FerrariChat.com

FerrariChat.com (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/)
-   612/599 (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/612-599/)
-   -   599 owners with factory wheels (any size): What tires are you running? (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/612-599/435280-599-owners-factory-wheels-any-size-what-tires-you-running.html)

Caeruleus11 02-16-2014 08:02 PM

Really? My roads are terrible and the MPSS offer a better ride. Of course, to each their own.

tazandjan 02-16-2014 11:57 PM

Mario- Have you actually tried a set of PSS tires? If so, what car?

vaderinc 02-17-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazandjan (Post 142927403)
Mario- Have you actually tried a set of PSS tires? If so, what car?

As mentioned before: I did. On my wife's 911 4S. I changed the tires last year and the guy at Michelin suggested the upgrade. I didn't think much of it at the time and went with it but the more I drove it later the more I felt that it was different from how the car felt before.

tazandjan 02-17-2014 04:31 PM

Mario- That makes you about the only owner I have read about who has not loved PSS tires. I cannot wait to get rid of my P Zeros and install PSS tires.

360Grigiotitanio 02-17-2014 06:46 PM

Tire Rack Test Result

Tire Rack tested these head-to-head, with the PSS coming in first and the PZero 4th out of 4.

The quote about the Pzero: Conclusion: An older but still capable tire that can't quite match the capability of newer tires.

The quote on the PSS: Conclusion: This is the new super star in the Max Performance Summer category.

I have the PSS on my car. Their great, but hey, YMMV.

vaderinc 02-18-2014 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazandjan (Post 142928852)
Mario- That makes you about the only owner I have read about who has not loved PSS tires. I cannot wait to get rid of my P Zeros and install PSS tires.

Haha. Sorry to disappoint. By the way I am not saying that the PSS are rubbish. I just said that for the type of roads that I drive on I liked the Pzeros better.

OCMIA 03-05-2014 06:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I just replaced the petrified Pirelli PZeros that were on my car when I bought it last week. The tires were so hard that you could feel every crack and imperfection in the road. It rode like a dump truck and didn't get traction at all in second gear. I put on some Michelin Pilot Super Sports and the ride improved tremendously and the grip is much better. The 315's in the rear fill the wheel well nicely and fit the rim perfect. I have these on my GTR and in my opinion are a great all-around tire. You can track them and also drive long distance in comfort all while getting some good life out of them.

I did the OEM size in the front: 245/35/20 and went slightly wider in the rear: 315/35/20

348SStb 03-05-2014 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCMIA (Post 142964557)
I just replaced the petrified Pirelli PZeros that were on my car when I bought it last week. The tires were so hard that you could feel every crack and imperfection in the road. It rode like a dump truck and didn't get traction at all in second gear. I put on some Michelin Pilot Super Sports and the ride improved tremendously and the grip is much better. The 315's in the rear fill the wheel well nicely and fit the rim perfect. I have these on my GTR and in my opinion are a great all-around tire. You can track them and also drive long distance in comfort all while getting some good life out of them.

I did the OEM size in the front: 245/35/20 and went slightly wider in the rear: 315/35/20

Great reply!

I like the way you put it when you referred to you PZeros being "petrified." My car is driving like a garbage truck also... Looking forward to a dramatic improvement once the Michelin SS tires are installed hopefully soon if the weather ever changes around here...

vaderinc 03-05-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 348SStb (Post 142964562)
Great reply!

I like the way you put it when you referred to you PZeros being "petrified." My car is driving like a garbage truck also... Looking forward to a dramatic improvement once the Michelin SS tires are installed hopefully soon if the weather ever changes around here...

Chris said they felt petrified as they were "original tires" on the car, i.e since 2007 when the car was made, that means the tires were 7 years old ... At that age 100% they felt petrified. A new set of tires will always feel better than a set that's 7 years old ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCMIA (Post 142960057)
The only thing it needs are tires, which are going on this week. I decided to go with the Michelin PSS since that is what is on the GTR. They have a great ride. The Pirelli PZeros on there are original and hard as rocks. I can't wait to get those off.

OCMIA 03-06-2014 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaderinc (Post 142965139)
Chris said they felt petrified as they were "original tires" on the car, i.e since 2007 when the car was made, that means the tires were 7 years old ... At that age 100% they felt petrified. A new set of tires will always feel better than a set that's 7 years old ...

