599 GTO miles | FerrariChat

599 GTO miles

Discussion in '612/599' started by LewSF, Aug 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    What were the miles on your car when purchased? How many miles now and what is the annual rate of miles accumulated?

2. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    I picked mine up last Thursday when it had about 2350 miles on her. Now about to 2400 miles on her. Plan to driver her about 1000 miles per year. She will be driven more now and almost not at all in the winter.

3. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    I was interested in this also. Mine had 4616 when I purchased it. I would hope to put on about 2000 per year. In 5 or 6 years will there be a large difference in value between a car with 15000 miles as opposed to one with 5000 miles? Am I stupid for enjoying it and not worrying about value in the future? If there is a 25,000.00 dollar difference in 5 years who cares. If it is 100,000.00 then have to rethink.

4. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Bought mine with 2100 miles.... just turned 3500 in 2 months, plan to stack em up.

5. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    NICE!!!

6. kev360

kev360 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2006
    First GTO bought with 220 and sold with 1350. GTO I have now bought with 3100 now with 3400.

7. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    I ask because, if I had one, which I've seriously considered, it'd get 15,000 or more miles per year as I drive the heck out of them for sport. But not sure if that is the thing to do with a 599 GTO. However, can't drive it when dead and gone so why not!?

8. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    I say drive the heck out of her. Only caveat is that if you sell her with 50K-100K miles on her after 5-10 years of use you will clearly take a hit in sales price. How much ? Who really knows. Other thing is that most GTO owners seem to have multiple cars. If I will drive mine 1000 miles per year its only because, as an example, I won't drive her in the brutal NY winters as I did with the 458 I just traded in. I'm guessing that the average GTO owner probably will put between 1K-2K miles per year on them due primarily to owning multiple cars more that anything else. That being said, like the 458, I have no doubt that the GTO will be bulletproof and easily withstand 10K-15K miles per year on her with proper maintenance. If you guys in the Bay area (or wherever) have great weather conditions all year round lucky you !

9. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Not stupid. Mileage will definitely count when you sell the car. If resale value is truly of no consequence then pile on mega miles. We all bought the car to drive the heck out of them. I think we all need to find our own happy medium.

10. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    We do have year-round driving weather...except for rainy days.

I'm thinking that miles may not hurt a car that is so exclusive such that only about 120-150 made it to the US. It 10 years they'll still be worth more than they were at purchase....not sure if it will keep up with inflation....but in 20-30 years those who want one at the Pebble Beach auction will just care that its been cared for.

11. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Lewis,

If you drive a 599GTO 15K miles per year for 5 years you will our hero ! That being said, I haven't seen any 288GTO, F40, F50, Enzo's with 100K miles on them (let alone 150K miles). I'd be very impressed to see some higher mileage GTO's. I thought I recall seeing a higher mileage (ie. 50K plus miles) F40 or F50 that had a new engine installed. Maybe others here with some of these cars can chime in.

12. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    For an extra $3,500.00 you could have bought the waterproof version. I think the option code is "NOLEAK"

13. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    Funny!!!! I must say, however, the option I'd want for rainy days is SureTrac tires to ensure that traction at the rear axle is a little more ...sure. It's easy to fishtail in Sport mode the 599 HGTE in the fog wet roads here in SF...with new tires!! I suppose I could dial it to wet mode huh.

14. secretcollector

secretcollector Karting

Aug 4, 2013
    The Motor City
    #14 secretcollector, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    I just want to add, in complete sincerity, that I love Tortesq1. He doesn't know it, but he just acquired my GTO. What a perfect spec!

As with every car, drive it, covet it, just park it - whatever the hell makes you happy with it is the best and only reason to own one.

15. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    secretcollector, just out of curiosity, correct me if I am wrong but did you just purchase your GTO not too long ago? (as I remember in another thread that you were looking for one at that time). I was wondering why you gave it up so soon since it is one car that is considered a keeper definitely by myself as well as most GTO owners here.

16. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Yeah man, that was fast! I hope you don't miss her too much :)

17. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Glad to be the next caretaker. There were 3 prior owners who barely broker her in. She had approx. 2350 miles on her when I acquired her last week. Were you owner #1, #2 or #3 ? What did you acquire instead of the GTO ?

18. secretcollector

secretcollector Karting

Aug 4, 2013
    The Motor City
    I was #3. You are welcome to contact me directly at [email protected] and I can fill you in on any history you might be missing.

I drove the car exactly one time for 22 miles. Not commenting in any way on the car itself, all of you who have driven one know what it is. The paddle shifters weren't for me, that simple.

I have a significant collection of rare Porsche's, wanted to try the GTO. Nothing more or less than that, although it was a very expensive 22 miles! Good for Stephen, though.

19. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Hahaha I think I drove her more than 22 miles since I picked her up last Thursday ! Gotta admit I personally love the spec too and coming off of daily driving a 458 for the last 2 years the "huge" GTO paddles aren't an issue for me. Love Porsche also as I daily drove 911TT's for a decade before getting the 458. The GTO is by far the most visceral car I have ever driven. I'll need to put many more miles on her before I can render my full opinion. Thanks for selling her :)

20. MaxPower

MaxPower Two Time F1 World Champ

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    i've put on over 25,000 kms in just over 2 years ...

bought her to drive her ...

:)

21. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    New delivered with 165 km on the clock in June 2010. As of yesterday 19,357 km and counting. Used on normal roads and track. 19,000 km of passion, fun and big big smiles on my face ;)

22. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    The toughest problem I'm having is going to the paddles. I've owned over 25 3 pedal Porsches since my first in 1979. The last was a GT2RS. Love the GTO but miss the third pedal.

23. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    No you won't. The pedals and the gearbox are phenomenal on the GTO.

24. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    To me the stick, like our youth, is something to remember fondly. There's the good and the bad. I had an 03 996TT X50 6 speed and went through several synchros, bent shift linkages, etc. Thankfully I bought the car new and Porsche stood by the car and its POS tranny (maybe I don't know how to drive a stick). Anyway, I don't miss that at all. Whether your a good driver (or not like me) the F1 style auto tranny is always faster than the stick. Period. There is a reason that all super high end race cars (ie. think F1) employ no 3rd petal. Its faster everywhere, not just on a track. Truth is that although you might pine after your old GT2RS or a GT3 4.0, the future models of those cars will only come from the factory with PDK. I also think that the GTO is an incredibly involving F1 style auto tranny and more fun than say the 458 DCT I just had for the last 2 years. To each there own.