Buying 612S Scaglietti | FerrariChat

Buying 612S Scaglietti

Discussion in '612/599' started by Amore, Aug 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    #1 Amore, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    hey everyone, i am buying 612 Scaglietti 2006, after 2 years of searching till i found one which looks like new from out side and inside, yet not so sure about the engine, attached report which i have from the service and i would like some one to tell me what is the part needed to be replaced from the report as i want to buy them from ricambiamerica .thanks alot
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nothing sounds like a serious problem, other than it appears the car is due for a belt service. If it has never been done, you need to get the timing belt replaced and allow the mechanic to address the other issues at the same time. Unless you plan on doing some of the work yourself, it's best to let the mechanic order the parts. Ricambi is fantastic, ask your mechanic to use them if they already don't.

3. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Congrats.

Curious about the non-standard wheels.

What brand & size are they?

Thanks.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #4 tazandjan, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    In addition, doesn't this car need brakes, sticky switches, headliner, some bushings, might need a clutch soon????
    You're getting a good enough price to make it worth it?

6. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thanks, Taz.

7. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Gawd I love the 599 in Giallo Modena, almost as much as mine.

8. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Looked for two years? Planning on keeping it a good long while?

9. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013

yes the car needs brakes as the old owner told me and belt .I don`t know if clutch needed as in the report i attached i did not see clutch problem.I brought the car for 63000$ hope is good deal ?!!

10. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013

about the non stander wheels they are Mito Rosso , dont know the size yet , but i still have the Orginal wheels .

11. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    just called the service they said the car need Only Fan Belt and the Clutch remaining is 32% . any one know the part number of this 2 items?

12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't know where you are, but $63,000 seems like a very good price. It gives you lots of room to bring the car up to snuff.

13. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    Yes i agree with you , $63,000 is really good price and as i said the car look like brand new inside and outside just i have to change the Fan belt and the clutch . Any idea how much this parts cost?

14. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sum Ting Wong. Price Wa Tu Lo. Get PPI or Bang Ding Ow.

15. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    clutch, belts, brakes, sticky, headliner, bushings, boots, probably something else. $25K to get it sorted? That makes a $90k car.

16. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Tie rods. Leaks.

17. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013

they told Me only Fan belt and Clutch ,the Timing belt is changed ,

i don`t know what you mean by sticky, headliner, bushings, boots Can you explain please :)

18. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    They are referring to your condition report. Those items were listed as "poor".

19. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    +1. LOL!

20. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #20 cls, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    It looks like you're buying the car from a used car dealer, and not a Ferrari dealer. It's priced way under market, and it has many issues noted on the report you received, this adds up to a car that has likely not been properly maintained. On a Ferrari, fixing these issues can be very expensive.

I would take anything a used car dealer tells me with a grain of salt. If your'e able to purchase this car for 30-50% under market value, how much did they pay for it? So what do they know that they're not telling you? If the car was sorted or needed only a couple of minor repairs, the current market value of a 2006 612 is probably more like $100k. Ask yourself, why would they sell you a $100K car for $63,000? They are in the car business, they know what the car is worth, so they're not leaving $37,000 on the table for nothing.

How many miles are on this car?
    edit: just saw it has 28k.

21. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    $63k would be way too low in the US, but maybe they are going for less elsewhere? Does the car have damage history?

22. alonsomassa79

alonsomassa79 Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    WV
    Full Name:
    vignesh
    get PPI from authorized dealer. IF the motor fails after buying you will spend 30 Grand easily fixing it...plus peace of mind.

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Amore- Ricambi has online parts catalogs so you can price the parts yourself. Changing the two auxiliary belts (no fan belt on a 612, fans are electric) should be less than $200 including the belts. The clutch will need changing in a couple of years with the wear shown and, including labor, that will run $5-8K. $63K leaves you a lot of wiggle room, especially if you can make fixing a thing or two part of the deal. Those wheels will look great if refinished. One of the owners here, John, I think, mounted HGTE wheels on his 612 OTO.

24. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Sticky = the buttons inside that control various things on the car are sticky to the touch and have a melted look to them. Common on Ferraris.

Headliner = the piece of fabric or leather above your head. They state it's sagging which means it is hanging down and must be reattached or repaired in some way.

Bushings = rubber pieces that are part of the suspension. These wear over time and should be replaced to keep the suspension working well.

Boots= these are rubber (?) covers that keep dirt and debris away from pieces. These wear out or tear over time and should be replaced.

25. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    Sure everyone asking the price is low, yes where i live Ferrari price are not high as in USA OR EUROPE but the service is extremely high that's why i wanna buy the parts from USA Ricambi but they did not reply my email,the car is absolutely amazing no accident before or damage but need some service .i wrote here as i need advice on service .thanks

i emailed Ricambi but no reply