Very true! No doubt a new set of Pirellis would have been a major improvement as well. I just chose the MPSS because I have them on another car and really like them for their overall performance and longevity.

Caeruleus11 03-06-2014 07:01 PM

There is no way a new set of Pirellis would even get close to those MPSS. As you've discovered its not just the grip, which is so much more than anything in the last generation- these tires really let you harness the 599's massive power. Its also the damping characteristics of the tires almost seem like they were designed with the 599 in mind. The ride is much much improved.

Veloce12 03-08-2014 05:01 PM

599 Tires MPSS vs PZ

What did you guys experience as to cost of MPSS?

599ing 08-10-2015 02:17 PM

I hate my pirellis and yes they are 7 years old and YES i hated them less on day 1. Whoever said "petrified" and "dump truck" was spot on. AND, they were BAD when new and just got worse.

Since I bought the car, I could never launch it anywhere near full throttle without the traction control stopping me or losing grip by either wheel spin or wheel hop. In fact, on my first attempt I remember thinking that the traction control isn't very severe and quite smart i even said "how nice". NO. How on earth is that nice when its limiting your power to the ground? Wheres the grip? Whats the point of 620hp if my launch is equivalent to an M3 due to either traction control restriction or the need to feather the throttle so much to get reasonable grip. I tried doing long drives first (to get the perfect warm temp before launching), tried to experiment with tire pressure, different weather,different pavement and no. It never let me enjoy the launch even once on full power (or even 80% of it).

To be frank, I'd say when launching i would have to start feathering the throttle between 20-40% in the first 0-40kph. Before shifting to 2nd gear, I very rarely ever went full throttle without losing *some* traction. Its been done but rarely. But my concern is at the initial launch. 20-40% throttle is a joke. I admit this car on pirellis really taught me pro level 'foot dance skills' on the throttle and I got good at it enough that passengers never believed me when i said I was not on full throttle the entire time lol.

Note: When I say launching I mean gently feathering the throttle and go wide open throttle once I guesstimate that traction is sufficient. Not using launch control. Never even tried it. Frankly speaking, even if launch control was not tough on the car, why use it if ull have even less grip? Its a launch button not a burnout button.

I am unlike those who posted here wanting no changes to factory settings even there is room for improvement. Ill take improvement any day. The general public tries and provides their input and I respect that. Thank you.

Now here is my interest:

I am looking at
Nittos NT05 for the fronts 255/35R20
Nittos NT05R for the rear 315/35R20 LL
I heard good stuff about Michelins. But I think Im looking for seriously better traction.

I could care less about how many miles the tires would last or the superb wet traction.
I never drive in the rain. And my previous set has only 10,000 km (under 8k miles).

Anyone tried these tires? Ive heard people putting 600+hp on the ground with these tires and could not be happier.

Advice is well appreciated.

Gaelic 08-10-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 599ing (Post 144117191)
I hate my pirellis and yes they are 7 years old and YES i hated them less on day 1. Whoever said "petrified" and "dump truck" was spot on. AND, they were BAD when new and just got worse.

Since I bought the car, I could never launch it anywhere near full throttle without the traction control stopping me or losing grip by either wheel spin or wheel hop. In fact, on my first attempt I remember thinking that the traction control isn't very severe and quite smart i even said "how nice". NO. How on earth is that nice when its limiting your power to the ground? Wheres the grip? Whats the point of 620hp if my launch is equivalent to an M3 due to either traction control restriction or the need to feather the throttle so much to get reasonable grip. I tried doing long drives first (to get the perfect warm temp before launching), tried to experiment with tire pressure, different weather,different pavement and no. It never let me enjoy the launch even once on full power (or even 80% of it).

To be frank, I'd say when launching i would have to start feathering the throttle between 20-40% in the first 0-40kph. Before shifting to 2nd gear, I very rarely ever went full throttle without losing *some* traction. Its been done but rarely. But my concern is at the initial launch. 20-40% throttle is a joke. I admit this car on pirellis really taught me pro level 'foot dance skills' on the throttle and I got good at it enough that passengers never believed me when i said I was not on full throttle the entire time lol.

Note: When I say launching I mean gently feathering the throttle and go wide open throttle once I guesstimate that traction is sufficient. Not using launch control. Never even tried it. Frankly speaking, even if launch control was not tough on the car, why use it if ull have even less grip? Its a launch button not a burnout button.

