Looking to buy a 612. 3 Questions to the experts | FerrariChat

Looking to buy a 612. 3 Questions to the experts

Discussion in '612/599' started by Andy Spandy, Jul 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andy Spandy

Andy Spandy Rookie

Jul 4, 2014
    Hello there,
    I have 3 major questions on how to buy a 612.
    1) Is a manual better and more reliable than the F1?
    2) are the post 2007 better than the years before?
    3) at which mileage (km) is the maintenance getting expensive?
    Thank you in advance for the help.
    Andy

GTV 1750, 1968
    GTAm 2.0 1971

2. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    1: depends how you define better, an F1 driven incorrectly will eat its clutch, likewise a manual so they are equal there. A manual is a rarer car than an F1 though.
    2: There were software improvements in late 2007 early 2008 if I recall correctly, this influenced the F1 gearbox and the HGTC kit was also available later, later 2008/2009 cars had OTO spec.

3. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #3 southnc, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    From what I understand, only about 10% of total 612 production had the manual. I have the F1 and it works well. What you need to watch out for is a broken reverse lever - it has a tendency to break if not treated carefully and can cost like $5000 USD to replace.

I have 2007 HGTS model. The HGTS / HGTC are the ones to get for early models. The only difference between HGTS and HGTC is the later has the carbon brakes. However, the standard steal brakes are just fine, unless your a track nut. These packages offer upgraded performance suspension, exhaust, wheels, and faster shifting for F1 models.

The 2nd Gen (2008 +) models have the innovative (and not so well received) Bose entertainment system and upgraded transmission with Manettino controls on the wheel. The F1 transmission is also slightly quicker again, and the wheels are upgraded. There are also some additional luxury items, such as sun roof, etc.

I do not believe engine performance changed much through out the entire production line.

For the money, I like the 1st generation HGTS models.

From what I've read, the more the mileage the better the reliability. :) Just keep in mind, this is the last model to have the rubber belts, that need changing every 4-5 years.

Here is some good reference info to read for purchasing a 612:
    http://www.forza-mag.com/issues/124/articles/the-every-day-exotic?page=1

Good luck.

4. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    i have question, can the old cd player in 612 2006 year be replaced with the Bose entertainment system which comes 2008 year ?if yes what is needed to replace? thank you

5. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    The Bose entertainment system was introduced in 2007 - my 2007 HGTC has it, and almost all other 2007 I have seen has it... It is a big improvement over the original 2005-2006 head unit - not sure why someone said it wasn't well received...

6. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Almost anything is possible..... But the amount of work it would take to install a Bose system in a non-Bose car is tremoundous.

It simply would not be worth it.

7. NickKerigan

NickKerigan Karting

Mar 17, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick Kerigan
    Any news on what is happening with the Ferrari approved upgrade system for the Becker unit - anyone know when this will become available?

8. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I recently asked the Ferrari dealer about replacing the Becker unit with the Bose unit in later cars, and they were not enthusiastic about it; stating it was ridiculously expensive and not nearly as good as much cheaper third party options.

I also asked them about the upcoming replacement units that Ferrari has been promising, and they have heard nothing.

Here is the only news I have on the replacement units that Ferrari is planning:
    "The new system CarPlay is available only on new range cars and cannot be installed on older ones. However, since we know that infotainment solutions are really important for our customers and also owners of older vehicles deserve the same care as all other customers, we developed an AfterMarket product aimed at offering last generation infotainment, completely compatible with most recent phones. This new product is already available for F430, 355 and 360 Modena, while in the next few months it will be offered also for 599, 612 Scaglietti and first versions of California."

source: Aftermarket CarPlay solutions? Not so fast says Volvo & Ferrari | 9to5Mac

9. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #9 Piper, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    Andy,

By post 2007 if you mean 2008 and beyond, those would be OTO cars and have a number of significant improvements over the earlier models, upgraded suspension, manettino steering wheel, glass roof, faster shift times. As has been said, how you drive it will determine clutch life. I have an early one for sale, a 2005, and just had the clutch measured at 70% remaining, bought it at 80% 4500 miles ago. If driven properly, given the average mileage put on these cars, you might never see the day you need a clutch. Mine has an upgraded Hill throwout bearing from the last and presumably only clutch service done, another part that takes wear if driven less than optimally. If you don't need a glass roof and don't care about a switch on your steering wheel to do what a button does on earlier models, save a ton of money and get an early one. The substantive upgrade to the suspension is a sway bar which can be added for a couple grand.

