are fail open, so you can just remove the hoses from the pneumatic valves and plug the hose ends to prevent groad being ingested. You can see the hose connector on the pneumatic valve in this photo. Tie the hoses out of the way if they are loose.

Alternatively, get a Capristo remote control that allows you to open the valves or leave control to the Motronic ECU.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That, the aftermarket sound system and wheels are worth quite a bit to me. Also found out the intake gaskets had been done. Bonus. As I suspected, belts have NEVER been done. Rear tie rods or at least the joints are failing. Signs of a very slow f1 leak as well we need to isolate. None of this is a big surprise. What does surprise me is the number of successive owners that just didn't give a ****. This car is going to love me.

24. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I'm surprised you have the Tubi already & started this thread by saying the sound effective enough to let you in the what you were driving.

I'm in the process of installing the 'more sound' version of the Tubi for 612. There is no provision for valves on Tubi's.

Overall Tubi is my personal fave.

If you're still not in love with the sound, you may consider the 'more sound' version too- It's something that I had brought up recently in another thread because I believe that version is often overlooked.

PS- Post a pic of your beast- We'd like to see ;)

25. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #25 Piper, May 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Coming from a 360 and 430 I'm used to a little less sound insulation I guess. We drove to cars and coffee with the windows down today and it sounds great from the outside:) but you can only tell passing an area where the sound bounces back. Its fine.

Image Unavailable, Please Login