Gearbox oil and Change on 599 | FerrariChat

Gearbox oil and Change on 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by Superkart78, Jul 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Superkart78

Superkart78 Rookie

Nov 23, 2012
    Paris
    #1 Superkart78, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello,

I trying to find some data for the gearbox oil used on 599, looks like the original one is not very good and difficult to find.

Did you have any recommandation on oil type? Is there a DIY document on how to change oil on 599?

The idea for me is to used the motul gearbox FF 75w-140

I have seen the gearbox filter, it is very difficult to access?? and I think this is the refill bolt but i'm not sure?

Any help is welcome

Thanks

Merci
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    75W-140 will trash your transaxle and is way heavier than what you want for a pump lubricated system. Motul makes a 75W-90 synthetic transmission oil that will work fine. Look in your owners manual for the specs on lubricants recommended by Ferrari. Changing the brand of lubricant used is fine, using a different weight than recommended can destroy the component being lubricated.

jorge da cruz likes this.
  3. Superkart78

Superkart78 Rookie

Nov 23, 2012
    Paris
    I am really suprised with your answer, the 75w have the same caracteristiques than the redline also 75-140 superlight and looks to be oftern used, and same as 75w-90 at 40°C it change at 100°C and was the interest.

What do you mean by will trash your transaxle?

Talking with a Ferrari repair center in France he was saying he was using it fro circuit and high temp ...
    you make me unsure with this oil.

Do you have some bad experience with?

Some experience on changing gearbox oil?

4. Superkart78

Superkart78 Rookie

Nov 23, 2012
    Paris
    I have checked with Motul and they told me for the 599 the good gearbox oil is the 75w-90 gear300 or the regular one, the reason is not for the viscosity but as the 599 have a very quick gear box if there are too much additive to make the gearbox smooth then the gear didnot have time to be synchronized during the shift by the synchro gear, and this is making reverse effect.

Onto a slower gearbox the good one will be 300LS for exemple with a maserati gearbox where shift is about 200ms, may be same for the 550.

Thanks for the advise

5. YAMVS6

YAMVS6 Karting

Jan 26, 2011
    ohio
    Hello,fill plug is on r/s has a 22mm hex head,add oil till it flows out,install plug by hand,then run for 15 minutes,then remove plug and top up oil,75w-90 TF-1055,shell is recomended,good luck

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Whatever you do, be sure to un-do the FILL plug first, then the drain plug. Think about it, and you'll know why this order is important.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, too much slippery additive and the synchros will not work as well. In general, only enough additive to keep the limited slip from chattering should be used.

8. Superkart78

Superkart78 Rookie

Nov 23, 2012
    Paris
    Thanks for you comment

I will used the motul gear 300, yamsv6 thanks for your comment it was my idea and you confirm it.

Any commment for the filter??

Best

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Just remove the filter and clean it. Hopefully it is easily accessible.

On the F1 575M, you can only get the transaxle filter out about 2/3 of the way before the F1 actuator blocks unthreading it further.

10. Superkart78

Superkart78 Rookie

Nov 23, 2012
    Paris
    Ok,

Let's do it

11. Superkart78

Superkart78 Rookie

Nov 23, 2012
    Paris
    You cannot remove the filter completly on the 599 same as the 575 not more than 2/3???

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No, you should be able to remove a 599 filter. The 575M transmission was developed from the 550 transmission, which did not have F1. When they put F1 on the 575M, nobody took the F1 actuator blocking the filter into account. The 599 was developed from the start for F1.

13. Superkart78

Superkart78 Rookie

Nov 23, 2012
    Paris
    I didnot succeed the high pressure pump was locking me but I was able to clean it so not a major trouble.

As a comment using the motul gear 300 transmission oil, noise is really reduce and you can feel the gearbox very smoth compare to the TF 1055.

Good choice will see with time running if it's steel the same or getting worse

14. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    So folks - who of you changes gearbox & rear axle oil on 612s & 599s at all?
    I have had my 612 running on the same oil in rear & f1 shift for nearly 30000kms and thought it might be a good idea to change it. But it is not leaking, everything is running calm - so should I or shouln't I?

15. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    SuperKart, does your 599 have a manual transmission?

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    licodix- Recommended change interval on the 612 is every 2 years or whatever kms is stated in your warranty book, whichever comes first. The 612 transaxle has a pump fed lubrication system that is very rough on the 75W90 fluid. Many pros think the fluid is so beat up by the pump and transaxle it should be changed annually.

So, yes, sounds like it needs changing. It is not automatic transmission fluid.

17. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    Thank you!
    So which oils are recommended from the pros? The ones Ferraris SpA is recommending? Does the gearbox oil viscosity effect the F1 shifting?
    Important Information I would think! Great to have you guys!

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Any good synthetic 75W90 transmission/transaxle oil will work. Many of the pros like Redline, Motul works great, too. I use Valvoline in mine. All will work fine for the transaxle. If there is any chattering of the limited slip differential, a very, very small amount of LSD additive will cure it.

The F1 system uses synthetic automatic transmission fluid. When that is changed (3 years recommended for the 599, the latest maintenance recommendation for F1 systems), the system needs to be bled with an SD3 or similar. Ferrari recommendations on F1 fluid vary with model, on the 612 it is Fiat Tutela CS Speed, which is very hard to find. Last four liters cost me $50 each. Any good Dexron III or Dexron VI synthetic ATF or Pentosin CHF 11S will work fine, as long as the old fluid is completely flushed when changed.

19. Superkart78

Superkart78 Rookie

Nov 23, 2012
    Paris
    Licodix

In my case finaly , I change again the gear box oil for the motul 75-90 gear 300LS Limited slip with the standard one the limited slip differential was chattering.

Alexandre Jassinger likes this.
  20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Just make sure you do not hear any graunching during gear shifts. Some LSD additives in transmission fluid can make the synchro rings too slippery to do their jobs. They need friction to work properly.

21. Superkart78

Superkart78 Rookie

Nov 23, 2012
    Paris
    onto the 300ls motul said same a 300 plus additive for the limited slip, you thing it can became to fluid for the sync?

Wich one are you using?

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I use Valvoline synthetic 75W90 transmission oil and do not have a problem with chattering. If your transaxle shifts without graunching, it should be fine. Too much LSD additive can make the synchronizers ineffective.

23. Superkart78

Superkart78 Rookie

Nov 23, 2012
    Paris
    still not happy with the gear300 ls I will try to find TF 1055 seams not easy

24. vglnte1

vglnte1 Rookie

Sep 11, 2008
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Carter
    Is the 75/90 for the manual trans as well? Or just f1?

25. tomov69

tomov69 Rookie

Dec 27, 2013
    Can someone advice on how to completely drain the oil from the gearbox ?
    I would like to take all of it before I put the new oil .
    Thanks in advance