Beeps, Buzzers, and Lights | FerrariChat

Beeps, Buzzers, and Lights

Discussion in '612/599' started by HogPilot, Jul 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HogPilot

HogPilot Karting
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 9, 2014
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Todd Williams
    Hey guys. I'm still new here and trying to figure out a few things regarding my new (to me) 599. I've tried the search function here but to no avail on this topic, as well as Google but still nothing.

So, one of the things I'm not to thrilled about with my 599 is all of the warning bells and warnings. For instance, I back the car our of the garage solo, the wife jumps into the passenger seat and since the car is in gear or in reverse, immediately we are serenaded with the "Passenger Air Bag Not Armed" beeps and warnings, followed very shortly by the "Passenger Seat Belt Not Fastened" beeps and warnings, or upon backing into a parking spot, maybe she pops the seatbelt just prior to coming to a complete stop and turning off the car. Yep, you guessed it, the "Passenger Seat Belt Not Fastened" beeps again. Etc., Etc., Etc.

My 04 Dodge truck did the same type of thing initially including repeatedly locking me out of the truck when getting out to unlock a gate with the engine running. The truck's operating manual describes a procedure for turning off all of those automatic warnings. Is there a procedure for turning off these most annoying warnings in the 599 as well?

Thanks in advance.

2. alonsomassa79

alonsomassa79 Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    WV
    Full Name:
    vignesh
    Would be against the law. I dont believe you can meddle with them

3. HogPilot

HogPilot Karting
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 9, 2014
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Todd Williams
    Well maybe but I don't think it's against the law, unless the law was changed since 2004.

As mentioned, my Dodge Ram 2004 model has a specific set of procedures to turn off the automatic warning bells and buzzers. I don't remember them all but it had to do with cycling the key on and off 10 to 12 times, with certain pauses of specified time between cycles and activating the horn numerous times at certain intervals.

Performing these procedures turned off the seat belt audio tones while retaining the "seat belt not fastened" light. I was also able to terminate the automatic door lock feature as well. On the 599, I know the auto door lock feature can be terminated and the warning tones can be reduced in volume (supposedly although mine don't seem to have diminished in the least) on the "Car Set Up" function, but can the audio warnings be turned off entirely?

The visual warnings are fine but the audio warnings really become annoying, especially when there are two or three stacked upon each other such as the reverse beeping with the passenger disconnecting the seat belt a few seconds prior to coming to a stop and turning off the car.

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    One of the beeps might be because you are in reverse. My 612 beeps whenever I'm in reverse, but if don't know if it is the same on the 599. My front and rear parking sensors have a button on the console that will shut those off.

I've read my manual thoroughly and I haven't seen any procedure to turn off the seat belt or airbag warnings. Only a guess but it might be possible with a SD3.

5. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Would be great to find a way to at least switch of the beep when in reverse, absolute nonsense in my view.

6. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    Yes...I've never had a car that alerts me to so many things....sometimes driving down the road I hear a high pitched beep from the dash. I don't know if its the radar detect system or something else. But...hey.....gotta love the car!!!!!!!!!!!

7. HogPilot

HogPilot Karting
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 9, 2014
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Todd Williams
    Yep, definitely love the car, but the incessant warnings are obnoxious. Agree on the back up beeping. Why? Just ... why? It's not like an external beeping from a tractor or forklift warning bystanders that the machine is in reverse and the driver may not see you. SMH!

Methinks this is the result of our litigious society in the US whereby to prevent lawsuits, we must be overly warned of potential hazards. For example, beeping when you open the door. Yep, I opened it. Don't need the beeping to warn me that I'm getting out of, or into the car! I wonder if the European cars have all of these same audio warnings?

8. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think the warning beep in reverse is to tell you the rear parking sensors have been activated.

The passenger air bag can be turned off in the uk,, and i guess it's the same with you, if it has been turned off [ and it seems to be telling you it has] for some reason, there is a good chance it will warn you every time someone gets in that is turned off.
    It is normally only turned off, if you have a child seat in the passenger seat.

One thing i found with mine was to turn the ignition on, and wait a few seconds before firing it up to let it do all the checks, and this stops a lot of the start up false alarms.

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Grant- No, it is just to tell you that you are in reverse. My 575M does it, too, and nobody even thought about putting parking sensors in one of those. The other beeps for the seats are caused by the smart airbag and seat sensor for the passenger, something else the 575M and its blacksmith avionics does not have. For each new capability and government nanny, we pay a price. Those seats and airbags are definitely safer for small passengers (less than 80 lbs, I believe), if you can stand the noise.

10. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    my question still is if there is a (simple) way to switch it off via software or just remove the beeper? At least the stupid reverse beep....

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    First world problem.

12. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    This entire forum is about first world problems...we wouldn't be posting here, or even driving a Ferrari to begin with.

No one "needs" a Ferrari...right?

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I'm pretty sure these sounds cannot be disabled via normal routes. Maybe there is someone out there who could figure an unofficial answer for you.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    360- No, they are not a problem in that they do not affect the way the vehicle runs or performs. They are an annoyance to some owners and nothing to others. Only the pros with access to MODIS can likely track down the source, and it is likely not even possible using that source. Many of those features are built into boards that only the component manufacturer has diagrams for. If one of the boards failed, MODIS would just tell you to replace it or the component into which it fits, likely the entire instrument panel with the 8 Mb chip that controls many of those functions.

If anybody can answer the question, it would probably be FAI in SoCal. They are the digital instrument panel experts and repaired the instrument panel in my Ferrari.

Franchorchamps of America, Inc.
    935 Sunset Dr Suite A
    Costa Mesa, CA 92627
    (949) 631-6373

Rod Drew
    [email protected]

Will White
    Home

15. migg48

migg48 Karting

Jul 7, 2006
    I realize this is an older thread, but in case you're still looking.....

One of my cars is a new BMW 650i. Great car, by the way. It's got all kinds of modern electronic annoyances and options. There are, within the BMW community, electronic 'coders' that can plug into your car and make it stop doing what annoys you and make it do lots of good things that don't come from the factory. I'd be surprised if there aren't counterparts in the Ferrari community.

16. Toddston

Toddston Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    New York, NY
    Good read.Thanks.

17. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    All this beeping stuff is the result of US liability issues. ROW (rest of world) cars unfortunataly do not differ any more in modern times ....

Someone who shuts down all those warning signals (if possible) for you might get great problems in case that something happens to you or your wife using the car. Not by you, presumably, but by your insurances. I would not do that (for others) .....