annoying quality issues 599 GTB | FerrariChat

annoying quality issues 599 GTB

Discussion in '612/599' started by msdes123, Jul 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdes123

msdes123 Rookie

Sep 29, 2013
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark S
    #1 msdes123, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Any advice on how to deal with peeling stickers under the bonnet and the rubber bonnet surround seal is coming away; looks like it was stuck down previously with some double sided tape!

Presume its the heat from the engine. Any advice on any over the counter product I could use to stick these down?

I know problems are all relative when you have a V12 ferrari on your drive and engine/major mechanical parts are all fine but do seem to be having a run of minor quality issues to deal with. Car is only just 5 yrs old and 25000 miles.

Im also just sorting out new set of tyres and have now discovered the soon to be replaced Pirelli P Zero tyres I bought the car with from a main dealer have AM on the side wall, which I presume means these are actually a set of Aston Martin homologated tyres rather than the ferrari specific ones.

Perhaps Im expecting too much??
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Replace the stickers, many of which were metal data plates on earlier Ferraris and look pretty shabby on later Ferraris. That bonnet seal may have used double sided tape from the factory. You can always remove it completely and use a rubber to paint seal adhesive.

3. ddonzella

ddonzella Karting

Jun 2, 2014
    Davie
    Purchase Black 3M weather strip adhesive. Wipe clean the seal. coat each surface lightly, let set up 10 minutes and join together. Problem solved. Tires? Would purchase Michelin Pilot SS tires. 315 size for he rear. Great reasonably priced tires.

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The "AM" means something else. I have AMS on my sidewall and it is definitely not an Aston Martin tire. I think it has something to do with the load rating.

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  6. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I think that peeling stickers under the bonnet is nowhere near as bad as the sticky buttons in the cabin that a lot of people get (including myself). Talk about quality issues ... drives me crazy.

7. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Lot less in the 599 to go bad than the 612. Our cross to bear owning these cars post warranty. Ferrari can get away with it, that, and the stereos. I can deal with it for my 599. Maserati, fahgettaboutit. Never buying another. Not sticky buttons, but piss poor interior materials quality and electronics.

8. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Maserati interior quality is rubbish. Cheap plastics creaking every time you touch them. Even on the center armrest. I sat inside a brand new 2013 Quattroporte when I was looking to replace my BMW 740Li. It was a 45 second decision that the Maserati wasn't gonna cut it.

Having said that ... I find it very annoying when I have to make up excuses for Ferrari every time someone asks me why the stereo buttons are sticky in my car. My wife does an eye roll whenever she hears me trying to explain this to people.

9. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    Same here. And since in teh future they plan to increase maserati selling by a big margin, I see quality decreasing again and again.

10. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Speaking of which ... this was on Jalopnik yesterday:

The Worst Car I've Ever Driven: Maserati Ghibli V6 S

11. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sad, but not to me. I'm still too pissed off to do anything but smirk over this. After all the disappointment, the icing on cake is they throw their own customers under the bus on trade ins. All masers end up at Maserati, whether you trade in at Porsche, MB, what have you. No matter where you shop, they all call the same place for the value and dump it on their doorstep. Mine had a sticker of $138k, sold at $115k which is enticing of course. But then one year later they're quoting $82k trade in. I get first year depreciation is a *****. I do it once in a while. My wife gets new cars because she stays in them and I **** up once in a while and buy myself one. But this was nothing short of epic. I was able to eek out $87k from the local MB dealer on trade in allowance but it's on the local Maser lot now with a CPO on it.

Some of the things wrong wth my Granturismo were just insane. You can't lock the car unless the windows are rolled all the way up or the alarm will go off. This they call normal. The proximity sensors don't stop alarming even after you put it in park, also considered normal. Mic didn't work worth a damn so hands free was useless. Clips kept popping off the rocker panels an they'd get a little out of alignment, give 'em a little kick upon entry or exit. Leather is tissue thin, touch it wth a finger nail and it starts to peel. Ugh. More, but not worth it. Don't buy a Maser. Don't let a friend buy a Maser. Car sounds and looks amazing which just pisses me off even more. I really wanted to love it.

12. msdes123

msdes123 Rookie

Sep 29, 2013
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark S
    and to think I had been toying with the idea of trading in the 599 and my M5 for a maserati granturismo on the basis that it gives the best of both my current cars, engine and performance with real world usable rear seats.

