FerrariChat.com

FerrariChat.com (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/)
-   612/599 (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/612-599/)
-   -   599 owners with factory wheels (any size): What tires are you running? (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/612-599/435280-599-owners-factory-wheels-any-size-what-tires-you-running.html)

Caeruleus11 02-16-2014 08:02 PM

Really? My roads are terrible and the MPSS offer a better ride. Of course, to each their own.

tazandjan 02-16-2014 11:57 PM

Mario- Have you actually tried a set of PSS tires? If so, what car?

vaderinc 02-17-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazandjan (Post 142927403)
Mario- Have you actually tried a set of PSS tires? If so, what car?

As mentioned before: I did. On my wife's 911 4S. I changed the tires last year and the guy at Michelin suggested the upgrade. I didn't think much of it at the time and went with it but the more I drove it later the more I felt that it was different from how the car felt before.

tazandjan 02-17-2014 04:31 PM

Mario- That makes you about the only owner I have read about who has not loved PSS tires. I cannot wait to get rid of my P Zeros and install PSS tires.

360Grigiotitanio 02-17-2014 06:46 PM

Tire Rack Test Result

Tire Rack tested these head-to-head, with the PSS coming in first and the PZero 4th out of 4.

The quote about the Pzero: Conclusion: An older but still capable tire that can't quite match the capability of newer tires.

The quote on the PSS: Conclusion: This is the new super star in the Max Performance Summer category.

I have the PSS on my car. Their great, but hey, YMMV.

vaderinc 02-18-2014 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazandjan (Post 142928852)
Mario- That makes you about the only owner I have read about who has not loved PSS tires. I cannot wait to get rid of my P Zeros and install PSS tires.

Haha. Sorry to disappoint. By the way I am not saying that the PSS are rubbish. I just said that for the type of roads that I drive on I liked the Pzeros better.

OCMIA 03-05-2014 06:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I just replaced the petrified Pirelli PZeros that were on my car when I bought it last week. The tires were so hard that you could feel every crack and imperfection in the road. It rode like a dump truck and didn't get traction at all in second gear. I put on some Michelin Pilot Super Sports and the ride improved tremendously and the grip is much better. The 315's in the rear fill the wheel well nicely and fit the rim perfect. I have these on my GTR and in my opinion are a great all-around tire. You can track them and also drive long distance in comfort all while getting some good life out of them.

I did the OEM size in the front: 245/35/20 and went slightly wider in the rear: 315/35/20

348SStb 03-05-2014 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCMIA (Post 142964557)
I just replaced the petrified Pirelli PZeros that were on my car when I bought it last week. The tires were so hard that you could feel every crack and imperfection in the road. It rode like a dump truck and didn't get traction at all in second gear. I put on some Michelin Pilot Super Sports and the ride improved tremendously and the grip is much better. The 315's in the rear fill the wheel well nicely and fit the rim perfect. I have these on my GTR and in my opinion are a great all-around tire. You can track them and also drive long distance in comfort all while getting some good life out of them.

I did the OEM size in the front: 245/35/20 and went slightly wider in the rear: 315/35/20

Great reply!

I like the way you put it when you referred to you PZeros being "petrified." My car is driving like a garbage truck also... Looking forward to a dramatic improvement once the Michelin SS tires are installed hopefully soon if the weather ever changes around here...

vaderinc 03-05-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 348SStb (Post 142964562)
Great reply!

I like the way you put it when you referred to you PZeros being "petrified." My car is driving like a garbage truck also... Looking forward to a dramatic improvement once the Michelin SS tires are installed hopefully soon if the weather ever changes around here...

Chris said they felt petrified as they were "original tires" on the car, i.e since 2007 when the car was made, that means the tires were 7 years old ... At that age 100% they felt petrified. A new set of tires will always feel better than a set that's 7 years old ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCMIA (Post 142960057)
The only thing it needs are tires, which are going on this week. I decided to go with the Michelin PSS since that is what is on the GTR. They have a great ride. The Pirelli PZeros on there are original and hard as rocks. I can't wait to get those off.

OCMIA 03-06-2014 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaderinc (Post 142965139)
Chris said they felt petrified as they were "original tires" on the car, i.e since 2007 when the car was made, that means the tires were 7 years old ... At that age 100% they felt petrified. A new set of tires will always feel better than a set that's 7 years old ...

Very true! No doubt a new set of Pirellis would have been a major improvement as well. I just chose the MPSS because I have them on another car and really like them for their overall performance and longevity.

Caeruleus11 03-06-2014 07:01 PM

There is no way a new set of Pirellis would even get close to those MPSS. As you've discovered its not just the grip, which is so much more than anything in the last generation- these tires really let you harness the 599's massive power. Its also the damping characteristics of the tires almost seem like they were designed with the 599 in mind. The ride is much much improved.

bsadek 03-08-2014 05:01 PM

599 Tires MPSS vs PZ

What did you guys experience as to cost of MPSS?