612- searching for the right one | FerrariChat

612- searching for the right one

Discussion in '612/599' started by Makuono, Feb 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Hi! Newbie here.

I'm in the market for one 612.

Found one 08 in red. Appears to be mint but I'm searching for more info.

Is is possible to learn the history of the car using the vIN?

Thank you.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

2. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Sure - order a CarFax (or equivalent) on the vehicle for the basics.
    Also, make sure you ask for any service receipts and relevant history.

Regardless, always get a PPI, once you've narrowed it down to the "one". And, be prepared to walk away. I did a PPI on a black 612 that found $20K + in issues. I walked away and found another that was a little more expensive - but, sterling service history & PPI.

Good luck.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #3 tazandjan, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On 612s, there is some service history in an 8 Mb chip in the instrument panel. All you can tell from the VIN is explained in the attachment below, and it does not tell you anything about options or history. If you find a 612 at a dealer, he can use the MODIS factory computer system to print out a build sheet that shows all the colors and options fitted to her. He likely will also have a service history available.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Hi! Thank you for the file.

So, according to the document, the car was made in Italy, 2008, 612 scaglietti, engine 133h(?)

Using the vin Is there a way to know it is has any of the performance packs?

Thank you in advance.

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #5 tazandjan, Feb 15, 2014
    Good news is you got the late engine, Type F133H, that was fitted to the Sessanta, OTO, and late pre-OTO 612s. You can tell if you got the HGT2 package by looking at the tailpipes. The HGT2 package fitted to the late 612s had similar, or the same, exhaust as the HGTS/HGTC package on earlier 612s. The tailpipes will look like the image below. Also, the dealer can pull a build sheet from MODIS for you and that will show all the options fitted.

6. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Well stated. The double-walled exhaust is good indicator of an HGTS / HGTC / later OTO / Sessanta cars. I also believe the HGTS had black mesh surrounding the tail pipes, whilst HGTC and later models had chrome mesh. HGTS and HGTC were the same, except for HGTC having the expensive carbon brakes.

Keep in mind many base models from the 1st generation 612s have been upgraded to similar - but better performing - aftermarket exhausts, such as Tubi, etc.

7. BAEM

BAEM Rookie

Jun 15, 2013
    Belgium
    Taz, what is the difference between the 133H and 133F engine? Thanks!

8. BAEM

BAEM Rookie

Jun 15, 2013
    Belgium
    Hi,

New this community. Have been Reading about different engine types for 612 scaglietti. Does anyone know what changes were made to the engine from 133f to 133h?
    Thank you!

9. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Good evening,

Can someone tell me Which accessories/tools/literature comes with a Ferrari 612 once it is purchased by the first owner?

Thank you.

Ricardo

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #10 tazandjan, Feb 22, 2014
    I have been unable to tell the differences in the engines so far except the possibility the F133H engine was upgraded from Motronic 7.1.1 to Motronic 7.3.2. I have also seen some references to 550 hp instead of 540, but Ferrari does not claim that in the owners manual, so who knows. I wondered if it had been hotrodded like the Superamerica's F133G engine, with shaved block for higher compression, and different valve seat angle and shorter valves, but cannot find anything. A mystery to me. What we do know is the the HGT2 package replaced the HGTS and HGTC packages because the earlier packages were not compatible with the later updated Motronic DMEs.

Makuno- Here is the tools/accessories that came with a 612. Sessantas and OTOs also had standard CCM brakes and somewhere in there a CTEK battery charger became standard. They were supplied with 2 keys/fobs. These images come from Ricambi's online parts catalogs.

11. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    #11 Makuono, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    So...I found one 612 that looks the real deal.

2008, less than 15000kms, full history, looks well (except some marks on the paint -no any type of accident), interior is mint (except some sticky surfaces). I will take it to the official dealer in order to have it inspected.

The gearbox is the F1 transmission (engine 133H)- with the lever and two buttons (F1-s and reverse). Can someone tell me if this gearbox is the one on the 599? I thought that instead of the F1-s button it would have one Auto?? Or this is on the Maser?

Extended warranty -> this car has the extended warranty. It will be due after 3 months. It is possible to extend it again? In which cost? Is it worth it? I have one Alfa 159 in which I did the warranty extension. Until today I never used it...

Thank you.

Ricardo

12. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Thank you "tazandjan".

The 612 that im looking has all those items - air compressor, narrow spare tire, battery tender, cover, literature, tool box, etc..

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #13 tazandjan, Feb 23, 2014
  14. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    good luck with the purchase-what are the colours/specs of the car you are looking at?

15. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I didn't notice this before. The 599 F1 is a dual plate clutch where the 612 is a single plate. I tried to start a thread recently asking if anyone could compare and contrast between the two, an OTO F1 and a 599 F1 but didn't get any responses.

Your 2008 though is much improved over my '05.

16. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Note that these are prices for North America, and you (OP) appears to be in Portugal. Ask your dealer for warranty pricing in your area when you visit. BTW, wish we got the Alfa 159 sedans and wagons in North America! Sounds like the 159 has been a good vehicle for you.
    Jes

17. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I agree this would be an interesting discussion.

For example, Pagani chose a single-plate clutch for their new Huayra hyper-car; apparently they feel the extra weight required for the dual-clutch was not worth it or negatively effected the balance of the car.

From Wiki:

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- The Sessanta was the prototype for the OTOs and came with the 599 dual plate clutch, 599 gearbox case (with 612 ratios), manettino and the F1 Superfast (100 ms min) F1 system. This was adapted for the OTOs, although normal 612s up through spring 2008 still had the single plate clutch and early gearbox case. All the late 612s starting somewhere around the Sessanta or a little earlier had Type F133H engine. The HGT2 package speeded up shifting on the F1 Superfast system to around 80-85 ms, same as a 599 HGTE but earlier, depending on which Ferrari source you use.

Wiki, as is often the case, has incomplete information. DCTs were really not ready for Ferrari use until well after 612 introduction (2003) and 599 introduction (2006). Weight on the V12 GTs has never been that much of a concern until the F12, and even that is heavy because MT got a curb weight of 4000 lbs.

19. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    So, how can I know if the Scag that I'm looking has the double clutch or not?

It says F1-s on the aluminum plate and has a 133h engine.

20. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You know I believed this was the case from everything I've read here right up until last weekend when I spoke to my dealer trying to answer my questions and he told me the 612 never had a dual plate clutch. Weird. I believe you over him, but I should be able to believe my dealer, especially given he's the most tenured at FoW and loved the 612. Maybe he's motivated by wanting to sell me a 599 at some point. I'd really like to not think that's the case, but that seems more likely than him not knowing. Very disturbing. I hate posting inaccurate info.

So the answer to my question is that a 612 F1 with HGT2 should feel identical to a 599 F1, correct?

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It seems universal across all makes that car salespeople have less knowledge of the cars they sell than the average car buyer.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #22 tazandjan, Feb 24, 2014
    Ricardo- If she has a Manettino and a glass roof, she is an OTO.

Bob- Go bet him a case of beer or a nice key fob. We probably read more Ferrari stuff than he does.

23. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Is it possible that the salesman was confusing the "dual plate clutch" which the 612 has with the "dual clutch" the F12 has?

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Don- Entirely possible he was saying it did not have a DCT instead of not having a dual plate dry clutch from the 599, to give him the benefit of the doubt.

25. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The
    I was very clear with my question. He very clearly answered the 612 has always ever had a single plate.

Guess I should leave room for the possibility I wasn't as clear as I think I was. Pretty egregious mistake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk