Purchase 599 or 550 !!!!! | FerrariChat

Purchase 599 or 550 !!!!!

Discussion in '612/599' started by Rafael599, Jul 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rafael599

Rafael599 Rookie

Jul 24, 2014
    Central Florida
    #1 Rafael599, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    I know there is a money difference. I can afford the 599, but I am looking for a gran touring car for taking trips. Pro and Cons, please !!!!!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    According to a current thread in the 550 section there are very few available so.....

Another factor is to consider is whether you want a manual transmission

Probably need to drive both !

3. Rafael599

Rafael599 Rookie

Jul 24, 2014
    Central Florida
    I like to drive both transmissions. I currently own both transmissions, but the 550 nor 599 will not be my daily driver. I drive a Audi Q5 daily. Thanks for the post.

4. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    599 is going to be significantly more comfortable for longer trips.

5. Rafael599

Rafael599 Rookie

Jul 24, 2014
    Central Florida
    Why is the 599 more comfortable on longer trips? Ergonomics, suspension, wind noise, etc.

6. edeo

edeo Karting

Apr 6, 2006
    Tough call. I very much liked touring in my 550, but four years ago i traded it in on a brand new 599 that was at FOA. I got carried away at the moment and just wanted a newer car, but i should have kept the 550 as well.
    My 599 has all of the seat options including air bladders. My first comment when I sat in it was that it felt so good it should be a medical expense deduction. I'm an old guy with a fragile back but long trips in the 599 are sheer joy.
    In both cars at interstate speeds you can carry on normal conversation with the windows down. I wasn't even aware of wind noise until passengers commented that there wasn't any.
    As for the F1, I had really wanted a manual, but it turned out very well for me that by 2010 they were no longer offered in the 599.

7. Rafael599

Rafael599 Rookie

Jul 24, 2014
    Central Florida
    Thanks Edeo for your post. I am an old guy as well so your comments are meaningful to me. What is it you miss in owning the 550. Thanks again.

8. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The 599 F1 trans is a whole different experience. I love my F1 on long trips (in a 612) but do get frustrated at the shifting speed if I'm tooling around town.
    I love the 550, but it's a traditionalist drive. If you are a 3 pedal guy, it's great.
    For touring, I really like the way the 599 seems to settle into a long cruise at 80mph.

9. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    Is this even a question ? 599 ! Obey your own nickname !

10. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I know this was not one of your choices, but the 612 was designed for devouring chunks of miles in style. You can also take along 3 friends and luggage. The prices are way below value right now, so could be a good investment as well.

Only 10% have the manual, but the F1 works well and sounds cool too.

Good luck.

If you want a more raw car, go with the 550.

11. Rafael599

Rafael599 Rookie

Jul 24, 2014
    Central Florida
    I only want a two seater, but thanks for the input.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #12 tazandjan, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 550 is prettier, smaller, and way more retro than the 599. The 599 is way faster, has a much more modern interior, cutting edge styling, much better brakes, does not need a cambelt change every 5 years because they have chains, and has conveniences no Maranello ever dreamed about. The 599 will also tend to be more reliable just because it is newer.

Both are great Ferraris. The 550 is at the bottom (or slightly above) of its depreciation curve while the 599 is still on the way down. Not that that would affect my choice if I wanted a 599. Part way in between is the 575M.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    We both have reason to be partial but I think 599 is gorgeous. Always have. Probably helps that I didn't really get involved until 2010.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #14 tazandjan, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bob- The styling on the Maranellos is more feminine and on the 599 is more masculine. Both are attractive. The 19" wheels on the 575M update the look a bit. This particular 575M has Superamerica style paint with no black on the bottom.

15. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've always heard from tifosi that have been around longer that the sheer size of 599 is a bit off putting.

16. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    I can't believe how having the bottom bits colour coded changes the look of the 575.

Regarding the question - if money is not an issue than go for the 599. But either way, you will end up with a great touring car.

17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The 550 has more of an old school "sweetness" to the driving experience- very positive feeling shifter, great feeling throttle, nice analog steering feel etc. But as time has marched on the limits of its suspension are more apparent vs newer cars.

