Should I make the jump? (Looking at 599 GTB) | FerrariChat

Should I make the jump? (Looking at 599 GTB)

Discussion in '612/599' started by JoshSB, Apr 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoshSB

JoshSB Rookie

Apr 17, 2014
    New Zealand
    Hey guys and girls,

I have only just joined the forum but have loved Ferrari's for years. (What guy doesn't?!)

I currently have a V8 Audi R8 2008 which I love the look of and have enjoyed driving. Overall, I think its a hell of a car, but the RTronic gearbox lets it down quite badly IMO.

The other day I saw a 2007 599 GTB in black for sale and had a look at it.. I am going back to test drive in the next few days.

I wonder if any of you went from an R8 to a Ferrari and what your general consensus is on if changing from the R8 to the 599 GTB, and how they compare? Obviously I understand, being on a Ferrari forum, there may be some bias. ;-)

And any owners who have a 599 GTB that would care to share their thoughts after having one for a while, would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Josh

I'm on my third 599, think that say's it all really, stunning cars, fuel economy is not for the environmentalist or faint hearted :)

3. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Interesting. Before I purchased my 599, I considered looking at a R8. But, I had wanted a Ferrari V12 for 50 years, so went with the 599. It was definitely the right decision.

4. Sales@CNCMOTORS

Sales@CNCMOTORS Formula 3

Aug 10, 2011
    Upland, California
    Full Name:
    Ira
    Obviously more creature comforts in the R8 (Nav, back up camera etc....) The F1 gearbox of the 599 vs the R Tronic of the early R8 is night and day. The shifts on the 599 will feel very smooth and very quick vs the hesitation of the R8.

The 599 is an amazing car. You can drive it for hours and not worry about getting beat up to badly. Plus the power and sound is great! (I do not own either but I have a few hundred miles of seat time in both so I am talking from experience).

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You are also considering a mid engine car vs front engine. I don't know about the R8, but the 599 is not the kind of car you get that mid engine sports car handling excitement from. Its rewards come a bit slower to you: still amazing handling but amazing for such a big car, great on higher speed, highway sweepers... the 599 straddles the line between sports car and GT car. Its more on the sports car side of that middle ground, but compared to how most mid engine cars I've driven, its personality is a little bit GT. This can be good or bad depending on what you want. I've had a 599 for many years and still derive tremendous pleasure from driving it. The only thing I would say is check if the car you are looking at has the run flat tires. If it does, I'd swap them out. This requires a reprogram of the shock absorbers.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Huge difference in power between the Ferrari Enzo derived V12 and the Audi company V8. A 599 could probably tow a V8 R8 faster than it could accelerate on its own. Well, maybe a slight exaggeration.

7. Sales@CNCMOTORS

Sales@CNCMOTORS Formula 3

Aug 10, 2011
    Upland, California
    Full Name:
    Ira
    :)

Considerably more power with the 599 but still an extremely driveable car......

8. Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle Formula 3

Jul 9, 2013
    Carmel Highlands
    Full Name:
    Dan Kyle
    Drive the 599

They are different cars

The 599 can ride a little better than the R8 if both are in "rain/ soft" modes

But if the tires are 4, 5, 6 years old the ride quality will deteriorate

The 599 steering feedback is much better than the numb feeling R8.

The steering and throttle are much more sensitive than the R8, and will take some getting used to

The R8 drives more like a "sports car" the 599 drives more like a "GT car"

The 599 is a big car lots of trunk room, which of course is almost non existent in the R8

Both cars look great

The 599 is easier to get in and out of.

The F1 shifting is not as nice as the newer transmissions, but again takes a little getting used to and is OK in manual mode, I do not like the Auto mode.

I have not driven the R8 with the older paddle shifter, so I cannot compare it to the 599.

Dan

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dan- They have an Auto mode in the 599?

10. aln

aln Karting

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    yes the 599 has an auto mode, and it starts in that mode. i invariably turn it off but i suppose it is nice to have available. btw, the paddle shifters still work if you want to override the computer's selection.

i put over 4,000 miles on my 599 in the past six months and absolutely love it! it is best on mountain roads but is also incredibly comfortable for long drives on the freeway. the trunk room is plentiful for weekend trips and someone on this forum helpfully pointed out that you can even fit two good sized suitcases in if you take the false bottom out of trunk.

