Acquiring 599 GTO | FerrariChat

Acquiring 599 GTO

Discussion in '612/599' started by tortesq1, Jul 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Was going to order a 15 458 Spider on Saturday and fell hard for a stealth all black (incl. calipers) GTO at Ferrari of LI. Its expensive (for me). Anybody familiar with this particular GTO ? AP is $479,900 and it will sell for very close to AP (which I still think is reasonable). 3 prior owners and approx. 2350 or so miles. The "anti-rosso" color scheme and 3 prior owners doesn't alter my decision to buy. Doesn't have the "original" Classic book but they will order duplicate for me at no charge (not that I care as this isn't as important as a Classic book in 10 or 20 years that is based on a contemporaneous certification). I will get a 1 year powercube warranty included with purchase (no brainer and more important than Classic book). Anybody have any comments on car or are familiar with this specific GTO before I pull the trigger ? As an aside gotta say that the GTO is THE best sounding car ever made for the street. I'm truly amazed at how Ferrari put together a comfortable GT ride on basically a racing car chassis. Seen 288, F40, F50 and Enzo's and nothing sounds as good as the GTO. F12 isn't anywhere near as visceral as the GTO. I think the GTO is just an incredibly underrated understated beast !

2. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Do it!!!!...wish i was in position to buy it...I'd have to sell my boxer and 550 to do it financially ...it is an awesome car

3. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    ++1 Once you drive one, you will be forever hooked...Once you buy one, you will never let it go...
    There is another black GTO at FoNE asking for 499k with around 6k miles. Most GTOs for sale currently with less than 2k miles are asking for 500k or more. Thus, the asking price for this GTO is actually lower than the rest of the pack. Good luck!

4. titanium430isback

titanium430isback Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    know the car very well , it is as clean as it can get, no history

btw when you drive the GTO you wont want a 458

5. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Been driving my 13 458 Italia daily (yes daily) and have approx. 9500 miles on her. I will miss her but after having driven the GTO its just a night and day experience. Candidly I'm a little played out driving the 458 daily. 458 seems very synthetic (a word others have used to describe her) compared to the GTO which seems extremely organic (to adopt another persons characterization). The GTO sound alone is worth the price of admission. Don't know where the market for low volume V12's will be going in 5-10+ years, but with only 125 produced for the US market I see the GTO being a highly sought after beast. I won't drive the GTO more than 1K miles per year and I think I will appreciate her more than the 458.

6. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Titanium430isback - How do you know this car ?

7. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    90k dollars more expensive than the ones u find in Italy but then again the reselling value seems stable and the warranty is important, if it includes all. if u have the money go for it.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    You cant compare to Italy, not only because of the financial and general anti-expensive goods atmosphere in Italy but because the US market is a closed one until cars are 25 years old. So the 599 GTO market in the US is limited to those chassis delivered as US specs. It's a market within a market.

9. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    Please, explain, what do u mean a closed one until they are 25 years old ?

10. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Don't hesitate! It's the best sensation you'll ever have with a modern day Fcar :)

11. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    American buyers can not shop for european or asian or rest of the world specifications cars. They are limited to the US-specs pool of cars which is much smaller than the pool of cars a european buyer will have access to. And that is true for 25 years. You can only bring non-us specs cars into the US market after the car is 25 years or older (unless the model was never sold in the US market and represent a certain significance in terms of technology or history).

12. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    Didnt know that. Ok, thanks for the info.

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Get the car. When the 250 GTO goes off at 80 million this summer all the GTO cars will see a bump up. This car is an awesome shade of black- nero seseto I believe it is.

14. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    I've only had my GTO for a few weeks but WOW!!!! I've been through a lot of cars but never anything like the GTO. I had a Porsche 997 GT2RS which is more rare than the GTO (500 in the world) and it was close. But only close. The sound of the GTO is intoxicating.

My GTO originated in Canada & I bought it in Cleveland. They told me it was only a paperwork thing to get into the States. No changes to the car.

This from the carfax report:

03/21/2014

US Dept of Transportation Blaine,WA

Vehicle imported and declared to meet US highway safety specifications

Bond released on 05/21/2014

15. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    The GTO exterior color is definitely one that I have never seen previously - nero seseto. Its almost graphite looking. I have not seen another GTO in this color scheme although I very much doubt its unique considering they made 599.

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think they made more... but I bet that color is fairly rare. It is a very cool color- its like theres a little silver in there.

17. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    meant to say nero setoso exterior

18. AndrewG2

AndrewG2 Karting

Feb 22, 2013
    Las Vegas NV
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoqDYcCDOTg]Do it! Do it! Do it! - YouTube[/ame]

19. kev360

kev360 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2006
    The last owner of that car bought it through Ferrari Denver. He actually posted a thread here looking for a gto and found that one after a couple days. He hated the paddle shifter and dumped the car in less than a month. He also had Denver add the carbon shields. My understanding was the car is beautiful. Go get it!! Price is pretty reasonable as it is less than msrp (which I heard was $495k or so).

20. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Im guessing Canada's specs arent that different then. Otherwise the US market would be flooded with much cheaper european cars (ex, F12 are readily available in Europe for around $300k.)

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Andrew- Specs on Canadian and US cars are identical except the Canadian ones come with metric gauges and US with English. DOT does not care if the gauges are metric, and some cars are selectable for either.

22. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    kev360,

Thanks for the information. I think the only changes from stock are the carbon shields and the wheel center caps. Both the yellow shields and center caps are easy things to restore to original but I like the look of the car the way it is with the carbon shield/caps. Saw photos of what she looked like when bone stock from the Driving Emotions web ad. Definitely a more sinister look now.