Small tear in rubber door gaskets | FerrariChat

Small tear in rubber door gaskets

Discussion in '612/599' started by riozilla, Jul 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    #1 riozilla, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I found two small tears (about 1" long) in each of my rubber door gaskets on the driver and passenger side. See pic below.

The tears in the rubber gasket are where the side window closes into the door gasket when it is rolled up. The driver side one causes wind noise when I drive at highway speeds which is irritating.

What do you guys think I should do? Can i use a clear rubber adhesive to try and fix/seal them?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Unless you are really experienced in this, I would not attempt it. You could end up ruining the whole seal.

I would take it to a top notch auto body shop. They deal with this kind of thing all the time.

docf likes this.
  3. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Yes good advice, thanks & will do.

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea, I'm handy and fix a lot of things, but fussy things like this that I don't want to screw up, I don't attempt. Like Dirty Harry said, a man has got to know his limitations. :D

5. ddonzella

ddonzella Karting

Jun 2, 2014
    Davie
    Question, The pic is a little hard to see but it looks like it is a designed "cut". Are the "cuts" in the exact same place on either side? If so then they are most likely designed to release air pressure from within the seal as the window compresses it.

6. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Ah, yes they are in the exact same place on both driver and passenger sides!

I thought that the "tears" were caused by the windows somehow by perhaps not being properly calibrated.

If they are indeed designed to be intentional, it would be good to know if other cars have them and what I can do about the wind whistling noise at higher speeds that they cause.

I have not had time to go to a good body shop to get their point of view yet.

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    DON'T SEAL THEM! I just checked my car and I have the same vents. I never noticed them.

However, I don't know if those are what's causing your wind noise. I have zero wind noise even at high speed. It would be great if you could find another 612 in your area so you could closely compare the window stripping to see where yours might vary.

8. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I went to the best body shop in LA yesterday (Avio Coachcraft) and am working it all out with them. Looks like my driver door is slightly out of alignment and that's causing the wind noise, not the release gap in the rubber seals. Will report back once I have the complete fix in a few weeks.

9. Surfsurgeon

Surfsurgeon Rookie

Apr 2, 2013
    Did you ever get the wind noise to out of your driver's window at speed? My 612 does the same thing and I'm wondering what to do. Thanks

10. echo002

echo002 Rookie

Nov 16, 2021
    Wauconda, IL
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hi Riozilla,

Apologies on bringing a post back from the dead. I’m about to take my 612 out of storage for the summer and while I was only able to drive it a few times after receiving it, I did notice an annoying wind noise as well on the highway. It sounds as if it’s coming from the drivers side door/window. Not terrible, but annoying.

Curious how yours turned out.

thanks!