Awesome GTO upgrade kit for track use! | FerrariChat

Awesome GTO upgrade kit for track use!

Discussion in '612/599' started by ttn27, Apr 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    #1 ttn27, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just found out that there is an OEM carbon fiber kit for track use only. This kit looks very awesome even if you don't track the car very much. Wondering if anybody here has this kit fitted to their GTO and if you did, could you share some pics and comments on the kit. Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
  3. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    The kit definitely looks much more aggressive with the rear lid (otherwise, it looks kind of awkward with the side fins alone)

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Why would carbon fiber be for track use only?

5. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Good question. That is what I asked the parts manager at the dealership also. He is checking with FNA to see why and what is the price. I am pretty sure it won't be cheap :)

6. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    I think it states that it's officially for track use only because the winglets on either side of the car aren't road legal.

7. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    It needs canards on the front fenders. And perhaps some roof flaps.

8. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
  9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think it's not road legal because Ferrari never went through to the trouble of getting the kit tested for all the individual bodies (TUV in Germany for instance).

You can still simply put it on (perhaps minus the winglets), but in case of any problems Ferrari won't be held responsible as they've stated the kit is for offroad use only.

Love it personally, only thing I wouldn't put on is the winglets as it's over kill for me.

10. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    This kit has been available for quite some time now. It comes in 2 configurations:

Config 1: Front spoiler + Winglets: For fast tracks only (= top speeds exceeding 220 km/h). Can also be used on a slow speed track.

Config 2: Config 1 + rear lid. To be used on slow tracks only as it will cause reduced stability, understeer and slower straight line speeds resulting in slower lap times and unsafe handling.

I talked about it at length with my dealer and decided not to buy it given that I have my 458C for track purposes and all the hassle it would create with installation and removal of the different configs versus back to normal for road use.

PS: None of the configurations are homologated for road use but for track use only.

11. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Decreasing stability I don't think is a good idea on what is primarily a road car, though I must admit the rear lid does look very nice!

12. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Then I guess this kit is only ideal if you have two GTO, one for the track and the other for road use :)

13. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    These kits have ben available for over a year and when I first looked into it none of the kits were avaiable in the U.S. I would have had to buy it through a European dealer and have it shipped to me. It was also unclear at the time if an authorized Ferrari dealer here in the states would be allowed to install the kits ......liability and legal issues.
    In the end I gave it a pass. The removal of standard parts on my GTO and the sddition of the kit parts. With unknown downforce and stability issues when I'm tracking her at 185+ mph at Road America from the safety perspective alone made little sense. Besides, why mess with perfection. The GTO is not meant to look like a Japanese tuner.

14. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Love it! (my thoughts too fwiw)

15. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    This is statement is still true today. You still can't get the kits through US Ferrari dealerships today, it has to come through a European dealer.

16. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    GTO must be sublime on that track!