599 buttons getting sticky | FerrariChat

599 buttons getting sticky

Discussion in '612/599' started by doctorj!, Jun 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    I thought this problem was resolved with past models, but two buttons on my 599 have a sticky residue on them. Has anyone else had this happen?

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes. I have replaced many at the request of owners. Expensive.

3. Alist2003

Alist2003 Rookie

Oct 25, 2012
    UK Peterborough
    Full Name:
    Alistair Ashworth
    I find thoroughly washing my hands after eating donuts, especially before driving, tends to prevent this problem occuring :)

4. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Yeah ... mine are the same now. Its worse in the summer. You can have them refurbished if you don't want to replace them. But they still need to come off and that's still time in the shop.

5. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Use any good auto polish cream - the "stickiness" will come right off.

6. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    FoW clued me in on brake fluid as a fix. Disassemble and soak overnight in brake fluid, in the morning it rubs off in balls. Then neutralize the brake fluid with another wash and you're done. Of course if the items have paint on symbols or letters, that's a problem.

7. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    How does Ferrari get away with this crap decade after decade? I did my most of my buttons at home on my 360 but if I had a 599 and had to do them I would be so pissed!
    Has anyone ever heard the company address this issue?

8. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Because they will sell every car anyway, and haven't the character to do the right thing just because it's the right thing. Inconvenient truth. Like a $1k pair of ladies shoes, they pretend they aren't hurting their feet because they're so damned beautiful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

9. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
  10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sorry if I offended. I'm pissed about the sticky stuff. My car is covered in it. Not bad yet, but there must be 30 different parts that will someday need refinishing. Total bull****. And mine isn't a bad example at all. It's typical. And they should be ashamed.

Anyway, see you guys on the concours next week :)

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have read several threads on these sticky buttons. Maybe but for pure luck my 2008 612 has no sticky buttons, yet anyway. However, I am curious, which specific buttons are you guys referring to?

12. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not to hijack a 599 thread for 612's, but it's not just buttons. It's also the barrel around the key, the circle opposite side of the column, the trim panel under the radio, the base of the climate control knobs, the rings around the vents, the covers of the ashtrays, and of course every button in the salon to include window switches. You are indeed lucky. Mine aren't that bad either. But I've heard plenty about it getting to where it comes off on your finger and gets on whatever you touch.

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Guys, Porsche has the same issue. I know i had it in my 997. I started seeing that as early as 2010 (my car was a 2006).

Here is an example..Gooey volume knob and other bits?? - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

It's not just Ferrari. I find it incredible that you get sh*t quality for something so trivial as buttons on $100ks cars.

14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    How much does it cost to have buy all the buttons a 360 for example? I hear that it's expensive..but why???

15. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Truth. My last Cayenne Turbo S had a sticky volume knob, but that was the only item. There's far less of the crap in a Porsche. And 599 has far less than 612.

16. SMOKE

SMOKE Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have an '06 612. Buttons were fine, definitely "soft" but not sticky. Car was professionally detailed recently and buttons are now stickier.
    This makes me believe that a cleaning product used in the detail process may react with the plastic to accelerate the problem.
    The buttons were acceptable prior to professional detail and stickiness is now evident in places where a damp cloth with cleaning/preserving fluid may have come in contact with rubber/plastic parts.
    I think this is worth keeping in mind.

17. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    You didn't offend. I'm just ticked that it's happening.

18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ah ha, very interesting. I think you may be onto something there. I don't know what the one previous owner did, but when I bought the car all the buttons/switches were fine and still are. I haven't used any cleaners on the interior, just a damp cloth. I think I will keep to that regimen.

19. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm sure the wrong cleaning products can do harm, but it's well established that heat and humidity are all it takes. New parts can come sticky out of the box if stored in such conditions, from what I've read.

20. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Doesn't hurt your balls though?

21. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
  22. rbf41000

rbf41000 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Russell
    not a Ferrari but on my 08 Lamborghini the buttons were fine until I had it detailed, it came back looking like it had been slimed inside with olive oil. I cleaned all the goo off of the leather but a few days later all my buttons started to get sticky, I tried to clean them but all the paint came off (my buttons are made from white plastic and painted black with the lighted section left white) so am having new buttons. Let me tell you Lamborghini buttons are just as expensive as Ferrari buttons

23. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    We do alot of Lamborghini buttons also.