I suppose on this forum I should say that I would trade both in for a 612. Never really took to the car previously from pics but finally saw one in the flesh at a local FOC meet, changed my opinion completely; a really stunning car with great presence. Just not sure as a daily drive on poor UK roads and leaving it at work in the car park etc..plus the same minor quality gremlins I expect. Also there never seems to be many available in the UK for sale, particularly later cars with all the desirable upgrade packages. Cheapest approved used FFs are just outside of my comfort zone at the moment.

13. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Coming from the 599, anything less than an OTO will be a disappointment. I've done a 180 on that now that I know what I'm talking about. I've proven to myself that a 612 can be driven with little clutch wear. But that doesn't mean it's necessarily fun to have to baby it. The superfast is so much nicer. As for the interior of the 612, the leather durability is far and away better in my 612 than the Maserati. MUCH better. That wouldn't give me a moment's concern. I let the kids eat and drink whatever they want in the 612. And as for stickies which would be my only complaint on the 612 interior, it's a Ferrari, fix 'em and forget about them. Maserati isn't a Ferrari and they're trying to be even less exotic. Ferrari gets a pass on some of these for being what it is, IMHO, if that make any sense. A Maserati cannot replace a Ferrari and any other daily driver. Only another Ferrari can do that. OTO or wait another year for FF's to be in the 170k's. They will be.

14. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    OTO is a great car and i love mine but to me is too special to be used as a DD.I'm not convinced you can really have one car to do it all and think your current 599/M5 combo is perfect.

15. spsabga

spsabga Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 16, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I fully agree about the Maseratis, which is a shame, because it could be a great brand if it was done right. At the end of the day, Fiat makes some pretty questionable decisions. I was shocked when I looked at the interior of the FF for the first time and saw the exact same touch screen/ nav panel as in my Grand Cherokee. Now that I think about it, I'm still shocked. If Ferrari starts sharing too many parts with Jeeps and Chryslers, that can't be good.

16. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Afraid the Caliber might start cutting into the FF market? :D Seriously though, after finding a crappy 2-voice and passive inside my F430's $4000 subwoofer enclosure, about $25 in parts, it's a comfort to know they're going with more mainstream units. If I had a NAV unit fail in a new Cali, I'd find it a comfort I could replace it for $800 rather than $8000.

17. chris-w

chris-w Rookie

May 1, 2013
    London
    The stickers on the inside of the door shuts on mine are peeling off too... I would really like to replace them but no idea where to get replacements from!

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Most of them have part numbers on them and if Daniel at Ricambi cannot order them for you try Maranello Classic Parts. I thought most of them were in the parts catalog.

19. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Mark,

Do you know if your car has ever been repainted or been in a wreck? That paint sticker isn't supposed to be down by the engine, it's supposed to be on the hood itself by the fire wall. That also might explain why the front bumper seal has a problem too if someone did reinstall it correctly. Just food for thought.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mark- Good thought. Dealers often repaint the bumpers before showing. Mine were.

21. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That's what bumpers are for.

22. fergusonrs

fergusonrs Rookie

Nov 25, 2008
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ross Scott Ferguson
    You cannot beat Sticky No More for fixing the infuriating problem of sticky switches!

23. msdes123

msdes123 Rookie

Sep 29, 2013
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark S
    I cant believe the car has a hidden wreck history, its only ever been bought/sold and serviced by the main dealer network and I assume buying as an approved used ferrari you are covering yourself against it being a previous insurance write off.

As for previous paint work, not sure but when I consider how much stone chip damage ive acquired in 10000 miles on crap UK roads I cant imagine the previous 16000 miles had acquired so little damage at the point I bought the car without the front bumper having been resprayed at some point during those 16000 miles...as Terry suggests may have happened.

On a slightly separate issue the 599 days may be numbered, cant stop looking at the cheaper 2011/12 approved used FFs, the man maths calculator is coming out very soon, just have to find the right moment to bring the subject up with Mrs S.

24. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    FF is a lot of tech and comfort for the money, no doubt.

25. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Things that annoy me about my 599:

Interior buttons becoming sticky.
    Battery dies after 3 weeks of not driving.
    Parking sensors go off when nothing is around, don't go off when I am getting too close to something.