Tire pressure and seat heating warning comes on | FerrariChat

Tire pressure and seat heating warning comes on

Discussion in '612/599' started by BAEM, Sep 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BAEM

BAEM Rookie

Jun 15, 2013
    Belgium
    Hi,

I just recently aquired my frist Ferrari. 612 9/07 model.

Not a dd and it is therefore always hooked up to charger when in the garage. Starts perfectly, but after a while get seat heating and tire pressure warning. A hard reset, with main switch in the boot, solves the issue.
    Have any of you experienced the same? Would it be better to have main switch off while charging?

Thanks for your advice.

2. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Interesting.... So I assume that the seat heating is always off??

Regarding the tire pressure sensors... They are a nightmare and will always go off for 2 reasons;

1) The battery is flat in the sensor. So you have to replace them. The life is usually 5 years of the battery. The cheapest place to buy the sensors are Amazon. I bought a new set form there.

2) You replace the sensor and the car does not respond, so therefore you have to have the numbers entered into the computer through the dealer....

I have recently changed my sensors and now I have to get the dealer to reload the numbers... Which is an absolute pain the rectum!

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Are you sure the heated seats are turned off? Because if they are turned on, that would be normal behavior. As far as I know, the heated seat annunciation isn't a warning, it's just telling you that the heat is on.

The warning system seems to prioritize things, and the seat heaters are pretty low on the priority scale, so I've noticed that I don't always get the annunciation if other stuff is going on.

4. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't have first hand experience with the 612, but in general a low battery will cause all sorts of problems with sensors and warning lights. Low battery doesn't always mean a car that won't start, but rather a car whose electrical system drops below 10V or so while cranking the starter. Being a 6 year old car, it's also possible that the battery itself is just tired (if it's the original battery). I would bet that a new battery, and a night on a battery tender would set things right for at least a month. (and then, if it hasn't been driven much, it would want another night on the tender at that point).

5. BAEM

BAEM Rookie

Jun 15, 2013
    Belgium
    Thanks guys!

Yes, I am sure the seat heating is turned off. Also the battery tender is showing green light. Do you think it might help if I turned off the main switch while on the tender?

6. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You don't want to have the main switch off (I presume you are talking about the switch by the battery, in the trunk).

If it's the original battery, it could well be part of the problem. I just replaced the original FIAMM battery on my 2008 car after it failed quite suddenly-- car was on the tender, worked fine a few days before, and that day simply didn't have enough cranking power to turn the engine over.

7. m81b

m81b Karting

Oct 20, 2007
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have a 2005 with the LH Seat Heater notice turning on and off regularly. Playing with the switch and jiggling the wire harness under the seat have had not effect. I'm not sure of the age of my battery, but I keep it on a battery tender if it is going to be parked more than a couple days. This is the only warning message I have (at the moment). Not a big enough issue for me to take action on, but curious to know if you resolve yours.

8. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Ok guys, get ready to laugh at me but how do you turn the seat warmers off? I am not a smart as I look

9. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    On the OTO, there is a little dial down by the seat controls, on the door side of the seat bottom. It has numbers on it, from 0 to 3 (I think). 0 is off.

10. migg48

migg48 Karting

Jul 7, 2006
    Tire rack is also a good source for tire sensors. About $100 each, as I recall.

11. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    BAEM,
    I have a 2007 612 and the RH heater icon was being displayed even though the heater was turned off. I noticed the wiring harness under the seat came loose and was getting stretched or crushed when the seat would slide forward to allow a passenger in the rear seat. I put the wiring harness back in place and the RH heater icon is gone now.

As for the TPMS, your tires are inflated to the correct pressure, right? Have you pushed the TPMS calibration button on the roof next to the cabin lights? This will recalibrate the sensors if the batteries are still good.

12. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Forget the battery tender, they are junk.

Mine was showing green every morning and the battery would run out by every evening.

I have just put a new battery in and the car is a dream!

The best way to test is see if the battery lasts for more than 5 days whilst it is not plugged into the tender. This will give you a good idea if the battery is on the way out.

13. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Having similar issues with my 612 on occasion -- did we reach a consensus in regards to LH seat heater turning on spontaneously? Is this a bad battery issue?

14. macadoo

macadoo Karting

Jun 17, 2006
    Colorado
    I have the LH seat heater issue on my 612 also. I don't think it is actually turning on because it doesn't feel warm, but the notice pops up on the dash. Pretty sure it isn't a battery issue, as I've had the issue for a over a year and my battery is less than a year old and it still happens. I've learned to live with it.

15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've never had the seat heater come on when I didn't turn it on-- maybe a bad switch?

I do use my seat heaters fairly often, by the way.

16. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    LOL - The question is who doesn't have the LH seat heater issue? :)

I have an 07 612 and it also intermittently comes and goes - usually works perfectly when at the dealer.

I did replace my battery. I can tell you the modern Ferrari has so many electronics vying for energy that you definitely need to keep the charger going - especially if you put the security system on.

As for the tire pressure warning, try and recalibrate it. If that does not work, then you probably are due to replace the sensors. They just went on my 612 and had all 4 replaced. Unfortunately, the batteries are not replaceable - the whole sensor needs to be replaced and the Ferrari original part is close to $200 USD for each one.

17. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't.

18. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    yes, i think the 612 LH heated seat coming on by itself is a well known issue, even the 599 seats does that too. Atleast mine all do.

19. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    So ... Was anyone able to solve the seat heating issue? Mine comes on/off every few minutes (while making a clicking noise under the dashboard). Any advice would be much appreciated!

20. MKH612

MKH612 Rookie

Jul 7, 2016
    I have a 2005 612 and have the same problem with the seat heater. Sometimes it's the LH and sometimes it's the RH. Both switches are set to 0, but the seat heats up. It's intermittent and annoying. I tried to rotate the switch from 0 to max fast back and forth. It seems to work for a few days. I have not taken the seat switch out to examine, but my gut tells me that that could be the problem. I am not planning to use the seat heating any time soon. The car is HOT without it. :)

21. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    You will laugh on this one, I also get the seat heating turning on without soliciting it,
    The issue is that I do not have heated seats...
    It did not happen for a while now...
    I prefer not to think about it

22. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Hmmm. Good luck with that one. Once had a beach buggy that exhibits the same signs. Turned out the seat springs were shorting the battery underneath! 😂

23. Shiva_Austria

Shiva_Austria Karting

Oct 7, 2013
    Austria
    I have a 02/2007 with the LH seat heater notice turning on and off regularly (only on the left side!).
    Can anyone help us with this problem?