599 to California | FerrariChat

599 to California

Discussion in '612/599' started by doctorj!, Aug 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Would you trade a 07 599 for a newer Cali? I'm debating it as it seems the Cali might work as a DD and have fewer issues as it's newer. The back seats will come in handy as I have two younger children. Thoughts? Anyone own both or have gone from one to another?

2. Andrew 912

Andrew 912 Karting

Dec 18, 2010
    USA
    Full Name:
    AES
    Go for it if you have a use for it….. I would if the trade will have more benefits to my family. Pro and contra is never ending so you have to look from your stand point.

3. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    No more V12? Will you be cool with that?

4. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    In addition to the 599 could work, but I don't know how happy you'll be replacing the 599 with it. V12 to V8 and the associated loss of performance doesn't sound like a good move IMO.

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    No. I agree the Cali is probably an easier DD to live with because of the transmission and the newer Navi. But, I think there are other cars that are even better DDs than a Ferrari- I want my Ferraris to be special and I think the 599 is just so amazing. I couldn't make the trade. As far as the back seat, its always bothered me that there is no dedicated head rests/ head protection for rear seat occupants. I imagine this is to keep the look cleaner and more like a big 2 seater, but I wouldn't put my kids in one. Thats just me.

6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Depends on what you want. I wouldn't sweat the loss in performance. I think you're looking at a loss of .4 seconds 0-60. I also like the way the Cali corners better than the 599, but they're very different in the way they handle. Regardless, on public roads, you won't get near the capabilities of either car, so drive what you like.
    I just traded my 612 for a Cali, so V12 to V8 is fine by me.

7. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Only a v12 can replace a v12;)

8. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    V8 is not a V12.

California engine also has a WET sump.

Have you considered a 612? More practical than a 599, and nearly as fast. The last of the Dino V12 engines and generally very reliable. It can comfortably carry 4 "normal" sized adults. Right now, they are selling at very favorable prices.

9. ddonzella

ddonzella Karting

Jun 2, 2014
    Davie
    If your children are small then the sad excuse for a back seat in a Cali will work. Stay away from the 2010 if you can. My dealer said there have been issues with the electric top that hadn't been sorted out. If you really want an Italian sporty reasonable DD I would buy the Maserati Gran Turismo Convertible. Fast enough, handles great and has real back seats. I owned two before my 599. They were great eye catching dependable cars! Just my .02 cents.

10. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I just went for the '07 599 instead of the Cali. I still want a Cali, but it would have to be in addition to the v12.

11. HogPilot

HogPilot Karting
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 9, 2014
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Todd Williams
    No way I could trade my 599 for a Cali.

12. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    Just had the opportunity to sit in, but not drive, a Cali-T. Not for me!!! The interior was done nicely. I'm sure the turbos will be great. It just seems a cut under the more aggressive Ferraris we all know and love. Maybe like Daddy's daughters lil Ferrari. And it led me to wonder...what's next? The Ferrari SUV?????

13. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    One can only hope. I'm on my 4th cayenne in 11 years and never sat in a Porsche prior. Couldn't live without my tts or something like it.

Was looking forward to the Maserati suv but won't buy another maser now.

14. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    #14 MarkCollins, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have both 599HGTE (owned 3 599's) and a California 30HS (owned 3 California's well 4 if you count that I bought back my 2nd car!)

California is a great, great car, best alround Ferrari I've owned and driven approx 27k miles, excellent for touring with my wife, extra space on the back seats is useful and it's a pretty fast car, it also feels very stable and is very easy to drive. Slightly more economical than the 599 but don;t expect big gains.

In comparison the 599 is as you'll know a beast, the performance is or at least feels leagues ahead of the California and it's much more a drivers car requiring serious concentration when pressing on, tbh I find the performance of the 599 totally addictive, I've completed circa 24k 599 miles and can't see the current one leaving the stable for a long time

Sum up

if you want a good DD and tourer plus the benefit of small back seats then the California is the obvious choice.

If you want a serious focused drivers car then stick with the 599

Of course the ultimate solution is both :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Mark, that's a great picture with both beasts. Are they Rosso Nuevo? The color on both looks absolutely magical in the sunlight.

16. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Rosso Fiorano Enrico :)

17. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Ive decided against the California for various reasons. Love the Rosso Fiorano!