The 599 drives like a mix of V10 BMW M6 and AMG CL. The steering is a little bit aloof like in MBZ (but no where near as bad). The suspension at lower speeds can be crashy in the way the AMG coupe's air system can be. But once you push on the car comes alive. The steering can be better with the HGTE package.

So 599 has higher limits and much more power but loses much of the low speed, old school, goof off character with the 550.

I can speak to both cars from direct personal experience.

My take is the 599 is a better highway cruiser and likely much safer in an accident; the 550 is better for back road fun. However, the 599 can do back roads and the 550 can do highways.

As a GT for taking trips, I'd vote the 599.

18. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    Is there a big difference between the 550 and 575? Would is your opinion between the two?

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ben- That has been discussed in detail in the 456/456M/550/575 forum so you might want to do a search. The 575M fixed many detail problems with the 550, but most of those fixes have already been applied to the 550 by owners. The big difference is all the 550s were three pedals and only about 12% (246 worldwide) were for the 575M. There were also about 50% more 550s built, 3083 to 2064. The 575M has more modern COP ignition, digital throttle, more hp and torque, but seat of the pants dynamometers cannot usually tell the difference. There is a whole thread on Maranello differences and similarities. In all practicality, they drive and feel about the same except for the shift systems. The 550 has a more retro interior, too.

20. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    #20 Camlet1, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    To quote Richard Meaden from EVO magazine's back to back 599 GTB/550 Maranello test....."don't misunderstand me, the 550 has shown its class, but ultimately the fight was even more one-sided than we had imagined. Roomier, more comfortable and better equipped to isolate you from the rigours of urban and long distance driving, the 599 is the consummate GT. And yet when you tap into its latent ability, it delivers spectacular performance coupled with unprecedented exploitability, while exploring its prodigious limits unaided presents as fierce and absorbing a challenge as you could wish for."

I recently sold my GTB as I have a 599 GTO. I had the GTB from new and did 13K miles in her. She was magnificent (and I had her in Silverstone which IMO oozed class). The new owner paid less for it than the cost of a new Audi R8 5.2, for example. A steal!

21. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    #21 BJJ, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    I have both and will keep both.

Both are perfect transcontinental transport on German Autobahn. Both have great topspeed stability and magnificent brakes (the ceramics on the 599 are even better, naturally). Both accommodate long mates like me perfectly. Both are absolutely "spouse compatible", except you do silly driving, but thats not the cars fault.

Of course, the performance of the 599 is superior, everthing else would be strange anyway. In the 550 I love the classic interior (even the odometer has a mechanical display), excellent craftmanship, durability and elegant exterior lines. I somewhat dislike the manual transmission (but definitely would not want to have the contemporary F1), because a fast gearshift is not easily performed. This is disturbing during track days only, however. The 599 has a larger trunk (makes spouse happy), the F1 works fine and swift in the meanwhile, and the series exhaust lets more neighbors participate your early morning rush-off ;o)).

For driving, in particular at steady moderate speeds in the city or on crowded highways, I prefer the 550, because the drive by wire accelerator of the 599 needs permanent perfect control of the right foot at very low counterforces of the pedal. In the 550 all this is still old fashioned mechanics and insofar much more relaxing.

With respect to the build quality, I would tend to vote for the 550, for example the boot trim in the 599 (e.g. at the charger lid) appears somewhat "controler reduced quality".

Great, not to have to make a decision ...

22. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I currently own a 575 but have considered a 599. I drove an '07 599 this week and my impression was three fold. More responsive and a bit more nimble, quicker on the upshift, better brakes. My wife and I found it more comfortable and roomier than the 575. The two are very different cars. The trade difference from this dealer is attractive enough to give me pause.

23. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    I don't know honestly why one should debate tween 550 and 599.

unless he's afraid of expensive difference of mainteinance

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    599 is a great car. But the 550 just has that "ferrari" feel to it. They lost that with the 599. But it boils down to what you like in the end.

25. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    There is something in what you say. Operative term, in the end. I am 70. My Lusso drove like a truck and I went through Lotus Esprits and Porche 928s until getting back to Ferrari with a 360 which wife and I found to be too harsh (our early 60s). We found the 575M much more to our liking for touring. Recently we drove a 599 and it suits us even better than our 575. Age has its preferences.