Finally drove a 599 | FerrariChat

Finally drove a 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by PATLEW, Jul 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    #1 PATLEW, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After a few months I finally was able to test drive a 599 GTB that the local dealer brought in to their inventory. Car was beautiful very well optioned 11k miles red and tan, one meticulous owner car was perfect in every way. I was able to get a full experience from highway to nailing it full out in curves and wide open straights. The car was amazingly comfortable but it left me disappointed. I did only drive it for an hour but in the end I did not get the visceral feel I did from driving the 458 that I expected with the 599. 599 powerful and agile but not as aggressive as the 430 or 458 completely different driving experiences. If I was in a position to own two cars the 599 would be a great addition.

As a daily driver for me in my opinion perfect car for everyday use and long beautiful drives in a wonderful machine. The sound of the v12 was magic but in the end I guess I am a rear mid engine 8 cylinder guy. Don't get me wrong I really liked the car but it did not leave me needing to trade the 430 in for it.

I think if I am upgrading I will be trading for a 458 in the very near future. if anyone is looking for a perfect 599 this is it at FCI Charlotte asking 170k
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    #2 PATLEW, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    Good luck finding the car that meets your driving needs.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Pat- The 458 makes a pretty good GT, but I would rather have a 599 and a V12. If the handling was not tight enough, try an HGTE.

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    599 is more of a highway GT car that can do back road curves.

458 is really a newer generation super car that is mostly at home on back road curves but can do highways. It really has the speed of the 599- maybe it even has more! But it doesn't have that glorious V12.

6. sarum87

sarum87 Karting

Sep 7, 2011
    i'm actually going the other way. I'm selling my 458 coupe after a great year of ownership (4k miles on it, red/ beige) and getting into a 599 HGTE (Black/Black). I want more of a GT Touring car and less of the boy racer (for lack of better description). The 599 is easier to get into (i'm 6'3") and very comfortable. I do more touring driving that I do backroad blasting. I finally drove the 599 HGTE last week and it doesn't have the refinement and up to date tech that the 458 has (or the FF has- I also considered that car but could not get past the look of the hatchback) but I did find it exciting to drive. I wanted to experience a proper v12 and I loved it. I was looking at the f12 and would love to get one but I don't have enough leg room in the car! I was so bummed. I have more leg room in my 458, the 599, and the FF than in the f12. Go figure. I may drive the 599 and see what they do with the redesign of the FF....Fun choices nonetheless. You'll love the 458. It's a terrific car.

7. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Are you trading the 458 in?

8. sarum87

sarum87 Karting

Sep 7, 2011
    No. It's for sale at the Ferrari dealer in San Francisco.

9. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel

you are Wright, i have The Same Problem in The f12, Not Enough leg room, The 599 Layout is much more comfortable, in The lhd f12 its impossible to stretch your left foot Out, After One Hour of driving i allways have kneepain, which i usually Never experience:(

Sent from my iphone with Tapatalk

10. suicidedoors1964

suicidedoors1964 Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    Nothing wrong with being a rear/mid engine guy. Though if you had only room for two cars. The 430 and 599 would be great stable mates. Each offering a totally different experience. I have been thinking about adding a 599 or a 911 Turbo S as the stable mate to my Boxer.

11. voncabbage

voncabbage Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    new york
    Full Name:
    ira j.
    With all the talk about how the 599 drives, I have a question for y'all. I currently have a 456m (manual) and was thinking about getting a 599. Yesterday, my wife was invited to test drive the California T and I tagged along. While she was out on her test drive, I was speaking to the other people there, most of whom were already Ferrari owners. One guy I spoke to in particular was saying how he had previously owned a 599, but it handled "like a truck" and so he got rid of it. He also had previously had a couple of 360's and 430's. Do you think he was comparing apples and oranges (GT vs. sports) like the previous poster? He did, however, say that the F12 handled "like a dream". By the way, concerning the "T", I drove one also. I had never previously driven an F1 transmission equipped car, but both cars I tested had a "glitch" or momentary hesitation when first starting from rest. Is this a common trait to all F1 equipped cars, or maybe a bug in these pre-production (they were euro-specced cars) models? Thanks for your input!

