599 F1 Operation | FerrariChat

599 F1 Operation

Discussion in '612/599' started by 360modena2003, Jun 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    I have been reading the manual on ferraridatabase, I have some questions regarding the operation of the F1.

When "N" is requested, does the clutch fully disengage (meaning throw out bearing, etc.) all have no load on them?

Can "N" be request at any time - does it happen by going "down" to N (for example, 4, 3, 2, 1, N")?

Thank you

2. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ferraris have a constant contact throw-out bearing, so there is always some wear, although probably not as much as when the clutch is open.

When stopped, which is what I think you want to know, the clutch on an F1 Ferrari is always open, even in neutral. So, unlike a three pedal car, selecting neutral when rolling to a stop does not decrease wear on the throw-out bearing. It does avoid automatic downshifts that cycle the clutch, gears and synchros, and throw-out bearing.

One of our pros estimates an F1 throw-out bearing sees about three times more cycles than a three pedal throw-out bearing.

4. msdes123

msdes123 Rookie

Sep 29, 2013
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark S
    When I picked up my 599 the dealer told me to always put it in neutral if im sitting at a standstill in traffic or at busy junctions/lights etc...for more than a few seconds because otherwise I will be wearing the clutch much quicker, being a ferrari novice Ive just always followed this advice, have I been mis informed?

5. ElastomerGuy

ElastomerGuy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2007
    N.W. PA
    I have a tendency to put my 599 in Auto mode and just drive it like it was an automatic. I just turned over 10,000 miles last week and also had my annual service done at Algar,. I always ask those guys to give me a clutch wear reading when I have my annual service. With the 10k miles on it, and driving mostly in Auto, my clutch is only worn 15%. Also, in Auto, my car automatically switches into neutral if it's been sitting too long in Auto without moving. I'm going to guess it takes about 1 to 2 minutes of idling without moving and then it will switch to neutral automatically. It also beeps to inform me that it has switched to neutral. So, I think the car also has some protection built into it to preserve the clutch.

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, you have been misinformed. It's incredible how little car salesman know about the vehicles they sell. It's not just Ferrari, but probably all car makes.

If I know I am going to come to a full stop, I pull both levers and go straight to neutral. There's no sense in shifting through all the gears. However, there is no difference in sitting in neutral or 1st for a normal duration traffic light.

I think the issue with using auto is if you are coming to a stop, it will shift 5 times to get to 1st gear, versus shifting once to neutral and then once more back into 1st if you do it manually.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mark- Yup, or they did not explain it fully. No difference in wear in 1st or neutral while stopped. Clutch is open in either case. Eventually, if you sit in gear for a long period, measured in minutes, the system will select neutral for you. If you relax pressure on the brake pedal while stopped and in gear, she will select neutral in a very short period of time, measured in seconds. Just like Paul said.

8. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My 08 599 shifted fine. 458 is perhaps smoother.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- The DCTs do tend to be smoother, and quicker, than the dry plate F1 systems. Completely different designs.

10. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Great, thank you all for the comments. So pulling back on both levers would select neutral at any time?

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes...driving the car in auto mode every once in a while is also a good idea.

12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, that is correct.

13. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Never heard that. Why?

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Another reason to keep the car in gear vs. N at a stop- you never know when some idiot will not come to a stop behind you and if you need to move away, putting it in gear is one more thing to take note of.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If you do it every time, no problem getting it in gear if someone is coming fast, especially if you have Challenge paddles. The worst technique is to sometimes leave her in 1st and sometimes leave her in neutral. When you do that, you may forget whether you are in 1st or neutral and upshift to second for the start. Rough on the clutch.

Years of driving should have you in the habit of checking the mirror every time you put on the brakes, especially if braking hard. These things stop a lot quicker than your average SUV or mini-van. Whenever I am braking, my left hand is on the downshift lever, just in case.

16. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    So if it is in N or any other gear when at a "stop" the clutch is open? (meaning the T/O bearing is working - as if one would be holding down the clutch pedal on a 3 pedal car)?

17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I believe that is correct. And of course, always be alert. When the maniac behind you is closing in, its nice to be able to get on the gas right away. There are just too many nut jobs out there. I can't tell you how many times I've been glad the car was "in gear". Happens all the time- especially in a Ferrari because people want to get close.

18. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    so putting it in N makes to difference to clutch "life" - right?

19. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    when the car is in gear and you are a complete stop - does it make a difference is you gently press the gas or put "gas" more into it?

Thanks

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Why would you want to rev it like that? If in gear, she will try to start moving, if in neutral, just wastes gas unless you are trying to get the attention of the sweet thing in the next car. At which point sweet thing will probably think: "What a dork."

21. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    no, I meant when trying to move the car "off the line"...does it make a difference to clutch life to do it gentle (more slippage) or push it so it fully engages?

Thanks

22. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Intrigued and fascinated on the operation of this system.

I still do not understand how system determines the amount of clutch "engagement" -

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bog start until the clutch bites. Once fully engaged, no problem.

There is a clutch position sensor and angular speed sensors that send signals to the F1 ECU/TCU. Plus the TCU gets signals from the starboard Motronic DME on velocity, rpm, temperatures, etc. Download an F1 workshop manual on the 360 and read through the theory parts. Free at ferraridatabase.com. The Spider manual is the most up to date. Not sure the F430 WSM there has much theory. Looked, most of it is missing, so the 360 WSM is the best bet.

24. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Got - so basically there is a hydraulic piston working on the clutch emulating when someone would "press/depress" the clutch pedal.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Hydraulic pressure on F1 fluid at 800-900 psi drives the annular thow-out bearing through a hose from the F1 actuator, just like hydraulic pressure from brake fluid drives the annular thow-out bearing from the clutch master cylinder. Because of the difference in fluids, the throw-out bearing seals are different on F1 and three pedal throw-out bearings. The throw-out bearings are one of the main differences between F1 and three pedal Ferraris, which use the same clutch and transmission.