612 - using the cigar lighter socket to charge a phone | FerrariChat

612 - using the cigar lighter socket to charge a phone

Discussion in '612/599' started by devil boy, Jun 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    Hi there, like the topic says. I have recently purchased a 612 OTO and the cigar lighter in the centre console works just fine. Burns my finger beautifully when I touch it to see if hot !
    But I have tried two or three different USB adapter plugs to charge my iPhone or Tom Tom sat nav (Bose sat nav is a pain to use!) and absolutely nothing.

Is this a design 'feature' or do I have a fault?

Can't be the plugs as I have tried a few and they work in different vehicles.

Thanks in advance for you help. I did a search and couldn't find anything specific so go easy on me if this has been covered before!

JJStye likes this.
  2. Smart4400

Smart4400 Rookie

Jan 14, 2014
    I have no problem with mine.. I've been using a garmin nav and uniden detector... Separately of course...

3. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The socket in mine doesn't seem to hold the plugs very well, as in not snug. I have a habit of pushing down on the plug every so often while driving to reseat. Otherwise it will back off enough to lose the connection. It works fine, just not very tight.

4. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    strangely, it states in the owners manual "Do not use the cigarette lighter seat as a power socket for electrical items of any kind!" ... page: 89 in the 2009 612 manual I read.

JJStye likes this.
  5. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Wow. Bizarre and disturbing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Interesting. I have a hard-wire for my Valentine in my 612, but I do use the cigarette lighter on occasion to charge my phone. No issues other than, as Piper points out, not a very snug fit.

At least some of the chargers I have had have come with a sleeve to fix the fit issue, but I'm sure I lost that long ago.

7. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    Thanks for the replies guys. I will try again later giving a firmer wiggle and push!

8. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK

I read the same thing which was why I thought maybe there was some sort of prevention mechanism to use as a charging outlet

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I had read the warning not to use the cigarette lighter in the manual before I bought my car. Then when I picked it up I had forgotten about it and plugged in my Valentine. It worked fine.

I'm guessing they just want to avoid any problems if some electrical device malfunctions and over heats.

10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Or under some set of circumstances it causes an under voltage that fries an ecu :D I read something like that and I hear "dont cross the streams. It would be bad".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

11. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    OK figured this one out now. Removed the cigar lighter and holder and did a continuity test. The problem is the cigar lighter heats by being gripped on the sides by steel clips which don't corrode. A phone charger has a pin that connects to a small copper disc in the centre of the cigar lighter holder. This copper disc has a tendency to corrode and spoil to conductivity. A scrape of this copper disc solved the problem.