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion but frankly the 599 doesn't handle like a truck. It handles wonderfully.

13. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I had an F430 for 4 years and then traded it for a 599. I now have a 458 for 2 years. I liked my f430 better than the 599. I prefer the sports car feel. The 458 is better still. The 599 was not the Ferrari experience I was looking for.

14. cam man

cam man Karting

Nov 6, 2004
    Interesting comments. I just traded my 458 for a 599 HGTE. Car has not arrived yet so I cant comment on the 599 vs 458 comparo. I have two dedicated track cars. Once I started driving true race cars I have never looked at street cars the same. Hence the reason for switching to the 599. The racey aspect of the 458 doesnt appeal to me anymore. I guess I will soon find out!

15. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    The 599 HGTE is an amazing car. Just a blast to drive, handles beautifully.

16. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Damned odd comment regarding the 599. Like a truck? That's just bizarre.

I've driven the Cali T and the only thing I can think is that you're feeling the parking brake automatically disengage.

Cali is a dual clutch, not an F1.

17. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    My "truck" can handle pretty damn well then. Not worse than an F430 though... Fiorano lap records - FastestLaps.com

18. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Our "trucks" were commissioned by Luka to best an F40 on the track in style and comfort.

19. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #19 southnc, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    I've owned a 328, 512 BBi (Boxer), and now 612. I've also driven the TR extensively - during comparison with Boxer. Also have seat time in the 355 and have been in both F1 and manual versions around Road Atlanta.

In terms of driving like a "truck", that would definitely go to the Boxer and TR. I raced my Boxer around Road Atlanta once - I'm still shaking from that experience.

The 328 and 355 feel like true sports cars - small, agile, and lithe. I hope all of you get a chance to drive the last of the true raw & visceral cars that Ferrari made. They are tight, loud, uncomfortably hot, but oh so glorious - you can only stand a couple of hours in these cars, but then you can't wait to get back into them. The track experience in the 355 is one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had - what a car!

The TR & Boxer are very good long-distance cars with gobs of power and an exotic cockpit; but not true sports cars by any means. They look cool for sure, but I don't miss them.

The 612 is my first front-engined V12. Fantastic, comfortable car that can go from quiet and sedate to ferocious when needed, with seemingly endless power available. Being a modern Ferrari, it is much more refined and drives like a much smaller car. A great GT experience and so flexible. I would presume the same for its 599 sibling, which I have yet to drive.

When looking at the track results, pretty astonishing to see the 612 would probably lay waste to all of my previous cars, whilst carrying 4 adults in comfort.

If I were to get a 2nd Ferrari, I would probably opt for a 348 (sorted), 360 (MT) or 430. Have to admit, I wouldn't mind having a 328 again - the one car I do regret selling. 355 would be awesome, but maintenance would not be.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Adam- One whilst and you gave yourself away as an ex-pat from RHD-land.

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I know right. Who makes a comment like that? "Truck". Really?

The only people who make a comment like that are dimwits that drive an exotic and then tell you "it's fast". Duh. Why not tell me about how when compared to the 360/430 its not as "nervous", or transitions nicer on the turns apex with the transaxle arrangement.

22. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    LOL.

Nice try - but, I'm actually from the Bronx (NYC) and have never been fortunate enough to visit Merry Old England; but, hope to do so in the future.

I have lots of friends from there and have attended several F1 races in Canada with them. Also, watching too much Top Gear.

Cheers ;)

Adam

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Adam- Apparently it wore off on your writing style. 6 years in the UK for me.

24. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I get it. It's a big, heavy car. Although it handles well, you can feel the weight. Although it certainly doesn't handle like a truck, the feeling of weight might be disconcerting to some or just unexpected. The 458, on the other hand feels light and, let's say "sprightly."

25. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    A mid-engined sports car and a GT car are definitely going to have a different dynamic, in terms of feel and performance.

In terms of a "truck", that would be more for a TR or Boxer.

All of the modern GT and sports cars are all-aluminum design and feel like cars much smaller then they are.

It also depends on the type of driving your doing: Track, Back-Roads, Highway, etc.

In terms of weight, all Ferraris are fairly heavy, due to safety and luxury requirements. You want light, get a Lotus or dedicated race car.