I am unlike those who posted here wanting no changes to factory settings even there is room for improvement. Ill take improvement any day. The general public tries and provides their input and I respect that. Thank you.

Now here is my interest:

I am looking at
Nittos NT05 for the fronts 255/35R20
Nittos NT05R for the rear 315/35R20 LL
I heard good stuff about Michelins. But I think Im looking for seriously better traction.

I could care less about how many miles the tires would last or the superb wet traction.
I never drive in the rain. And my previous set has only 10,000 km (under 8k miles).

Anyone tried these tires? Ive heard people putting 600+hp on the ground with these tires and could not be happier.

Advice is well appreciated.

Can't say I've any experience with the Nittos but I can definitely vouch for the Michelin PSS as a serious upgrade form PZeros. You will be much happier.

599ing 08-11-2015 09:45 AM

Thanks I will look into them.

When I informed the ferrari service manager, he advised against
255/35R20 (vs 245/35R20)
315/35R20 (vs 305/35R20)

He said the larger tires will affect steering and differential components in the long run.
However, he mentioned he will chat with other ferrari service managers abroad and come back with a final say.

When I mentioned the GTO has those sizes. He mentioned the GTO is a totally different car and even has a different differential.

DK308 08-11-2015 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 348SStb (Post 142867575)
I hear you. I don't drive the car very fast or aggressively... I'm actually afraid of the car, and I drive it accordingly.

Well, let's ask this question. If we go to 315s rear and 255s front, we have increased the overall tire-wheel diameter by exactly 8 millimeters...

Will 255 tires fit in the front? They are 10 mm wider and 8 mm taller. Will they make contact with the fender or other part of the wheel well?

First off. No, they will not. You need a rim width of 8,5" to fit 255/40R19 tyres.

As for size, it's not that simple. The number put on the side of a tyre, does not tell the whole story, it just puts a tyre in a class of sizes.

Your OE Pirellis on 8" wide rims have a section width of 24,4 cm, not 24,5 cm. The tread is 21,6 cm wide.
The Michelin in the same size on 8" wide rims also have a section width of 24,4 cm, but a tread width of 22,8 cm.
A 255 section MPSS will have a width of 25,4 cm when mounted on an 8,5" wide rim, but a tread that is 24,1 cm wide.

The difference between the Pirelli or MPSS 245/40R19 and MPSS 255/40R20 diameter is 10,2 cm, not 8 mm. The difference between the Pirelli 305/35R20 and the MPSS 315/35R20 is 7,6 cm.

In other words, forget calculators, look up specs, especially when it comes to tread width and depth. As an example, the 255 section MPSS tyre for the F12, has a tread that is substantially wider than the tread of the MPSS 285/30R20 for the GTO.

An interesting and good way to look at how different tyres balance the car, is to look at how wide their treads are, i.e, the front to rear tread patch bias. The rear Pirelli PZero tyres you have, are 25% wider than the front. If you combine the 245/40R19 MPSS with the MPSS 315/35R20 K2 Ferrari (F12 Spec) rear, the bias will be 22,5% front to rear difference. Add to that an increased radius of the rears of about 1,1%, and your bias will be 23,6%. This means that the 245/40R19 has more than enough rubber to keep up with the 315/35R20 rears, and your car should not only experience more overall grip, but also get a more sporty front to rear balance, as you will decrease under steer and push a little. Win/win if you ask me, and absolutely no need for 255 section tyres.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 348SStb (Post 142867614)
I really think if I go up in overall diameter in the rear, I should do the same in the front... hence my question about the front wheel wells... Your thoughts? Should I just leave the front size alone?

Leave them alone, as you will need new rims to step up, and there's no need to do so.

DK308 08-11-2015 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veloce12 (Post 142971204)
What did you guys experience as to cost of MPSS?

245/40ZR19/XL (98Y) MSRP $289.00 (Tire Rack $230.00)
315/35ZR20/XL (110Y) K2 MSRP $565.00 (Tire Rack $405.40)

DK308 08-11-2015 03:38 PM

A slight error in my post above. The MPSS 255 is of course not 10.2 cm and the 315 not 7,6 cm larger in diameter. It is of course mm. Sorry about that brainfart.