10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  11. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

Sway bar? Can you explain?

Position, advantages etc?

Thank you

Ricardo

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ricardo- Sway bar= anti-roll bar and there is an HGTC/HGTS/HGT2 thicker rear anti-roll bar that cuts down on understeer, as well as springs from the same kits. With little to no demand for these upgraded handling kits, they have been available from dealers for as little as $1700 for bar, springs, and shock ECU, plus installation.

13. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I can understand the lack of demand. My stock 05 handles beautifully already. $1700 is peanuts on a car like this but I just don't see the point. Fine as is.

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    1) If I could have ordered my car new I would have gotten a 3 pedal car. However, now that I've driven the F1 I'm happy with it. Everyone I've spoken with and everyone who has posted here seem to agree that if you drive it properly, and not use the auto function, the F1 will be very reliable.

2) Well they certainly added more stuff to the later models, particularly the OTO's. I guess it depends if you like/want all that stuff. I have an OTO and am very happy with the extra stuff, but I could have done without it. The key thing for me was I wanted a particular color combination.

3) After 1 mile (.6 km)! :D

15. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #15 Piper, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    Indeed, this can be the case. I took delivery of mine needing a major, spent $10k the first month. BUT, I knew it, built it into the price, and it hasn't needed a thing since and won't for a very long time. Well, it will need an oil change soon.

Actually that would be 1.6 km.

16. ccferrari

ccferrari Karting

Aug 11, 2005
    Hi Taz,
    Are these still available. I've very interested. Which dealers have them at that price?
    Thanks!

17. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have the Bose, and it's fine, but I would think you could find a superior third party option which would be much less expensive.

18. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    Buy a Kenwood or Pioneer double DIN. Fits perfect, touchscreen looks as good as OEM. Plus, the new units have CarPlay feature which means you'll have essentially the same or better interface than a brand new FF or Cali T. And the stock Bose speakers and amp are quite good.

As for the clutch, the F1 is excellent for the 612. On my 2006 it is silky smooth, but that's because I know how to drive it. It took me a good 6 months to master perfect shifts.

A guy in the local FCA with a 2009 OTO 612 drove my car and told me he noticed no difference in how it shifts. Granted, we were not racing anyone or anything at the time.

I do not regret the F1 transmission, and I find it is superior to those in similarly-aged Astons, Porsches and BMWs.

For the price you cannot beat a solid 2006 or even 2007. They really are super values if you find one with decent clutch life and relatively low miles.

19. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    what Kenwood or Pioneer double DIN model will fit on 612 2006 model ? thanks

20. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    All of them. Standardized. Got a Pioneer in mine.

21. spsabga

spsabga Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 16, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm curious about Nospinzone's comment about the F1 that you "should drive it properly, and not use the auto function". I'm also shopping for a 612 and trying to learn as much as I can. How do you drive it properly vs. improperly? Why is it not good to use the auto function?

22. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The auto function at least on earlier examples seems to bog the clutch a little when shifting, feels tentative, may noy be exactly describing it right but it certainly doesn't feel optimal. I tried it once in my f430 and once in the 612 for grins. No thanks.

Optimally, you're engaging 1st in less than a car legth, keeping throttle absolutely steady during shifts until you're used enough to it to know when to give a little more or less, knowing how to get your shifting done before major changes to throttle, dropping into neutral to coast to stops, all of it helps. It's fun, and artful.

23. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I also tried the Auto function on my '07 612 F1 and found the shifting was kind of jerky during fast acceleration, with lots of hessitation. It worked better when driving more sedately. But c'mon - all Ferraris like to be whipped. :)

So, I avoid it. Regardless, even in "manual" mode, the system will override you if you do something it doesn't like.

24. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    None of them...
    You would need to alter the radio bezel, and even then, a double din is a little taller than the Ferrari 612 dash. The bottom of the bezel is curved inwards, the bottom of the stereo is square.
    They look OK depending on how critical you are.

25. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh crap. Sorry for the false information.