599 Shocks | FerrariChat

599 Shocks

Discussion in '612/599' started by Hawkeye, May 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Need new shocks for the 599 HGTE. They are the Delphi shocks, any leads on where I can get the shock only without the entire $2000 per wheel shock assembly?

2. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    I had to replace a front shock on my 599, not a HGTE, it was quoted at over $3,000.00. I talked to EVERY Ferrari parts supplier in the U.S. and the U.K. No one is rebuilding these shocks or offering parts. I admit I am not aware of the difference between our two cars, I wish you the best of luck.

FYI Mark in parts at Ferrari of Denver came through for me with some very aggressive pricing, it would be worth a telephone call!

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chad- Do you have the part number for your shocks?

4. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    Can you guys share the approx mileage the shocks wore out? FYI I have over 16k on my car and still going strong (or so I think!).

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Funny that they went from the indestructible Mannesmann-Sachs shocks on the 575s to something that apparently causes problems. Hopefully not a systemic problem with the Delphi shocks, because they offer some big advantages over conventional shocks.

6. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I wonder how closely they relate to Corvette shocks??

I wouldn't be surprised if they were awfully similar

Surely someone is working on the Vette shocks...

Sunseeker76 likes this.
  7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    My 599 HGTE has 13,000+ miles on it. Had it up on the lift, oil leaking all over both front shocks and the ride is starting to get rough. I'll have it back up on the lift next week and I'll try and get a Delphi part number.

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    not being a smartass....see if you can source parts from a Chevy or Cadillac dealer (IIRC they were also used on the XLR).

9. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    HUMMM.... Mine is up on the lift right now.. I'll have a look in the next few days when I get the opportunity.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #10 tazandjan, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
    Valving will be different on the two cars, but there may be someone overhauling them. If someone passes me the HGTE shock Ferrari part number, I can check a couple of sources.

A little more research in the 599 GTB, HGTE, and GTO parts catalogs shows they use the same updated complete shock absorber, part number 257058. Ricambi does not show these in their catalog, so might be worth calling Daniel. The updated shocks are available from the two English sellers for a bit less than $2K each. Nothing separate for just the shock absorber.

11. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Mine lasted 19k miles. Car was upgraded to HGTE at around 9k miles

12. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    Right- my understanding is its the same shock between the GTB and HGTE. Just a different program, different springs, different rear anti roll bar.

I took the car down for a drive and then I realized I never took a picture underneath it- apologies.

Side note- I just put a set of super sports on the car and the grip is a big improvement off the MPS2 but the bigger surprise is the ride quality- its MUCH improved. With the MPS2 I had to be a little judicious with deploying the power in lower gears- now I can just let the horses loose- they just grab the pavement and don't let go. Just for the sake of clarity, this is when the car is pointed straight! Im still careful when powering out of corners- you have to respect it no matter the grip of the tires. Anyway they don't make the OEM 305s with the SuperSports, we put on 315s and they work (and look) great. These tires resolved the sometimes "brittle" ride quality which was my one real complaint with the car.

13. thusly

thusly Karting

Wow - I just purchased my 2010 599 HGTE after a ppi from a Ferrari dealer - had some miles on it when I got it - 19k. Put 2k miles on the car (some fast driving, but nothing hard) and now the shocks are leaking...... An achilles heel of the car????

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chad- I did some research on the Corvette forum and there have been some leaking shocks, usually at 40K miles plus, and usually only one of the set. Corvette owners are just replacing the leaking shock. But there are conversion kits for conventional shocks that included an ECU simulator to prevent suspension lamps for high mileage cars where the owner does not want to spend $600 each (we wish) for replacements. Some MRC (magnetic ride control) Vettes have made it to 100K miles with no problems.

Nothing about a rebuild service. Corvettes weigh 500-600 lbs less than a 599, so I guess that could explain the quicker wear.

15. jerry430

jerry430 Karting

Apr 13, 2010
    stupid question, how did you guys notice the oil leak on the shock ? i just got the 2007 599 with 10k miles on it and i feel the ride is kind of rough compare to my previous 458 or the 430... is that the sign the shocks might be bad ?

LjT likes this.
  16. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    u guys can switch to KW coilovers, which is cheaper, better, and multi adustable.

17. thusly

thusly Karting

And the price quote from the dealer to replace all four shocks...... $15k. One can buy a pretty darn good set of adjustable/coilovers for that (and have them rebuildable too).

18. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    I would also investigate the Novitec setup for that money.

19. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Does anyone on the forum have any experience with KW's or other coilover conversions on the 599? I've been toying with the idea of converting my car over to the HGTE suspension setup. It would seem it would be easier and maybe cheaper to go to aftermarket coilovers with the appropriate HGTE spring and damping rates during the process and avoid the whole leaking shock issue.

20. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    Just throwing it out there, but motor bike (race) dampers (forks, and shocks) are rebuilt all the time. I imagine if it is seals and oil that is required for a rebuild, it should be relatively straight forward. A revalve is more of an issue because the parts may not be available but could be made up relatively easily. Electronics hockus pockus could be an issue, but oil leak is a seal...

The aftermarket option seems like a good option to the really expensive hard to find replacements.

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Problem is that the mag shocks use a special oil with magnetic properties that varies the viscosity with applied voltage. Not something NAPA or Ferrari are likely to have for sale in a jar.

22. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Gentlemen,

We're continuing work on offering a solution to leaking / failed dampers for both the Sachs and Delphi design.

We need donation shocks, worn, leaking, what have you for testing.

Looking for all applications from 2000 to today.

We'll have either an active damper plug-n-play solution and/or a rebuild process for these late model applications.

Please let your dealer or favorite independent technician know too.

Call/ email / pm with questions.

Best,
    Rob

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

23. Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle Formula 3

Jul 9, 2013
    Carmel Highlands
    Full Name:
    Dan Kyle
    #23 Dan Kyle, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I do rebuild Ohlins Shocks, Mostly Motorcycle.
    The OEM Motorcycle shocks are Not designed to be rebuilt, nor do they sell any parts to rebuild them.

The normal replacement parts would include Oil, bushings, and seals.

If someone has an Old 599 shock, that they were going to throw away, I would love to see if I can rebuild it.

The hard part may be getting the correct oil.

I have a shock dyno as well.

Thanks
    Dan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thought I'd give this aging thread a bump. My new-to-me 599 is going to need shocks eventually. What's changed in the last year?

25. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    I'd be interested, too, as I just passed 17,000 miles on my '07 599. Also, what's the consensus on changing over to KW's when the factory shocks need replaced?