11. AndrewG2

AndrewG2 Karting

Feb 22, 2013
    Las Vegas NV
    I sense some sarcasm in Taz's post.

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Me? No, never happen. Almost 6 years on the 575M and I have never pushed that button, but mine does not start in Auto. She starts in neutral.

13. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I have found a new or should I say the only use for auto mode.

Whilst driving on the highway at 110kph. Keep her in auto and she cruises in 6th gear, then if you need to overtake simply put your foot to the floor and she instantly pegs back to 3rd and takes off like a scolded cat!

You guys should try this....... it's actually heaps of fun.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    CM- Try the same thing in manual and hit the downhift paddle three times in rapid succession.

15. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The 599 is a great car. GT car though. The Ferrari is more bespoke than an R8. I drove mine in manual mode only. If you RTFM it does have an auto mode. Not sure why?

16. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    The love for 12 cylinders, styling and ownership of a Ferrari is an experience which can't be matched by other makers. If it is not a Ferrari, it is not worth owning in my book.

17. aln

aln Karting

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    haig - some people are 'between ferrari's'. personally, i think you are 'between testarossa's'! :) :) :)

i agree that the 599 is a great GT. for me, after having a pair of six-liter v12 sedans, each for over 10 years (the s600 and the 760li), the 599 was the perfect 'first ferrari' to buy as a DD. in regards to the manettino, after playing with it a little i set it to sport and haven't moved it since. interested in hearing if others switch around much.

btw, looking forward i'm interested in the 328gts and the 360cs. but i've been told that starting with the 599 will have spoiled me.

18. 433rdmaw

433rdmaw Karting

Mar 23, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Jack Calhoun
    Aln

The 599 is not the car to own before driving a V-8 series car. had a 308, 348 then 550 and 599. Test drove a 430 gated six speed last week in order to have a manual convertible in the stable and was sorely disappointed. Will probably live with the Maserati Cabriolet as the DD ...

Mannettino is usually set to race with the traction control "off".

The 599 is comfortable and can be "scary fast" when called upon and is the wife's favorite also.

19. 433rdmaw

433rdmaw Karting

Mar 23, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Jack Calhoun
    Josh,

Buy the 599.

No contest here...

Jack

20. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Your car is perfect brother and you maybe right about the Testarossa...:) I had a Vegas run with group of exotics this week with my 996, ton of fun but there is no fun like being in a Ferrari.

21. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Just out of curiousity, what sort of mpg figures do you get? I average 12mpg in my 360 with varied driving. Not that its a deal breaker, but what could I expect in a 599 as a daily driver? Also would the figure be similar to a 612's mpg?

As for the op's question. Not that I have driven either but they are completely different cars. 599 is a enzo engined beast and an r8 is sucessful hairdressers audi TT!

22. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have no idea precisely what my 612 gets around the burbs, but it's bad. Highway is fine, but I'd be surprised if I get even 10mpg locally.

23. JoshSB

JoshSB Rookie

Apr 17, 2014
    New Zealand
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. This is a great forum.

I drove the 599 and an F430 today and I was blown away by both.

IMO both are in a different class to the R8 and the gearboxes absolutely show up the Audi's weak RTronic gearbox.

The 599 power blew me away.. Almost scary compared to anything else I've driven, I also loved how it looked inside and out... But....

I fell in LOVE with the F430 after driving it.. I was grinning like an idiot the entire time and the sound of the V8 was literally enough to make me laugh out loud quite a few times.

I didn't know exactly how to define what I wanted in a car until I had driven them both, but afterwards I realised that the sports car feel is something I want, and that sheer fun factor of the F430 swayed me in that direction.

Yet to pull the trigger and I like both cars, but right now I'm swaying towards the F430 because I felt like a kid in it.

Either way, one thing I know is.. I shall soon be part of the Ferrari family and won't be looking back!

Thanks again for your comments. :)

24. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Manettino always between Sport or Race, depending on my mood. Race allows a bit more play before interfering.

25. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    Drive a 599 with HGTE and you'll forget about the F430.