Help - 599 HGTE | FerrariChat

Help - 599 HGTE

Discussion in '612/599' started by Hawkeye, Mar 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    #1 Hawkeye, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    Went through a car wash 30 minutes ago. Pulled out of car wash and my TFT display lit up like a Christmas Tree.

CST Failure
    Manettino Failure
    Engine Control System Failure
    Airbag Failure

Car goes into gear but it's still in neutral. Gas pedal no longer works, it idles but press pedal and no RPM increase. I know the gearbox ECU has priority over every other system. Obviously (maybe) something got wet from the undercarriage or wheel well spray? I did a hard battery reset and no luck there.

Stuck in West Virginia but at the Greenbrier, NCAA tournament on TV and wings for .50 cents each.

Any ideas?

Thanks fellas

Chad

2. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Perhaps switch the car off, switch the battery of, leave it for 5 minutes and switch everything on again see if the fault persists?

3. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Wow. Sorry, Chad.

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    u mean like the automated car washes with the tracks, spinny brushes and everything?

5. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    Definitely switch off battery with red knob, let sit for 10 minutes then reconnect and restart per the procedure in owners manual. I'll bet you a chicken wing that does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chad- She probably just needs to dry off. Put her in the sun with the hood open and possibly blow off any visible moisture if you can get someone to show up with a compressor and blower fitting.

Run cycle.

Turn battery disconnect switch off and turn off all accessories (stereo, A/C, etc).
    Let engine get completely cold or at least 30 minutes.
    Insert key in ignition and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition to on and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition off and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition on, wait for Check OK, and start.
    Let idle with no input whatsoever for 10 minutes.
    Turn accessories back on and drive gently for 10-15 minutes at least.
    You will have to insert stereo code, if required on a 599.

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Terry, this worked! The car sat for 5 hours and I started it up and everything was normal. Man, that was crazy. No spinning brushes in car wash, it was a laser wash, nothing touched paint except the water. But there was lots of water. I'll keep an eye on it. Not sure how water got into the electronics. Thanks, Terry!

8. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Glad everything turned out ok.

I've been considering a laser wash, but will stick to hand wash for now.

9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Taz, have you or do you know anyone that has added additional moisture protection on Ferrari's electronics to avoid these issues? Aren't the 550/575 models even more susceptible to these moisture/electronic issues?

10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I would avoid the heavy water in the touch less car wash. Especially the undercarriage spray. Be careful

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Does your car have parking sensors? Give those a good check. Parking sensor failure can set off a myriad of issues.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    LaC- The 550s seemed to be much more affected than the 575s or 612s with more up to date electronics. The 550 has had enough connector problems that Dave Helms has a gold connector kit for the 550. Could be they are just older, too, and our time will come.

Of course, I live in the desert. Yesterday at 6 pm, the humidity was 10%, so I am probably not the best one to ask about that. So far this years we have had 0.40" of precip.

Chad- Glad that fixed her. Females usually look great wet, but most do not enjoy being sprayed without their permission.