Immobilizer Issue | FerrariChat

Immobilizer Issue

Discussion in '612/599' started by Piper, Sep 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Guys, I've got an as yet elusive immobilizer issue that's becoming prevalent enough that I'm starting to get concerned about reliability. Not throwing any codes. Just simply every once in a while the immobilizer prevents the engine from firing. Cranks but no start. My service adviser though it might be a battery FOB issue. My tech rolled his eyes on that one but replaced all the batteries anyway FOC. Hasn't made any difference. There "might" be a correlation between which FOB I'm using, but need to test more to catch the trend. I doubt it. I want to drive the car to Myrtle Beach this week but am not sure I should, or rather, pretty sure I shouldn't. What do you guys think? I've been kinda expecting electrical gremlins to crop up eventually based on the apparently very ****ty stereo installation. I'm taking it into a shop soon, finally found a good one nearby, need to sort out the rear camera and mic which haven't been working since I took delivery. I'm wondering if the bad stereo work might have nicked or pulled or otherwise tweaked something that could be contributing? Not sure where to go with this, but pretty sure I don't want to spend a few grand on a new immobilizer until a last resort. Open to any and all ideas. Thanks, guys.

2. popsmuf

popsmuf Karting

Jun 20, 2006
    SoCal
    Piper

Not sure if this will help you, but something similar happened to me, although it wouldn't crank. It turned out to be loose screws holding down the fuses on the battery. On top of your battery, you have this tray that holds all the fuses. One of the screws was loose (I'm not sure how that got loose) and once I tightened it up, all problems went away.

3. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh man, great lead and thank you very much. I'll have it checked out tomorrow. Someone before me did have some shoddy work done, nothing damaging but clear signs of corner cutting as we were sorting through and getting it 100% this spring. The battery is, get this, a Rayovac. I had no idea Rayovac even made car batteries. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was installed cheaply as purchased.

4. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I would make sure to drive it as much as possible to expose the problem. Just make sure to have current towing service ready if it refuses entirely. This would probably be the dream scenario as they can then troubleshoot - nothing more difficult to trace than an intermittent problem.

Is the car battery in the trunk reasonably new? In other vehicles I have had weak battery cause all kinds of odd errors that completely went away when battery failed entirely and was changed for another reason.

Jes

5. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks for that. I drive it almost daily and am trying to drive it enough to get a code out of it, any kind of clue, but until today wasn't worried about actually getting stranded. I'll ask FOW for a tow service recommendation in the event it becomes necessary. I do not know the age of the battery, but I don't like having a Rayovac. What would you guys recommend? Not looking for the gold standard. What's the best priced reliable option? Thanks so much guys. I might just replace the battery now as it's one of the only things I'm not 100% on in the car currently.

6. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    I had this happen on my 599, the transponder in they key went bad and a new key had to be ordered. Then the codes had to be coordinated with the Ferrari factory, recoded and been fine ever since.

7. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So the key thing does make some sense. Okay. I'll stick my normal key away and use one of the two backups exclusively in addition to checking the security of the battery and connections.

Recommendations on a battery are welcome. I really would rather just replace, I think.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Interstate. Probably an MTP-91. What I and a lot of others are running. 85 month warranty and a heavy duty truck battery.

9. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Just swapped out with interstate battery too. Much more robust than the factory install.

10. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Mine has an interstate, which has been doing well - a run of the mill battery. I recall seeing some putting in much more expensive batteries, but not sure it is worth it.

11. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks, guys. Looks like the local NAPA shop sells interstate. Closed. Will call in the AM and see if they have one in stock.

12. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not at NAPA. Found one at Battery Warehouse. Scheduled appt with FOW.

13. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Six starts later and I'm cautiously optimistic we've exercised the demon. Thanks, guys.

14. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Nope. I still have a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

15. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    For anyone searching this sort of problem later, the next troubleshooting step is to swap the ECU's. The immobilizer is a separate little module that can only be ordered from Ferrari with new FOB's at an astronomical price. We hope to not get there. Another potential cause is a malfunction in one of the ECU's, most likely due to the dreaded epoxy cracking that seems to plague so many models. This problem can apparently occur from moisture damage from cracked epoxy on the encoded ECU. The other ECU is not encoded until swapped, but is once swapped, so you get one crack at this, no pun intended. We swap, see if it goes away.

Query the hive mind, why can't we do with Ferrari ECU's and TCU's with cracked epoxy what we'd to with any other electronic device similarly damaged, stick it in a bag of rice for a couple of day, re-epoxy and replace? Why buy a new one without attempting repair? Or do people indeed attempt repair?

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- If you are talking about the Motronic ECUs, they have not generally been much of a problem, especially 7.1.1 like yours and mine have. A problem with the Motronic DMEs would likely show up in several areas before it affected the alarm system.

The late model alarms in the F430/612 and later cars have not been as much of a pain as the earlier three fob systems. Do both your fobs give similar symptoms?

17. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    In what other ways would the DME problems manifest? What's a DME? The service adviser at FOW said they do see epoxy probs on these from time to time. A long time ago, I read the solution to the epoxy issue was a different epoxy, green in color? My build date is Dec '04, very early.

I'm trying to isolate behavior based on FOB but have nothing concrete to report yet. The problem is very intermittent, and when it happens, it might start perfectly the second attempt or take several. The FOB I was routinely using has been shelved for the time being to build a case against FOB #2 and so on. When it happens, I've been told by FOW to step out, close and lock the car for a couple minutes when this occurs, see what that does. Resets the process but if the process is flawed consistently, I'll be getting in and out a lot. Maybe I don't actually have to get out of the car, just lock it for a couple minutes with me in it. I'll ask.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    DME is digital Motronic ECU. The system that runs the ignition/injection system and is hooked through the CAN (network) to provide inputs to many of the other ECUs, including the Alarm ECU. My point was that if the DME were the problem, it would manifest itself in other ways like rough idle, missing on acceleration, CEL lamps, and not just a fob/alarm anomoly. But swapping ECUs will eliminate that as the problem, at least.

19. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So since symptoms wouldn't normally be limited to the immobilizer malfunction, that's more evidence that my immobilizer is the problem? Scary. Very expensive.

Dumb question, you think there's any chance of a wiring issue to the immobilizer? The stereo installation on this car is very suspect. I have no idea if the question even makes sense, no idea what any of this stuff looks like under the skin. Just putting it out there.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- As just an amateur, that would seem to be a higher probability than a DME problem. That or a bad fob. Fobs are not cheap, either. Around $750 last time I looked.

21. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The immobilizer is about $6k and comes with three fob's. Ouch. FOW says this kind of problem can go on for a very long time before becoming a dead stop, that I have the choice of just putting up with it. It does start first time more often than not, and just as often will start the second attempt. It's still pretty rare that I get flustered trying to get it started and I've never not gotten it started. I guess it's a safe bet it's not going to be getting any better though. I guess I'll get them to swap the ECU's at some point here, see what that does.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- You are reverting back to your 360. The 612/F430 and those with the modern alarm system only came with two keys/fobs. Looking at the F430 WSM, with the same alarm system, it looks like the Alarm System ECU has also integrated the immobilizer, unlike the earlier system.

23. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #23 Piper, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What do we make of this?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    That a previous owner had a 3rd key made ;) On a serious note: maybe this is an old problem and a previous owner thought that a new key/fob would resolve it. Maybe it did, and you have been so "lucky" to be using the "bad" one. All wishful thinking, of course, which never turns into reality with F'cars :) Happy hunting ;)

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- What he said. Read your OM, which says 612s, even very early ones produced in 2003, came with two keys/fobs. I looked. You can program up to 7 keys/fobs into the F430/612/599 alarm systems, so you can add four more if you like.