599 - I am sick of getting flat batteries!! | FerrariChat

599 - I am sick of getting flat batteries!!

Discussion in '612/599' started by Condor Man, Sep 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I leave it on charge all night and then 3 short trips to work and Tonight i get stranded again!!

How do I fix this issue. Please note that the battery is 10 months old.

Regards

Aaron

2. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I am going to assume that the charging system is working properly and the batter is charging, or you would be getting a charge light and code if it wasn't.

1. Check and clean the grounds, if you aren't grounding properly it could effect charging.

2. Get a new battery. The one you have is shot, it's not holding a charge.

3. Drive the car more often.

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I have read the stock tender is a drop too weak for the car. I would look into a replacement.

4. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I've heard people and techs say that because of all of the electronics, computers, etc..
    A friend of mine has had battery problems with his Ferrari's; 430, 599, and Cali after only 8-9 days of not driving. I'm sorry, that's not exceptable. A neighbor of mine has a 2006 911 Turbo that sits for a week and a half sometimes with no battery tender and starts right up, why?

5. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The fact that we get excited over not having to charge a cars battery in a week and a half is pathetic. I keep all of my cars on tenders, except for my 2013 Camaro that sits in a parking garage in a different state. There's no access to power in the underground garage so it just sits completely unattended. last week I had a chance to drive the car after it had been sitting for just over FOUR MONTHS. I put the key in and without any hesitation it starts right up...couldn't believe it! If GM can get this right, why can't Ferrari??

6. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This may be it as always the next day the tender shows green which would indicate that it is fully charged. Then it runs out by the end of the day....

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    If its showing green then the battery is keeping the voltage limit in the tender. Is it possible the tender's set voltage limit is too low? Or maybe the tender is just bad in some way. How new is the battery? If its 5+ years and has been discharged a few times its probably a good idea to get a new battery. You would hate to be let down by a dead battery when you are out.

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My SWAG is you have a voltage drain somewhere. Something that shouldn't be drawing juice while the car is sitting is in fact sapping the battery.

9. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    FWIW, I do not use a tender on my 2010 599 and recently returned from a 3 week trip. The car started up without hesitation as normal.

10. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Did you ever completely lose the charge in the battery? If so the battery may be bad...if it has been dead a few times given your description, I'd buy a new battery and use the tender to get up to a full green light charge (assuming that means the battery is fully charged on your tender, as the green light means that on my battery tender plus). After that, you should be good, unless there is a draw somewhere else or something wrong with your car's alternator. Start with the simple first- even if it's something else, your battery has probably been damaged if it's been very low several times now so you may as well replace it to "start with a clean slate". If there's an issue again where the charge is lost, charge the new battery fully before taking the car in to be checked out so you don't damage the new battery.

11. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Actually, the ability of the battery to start your car in jack rabbit fashion is NOT a reliable indicator of its capacity or condition. Your battery can start your car very nicely and then promptly strand you at the first place you park your car at. Been there, done that with my BMWs.

To really know what state your battery is in you need to test it for voltage and load capacity. If you haven't done this before it's best to have a garage do it for you. The battery tender that comes with your car is NOT capable of fully recharging a discharged battery. Garages have very fast chargers that can do it safely in 30-40 minutes.

12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yup, I second that. One winter my 300ZX started right up and the temp was -3F. I drove about 3 miles and the electronics went suddenly haywire and then the engine died. It was a dead battery. How it could have started the car that easily in that severe cold and then die is beyond me.

I've told this story many times and I've always finished it saying if it didn't happen to me I wouldn't have believed it.

13. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    So I took the car to the dealer today and they advised me that the OEM tender isn't great.

They sold me a far more sophisticated tender that is not hook up to the battery, so hopefully this works better.

I still think that potentially the car may be drawing quite a current when locked..... Perhaps there is light on in the trunk etc...

BY the way the car has had a new battery 10 months ago.

Regards

Aaron

14. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I have a 2010 599 HGTE. Still the factory battery, rarely (if ever) on a tender and the car has sat for weeks at a time in between starts and I've never had a problem, it starts every time. I agree with Paul, you have something else going on.

15. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    I think the later cars are better in this regard. What model year is the car?

16. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    So where does it hook up? It's pretty annoying to hook it up in the trunk and if there's an alternative I'd be curious!

17. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles

18. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The new tender is hard wired to the battery and the cable attachment point feeds out of the access point.

19. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I will take it to an auto electrician today to try and establish how much the car is drawing standing still.

20. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Keep us posted, I am curious about this one.

21. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Ok. Now I am sorted.

The car was not drawing too much, it was just a dead battery.

It had power but under load it just didn't have the grunt to crank the engine.

Hopefully this was last a bit longer than the other one.

22. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    OK.

So far, so good.

The new battery is working like a treat!

23. zalsabti

zalsabti Rookie

Oct 6, 2015
    I had an issue with a drained battery once till now.
    It was diagnosed later by a local Ferrari shop to be caused by the buttons on the driver side floor for the trunk and the fuel lid. One of them was leaking electricity. Was easy to repair.
    However and while I was trying to find the reason I stumbled on an interesting article about the issue being caused by the radio. Here is the link. Quite interesting...
    https://aldousvoice.com/2015/02/15/ferrari-becker-radio-current-leak/

24. adci

adci Karting

Oct 3, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    AD
    Try disconnecting the battery then reconnecting and charging. Every time I have mine connected to a state inspection machine I have to do this or the battery goes flat.

25. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    #25 Makuono, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    Do you use the battery tender?

My car is always on the battery tender. I learned the hard way that these Ferrari CTek battery tenders have continuous voltage drainage if connected to the car but not to the wall power outlet. I lost one battery (bosch S5) like that already.