A new 612 owner | FerrariChat

A new 612 owner

Discussion in '612/599' started by FarEastFerrari, May 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    Hi everyone, I just took delivery of a 2007 612 HGTS model in Hong Kong. The car is metallic grey with a black interior with yellow stitching to match the Ferrari badge and the yellow disc calipers. The car had front and back parking sensors and a carbon fiber treatment for the dash. It looks and feels like a super car.

I love the sound of the engine and the bigger interior for my kids than the 997.1 Turbo which I just sold. The car is much bigger than the Porsche so it will take some time getting used to it. The series 1 997 Turbo is a gem of engineering and performance. I'm going to miss it.

I also found out that even in Auto mode, the F1 system requires me to hold my left foot on the brakes if I stop on a hill. Please tell me if I am doing something wrong. I purchased an after market camera-rear view mirror system which takes records the front and back views of the car and it also serves as a backing camera. Unfortunately I can't get the bose system to work properly as I am missing the manual. I am considering buying the 20" competition wheels but I am not sure if it is worth it.

If anyone has any advice for me on how to care/maintain/enjoy the 612. I'd appreciate it.

2. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    The 612 is a great car, you will really enjoy it. I have a late 06' 612, 6spd manual car. Mine has the 20' 599 Challenge wheels on it. They fit perfect and totally improve the look, fill out the wheel wells better and the rears are wider.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Thomas- When you stop in an F1 car, regardless of what gear you are in, the clutch is open, so there is nothing to hold it on a hill except for the brake. Same if you are stopped and it is flat. In neutral or 1st gear, or any gear, the clutch will be disengaged when stopped.

Remember, the F1 612 is a manual transmission and dry plate clutch Ferrari, with an electro-hydraulic system to shift gears and operate the clutch. In fact it is the same transmission and clutch used in the three pedal 612s.

4. dc348

dc348 Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Luckily back in HK
    Full Name:
    DC
    #4 dc348, May 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    Thanks. I guess the F1 transmission is like a manual when stopped on a hill. I found a set of Challenge wheels on eBay. The guy said it was OEM, new and unused Ferrari original. He has 100% feedback so I'm hoping it's not a fake.

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Thomas- There are no fake Challenge wheels out there that I have seen. $4-5K is a good price and 599 Challenge wheels fit perfectly, too.

7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    The F1 transmission IS a manual transmission. Its the same box as the stick shift version. The only thing they did was add some electric-hydrolic actuaters to move the clutch and swap the gears in lieu of the clutch pedal and shifter. So, drive it like a manual, but instead of moving your foot and elbow, you simply flick the paddle. I suspect you know all this, but my point is simply "drive it like a manual" and it will make sense. Btw, many of us swear off ever using the Auto mode for reasons both practical (it seems to wear clutches more) and spiritual :)

Your 612 sounds perfect! Do share some pics...

8. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Congratulations.

Some advice when it comes to the F1 gearbox, as others have said, drive it like a manual. Try avoid reversing up steep hills and if you have to, be abrupt with the throttle, decisive movement, rather than riding the clutch.

9. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    When I drove manual cars in the past, I usually used the hand brakes to stop the car from rolling back and before engaging the clutch/throttle. Should I do this or use my left foot on the brakes and my right foot on throttle?

10. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    #10 FarEastFerrari, May 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    About as legitimate as you can get. OEM Ferrari parts made by BBS for the rear of a 599. Fit a 612 perfectly (dozens running them), too, with 612 or 599 size rear tires. Put on Michelin Pilot Super Sports and she will handle and brake beautifully and ride better, too.

12. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    Great. I'll go ahead and order them. I'm waiting for a photo of the 20x8.5 for the front tires before I do the wire transfer. The price is a bit high at $6.5K but it's cheaper than 12K from the dealer here.

13. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    Taz - I know this has been answered on here before but what tire size MPSS would I need to get for the rears on these rims? I have them on my car w Pirellis and I want to switch over but the MPSS doesn't come in a 305.

14. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    Would anyone know what color is my paint job?

15. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    hi thomas. congrats on your purchase! what a great time to buy a 612 - it is such a bargain now. i think your colour is grigio silverstone - a great colour for a 612. hgts is perfect spec car for hk - fantastic exhaust note. i had a 612hgtc for a few years and miss that car. it was absolutely trouble free and very useful. like you a 4 seater sports car to me is more practical than a 2 seater while still providing the driving emotion. for me at least, i prefer the split rims on the hgts over the challenge style rims but it is all a matter of personal taste.

16. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Congats - I have the same color; but with black HGTS wheels and interior is Cuoio with black Daytona accents.

17. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    i went the other way. i essentially replaced my 612 with a 997.2 turbo manual. main reason was to go for a manual car. i also find the porsche to be much better suited to hk's tighter roads and car parks - especially with my rather inadequate parking skills. what i most miss on the 612 vs the 911 is the ability to carry golf clubs in the boot. 997 is vastly superior on the wet greasy roads that we have for about 6 months of the year.

18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Lift the hood/bonnet and on the inside front edge you will see a yellow sticker with the paint color.

19. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I agree that the 997 is better handling and smaller. I went to the 612 because my kids out grew the back seats and after hearing the 12 cylinder engines on the 3 x 250 GTEs that I purchased earlier this year I wanted to have the experience of driving a 12 cylinder Ferrari in HK. The 612 was the most available and practical option. I already miss driving the 997 Turbo however.

20. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I also installed backing camera system to help me with parking.

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Thomas- The fronts on the 599 and 612 are only 8" wide. Only the HGTE front wheels are 8.5" (GTO has 9.5" fronts).

Paint looks like Grigio Silverstone or Canna di Fucile. There is a paint sticker on her to tell you what color she is.

22. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    Hi yes the wheels I am getting are 8" wide in the front and 11" in the back both 20" in diameter. I will look for the sticker thanks

23. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    looks a fantastic car-hope you and you family enjoy it(mine certainly do!).

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Andrew- Missed your post. For the rear of your 612, I would go with MPSS in size 285/35 20 (OEM 612 size) or 295/35 20 if you want a little more rubber on the road. Both fit 11" wide wheels.