My 1st 612 Sighting, and From My 612 | FerrariChat

My 1st 612 Sighting, and From My 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by Piper, Jul 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So cool. I actually drove an hour away to meet a guy who'd driven another three hours more to meet me to see my 612. He loved it and I think will be buying it shortly. Interestingly, same guy who bought Blampee's TDF 355. So on my way back, I'm getting close to home in Leesburg and lo and behold a gorgeous nero 612 is pulling onto rt15 south, ended up a few cars behind me. I pull over to let her pass, catch up, and it's an early 612 like mine. I've never, not once, met another 612 in the wild, not at car shows and events in four states, not at the national FCA meet, never. And here I am at home and I run into a 612 in my 612. Long odds on that one, and really cool that it would happen once before I let her go to the next worthy custodian. Wonder who it was. I followed for half a mile and exited away from her as she gave a couple blinks of the taillights goodbye.

2. alonsomassa79

alonsomassa79 Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    WV
    Full Name:
    vignesh
    nostalgic! She is telling you look at me..dont let me go!

3. nsortor12

nsortor12 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2013
    Louisville
    That's awesome! I'm still waiting to see another Ferrari on the streets while I'm in mine. I normally see a few Ferraris a month here in Louisville, but I've not once seen another Ferrari while driving around in mine! :D

Nick

4. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It was strikingly gorgeous. 612 is a beautiful, beautiful car. I won't rule out another someday. But this isn't my keeper. My keeper has to be in my colors and blue isn't my color. I like it. I don't love it. Black is also not my color, but the silhouette was HOT.

5. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    Great story. I've yet to see another 612 in the wild. I certainly believe that time is doing the 612's design a lot of good... I don't think there's much about the design that will look dated in the years to come.

6. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Near story. In my hood there are several fcars in the wild.

Love the 612. It's next. Then FF. One has to love the depreciation curves

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I saw a 612 in Boston in either 2005 or 2006. It was parked in the small lot at the old Louis store on Berkeley Street. When I saw that car I said to myself this will be the Ferrari I will get. It was the same color configuration as my car now and the exact one I wanted.

I never saw another 612 since then until one month after I got my 612 in August last year. In September I was in our town center (its tiny as there are only about 10,000 residents). A guy pulls up and parks his 612 right in front of me. I couldn't help but strike up a conversation and tell him that I just bought one. Turns out he has had his for 5 years and drives it all the time. Yet I had never seen it before. And I should add, I haven't seen it since!

8. vtfnupe

vtfnupe Karting

Feb 20, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Same here...have not seen another 612 in my area. 430s, 360s, a 458, a grey 599 and even a white F12, but never another 612...at least not yet.

9. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I just got my 612 HGTS earlier this year. Other than the two 612s I looked at in South FL, I have never seen one before in the wild, no matter where I've been; mine was purchased unseen (but independently inspected) from CA.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed this from someone who spotted me in Charlotte, NC:
    Ferrari 612 spotted in Charlotte, NC, North Carolina on 06/28/2014

The reactions where funny - I was still wearing a Buff Headwear over my head from a work out.

10. alonsomassa79

alonsomassa79 Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    WV
    Full Name:
    vignesh
    612s are great GTs. Truly great esp. for short trips..i will never sell mine. Awaiting the FF in rossa corsa and black roof some day to maybe be its companion.

11. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I think the 612 would be outstanding for long trips, actually.

However, I would not get an FF to go with it, since they have the same mission. I would go for one of its original siblings - 430 or 599. Especially the 430, which is a nice mid-engined compliment and should be available at a good price, due to sheer production numbers.

For a modern Ferrari, the 612 is relatively rare at about 3000 total produced, with 1000 or less in US.

I believe the 612 was also the last model to have the Dino-derived engine.

12. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Seen quite a few 612s in OC, but only time I saw one while in mine was when a fellow F'chatter and I had our cars tinted at the same shop at the same time. Though, that was coordinated. Never seen one in the wild while driving mine.

13. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    Coincidentally, same Argento 612 about a mile from me. Saw it first time after I bought mine. He has some nasty 21" or 22" wheels on it though. It's like an Armani suit with basketball shoes.

Ironically, the prior owner of my car was a music industry mogul, and had similarly grotesque wheels on the car. Fortunately they saved the OEM wheels.

14. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Haha...good one. Can't stand when I see an Fcar like that, any of them.