Converting 599 Steel Brakes to CCM | FerrariChat

Converting 599 Steel Brakes to CCM

Discussion in '612/599' started by Condor Man, Jan 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Hi Guys,

Can anyone please confirm if the CCM Calipers and rotors bolt straight on to the existing parts for my 2007 599 fitted with steel.

Are the offsets the same?

Do I require a fixing kit like the 430's require?

If so, where can I buy the fixing kit?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Many thanks

Aaron

2. YAMVS6

YAMVS6 Karting

Jan 26, 2011
    ohio
    Also brake servo and master are different for CCM

3. no8080

no8080 Karting

May 5, 2011
    Uk
    The 430 does not need a fitting kit, the calipers fit to the existing mounting points.

The only difference between 430 steel and CCM brakes is the CCM calipers have longer bolts for the CCM calipers and handbrake calipers.

The part diagram for the 599 GTB show the CCM and steel are interchangable, the CCM rotors and calipers will bolt striaght on, likely needing the longer caliper bolts. Which are available from Ferrari as separate parts.

You dont have to fit a the CCM master cyclinder, the CCM version is lighter than the steel one, but worth fitting it if you are going to the trouble of swaping the steel for CCMs though.

The cost is not cheap, sourcing the parts second hand is an option, but weigh the rotors and check their weight against the one marked on the rotor, as it is not possible to tell the rotor wear from visible inspection.

Neil

4. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
  5. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    I am pretty sure that when I was initially looking into this for you I found that the knuckle is different on the steel equipped cars and will need to be replaced with the steering knuckle off of a CCM original car, no easy party to get.

It's been a while though since I looked into it for you. If you want I can give a call to the gentleman at Mov'it who was helping me through the swap originally.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ferrari makes a CCM retrofit kit for the 599. With some bargaining, probably avaliable at less than list because it is a big item. The dealer should be able to tell you what it includes.

599 CCM Retrofit Kit Cal. Nero: part nr. 70001266
    599 CCM Retrofit Kit Cal. Rosso: part nr. 70001267
    599 CCM Retrofit Kit Cal. Grigio: part nr. 70001268
    599 CCM Retrofit Kit Cal. Giallo Modena: part nr. 70001269
    599 CCM Retrofit Kit Cal. Rosso Scuderia: part nr. 70001270

Just over $20K in the UK, plus installation, the only place I could get a quote on the net.

To be honest, unless you really love your early 599, it would be cheaper to trade for one that has CCM.

7. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Guys,

I think I am sorted.

I will keep you posted with the progress.

8. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    #8 Condor Man, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    beautiful and if course effective! Enjoy driving ( and braking:)). Thank you for posting. Regards- e

10. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    How much did they cost?

Thanks

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #11 tazandjan, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    New manufacturerer to me. Let us know how they work out for you. If you can, a comparison of weights compared to OEM would be nice, but looks like it may be too late. Do those use the OEM calipers? Looks like it from their site.

http://o-brake.com/en_obrake_qualitaetsstandard.php

12. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Guys,

I will try and find out the weight differential.

They are bolt on to OEM Carbon brake callipers.

The only problem was that I had steel, so I had to buy the callipers for a carbon system.

The brakes were about $12,000 not including the callipers.

Pedal feel is awesome and not grabby like carbon brakes either.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    CM- My Mov'It CERs are definitely not grabby, but those steel brakes look great. Should be tougher than regular cast iron. Any pad bedding required?

14. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thanks Taz,

They were very impressive to hold and felt, typical high quality Germany engineering.

Basically I was told not to push it hard for 300kms.

I will take some pictures on the car and I will post them too.

15. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    #15 Condor Man, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    At last my 599 actually stops like it should!

I had the brakes fitted at an independent company and when I bought the car back to my Ferrari dealer for the clutch to be replaced, even the mechanic praised my decision....he said that it was the right move especially considering I never take the car to the track and he preferred the feel over ccm brakes.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    CM- Those look great and should give you additional braking power, never a bad thing with a 599. Assume the rears are 360 mm?

17. jus

jus Rookie

Mar 4, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    #17 jus, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    Would love to find out if you are still happy with these as replacements for OEM CCMs on your 599?

I've been told mine are done, and the cost to replace them completely here is hideous (around $30k equivalent in local currency).

18. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I don't understand - why would you get carbon brakes ($$$) if your not going to track the car?

The steel brakes should be just fine for the open road. I have the 1 gen 612 (steel brakes) and am just in awe of their stopping power. Is it reliability, poor lifetime on pad replacement?

If I did want to track my 612 or had access to areas I could drive very aggressively all the time, I would definitely look into going with CCM for sure.

19. racingbrake

racingbrake Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2014
    Fullerton, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren
    I presume both 599 and 458 have the same spindle with 225mm mounting spread although the rotor and caliper can be different.

We have both CCM and iron rotor replacement for F458

Front:
    CCM - 395x36
    Iron - 400x34 (w/2.5mm spacer)

Rear: (upsize from OE's 360mm)

CCM - 390x32
    Iron - 390x30

Our brake kits are designed to fit F458 OE calipers, if 599 uses different calipers we can also supply the complete kit with RB calipers.

We have Iron Rotor conversion kit made for Aston Martin which is believed to be the same as for F458 front and rear.

Sales price for 4 rotors is under $4,000 including RB ET500 performance street pads, ready to ship from our CA warehouse. We just ship ne complete kit yesterday to an A-M tuning shop in Florida.

RB Iron Two-piece Rotor Package Replacing OE CCM Rotors - Aston Martin DBS