pre-owned warranty | FerrariChat

pre-owned warranty

Discussion in '612/599' started by agdc, Aug 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. agdc

agdc Rookie

Dec 26, 2012
    Prescott, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Al Caccavale
    Just purchased an 07 599 gtb from Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo. Located the car on the ferrari preowned website. The website indicates that the certified pre owned cars have a 12 month warranty if they are less than 9 years old and less than 60,000 miles. Finance Manager told me at purchase that the car was "pre-certified" meaning the inspection was done and car brought up to standard. Said Ferrari would not warranty the car.
    Is this something new from Ferrari, is the website inaccurate, or something else?

2. themuskymaster

May 10, 2014
    Wheaton, IL
    They told me the same thing on my 612. That the warranty was not available for my car, though the website said yes. A bit of bad code or false advertising.

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would contact Ferrari Corporate and see what they say.

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Why wouldn't they warranty it?
    It's theoretically eligible.

From Ferrari Approved Car Locator

"A Ferrari Approved Certified Pre- Owned vehicle has the reassuring benefit of a 12-month Ferrari coverage. This covers the cost of most parts and labor for major repairs in the unlikely event that a mechanical or electrical failure occurs.

Other than for routine service items such as tires, brake pads and discs, or parts that require replacement due to normal wear or tear, a Ferrari Approved Certified Pre-Owned vehicle has an unlimited mileage, minimum one year coverage. This covers the breakdown and repair costs (excluding wear and tear) for both parts and labor.

The Ferrari Approved Certified Pre-Owned Program encompasses an array of wide ranging checks and factory-supported coverage for cars up to ten years old from date of first registration, to help ensure peace of mind to those who have the opportunity of experiencing the Ferrari legend. "

5. alonsomassa79

alonsomassa79 Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    WV
    Full Name:
    vignesh
    its extra money dealers pay to ferrari, basically for a one year power-train warranty. if you shelve the extra cost (anywhere betwn 5-7k) the ferrari certified eligible car would become certified. You are right, a sales gimmick. The more expensive cars in 250k plus categories have this added on at no extra cost usually.

6. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    Well it's pretty easy, if they do not give u the warranty, do not purchase the car...

unless the price is too good to be true. Which never is, since u found it in the website.

7. agdc

agdc Rookie

Dec 26, 2012
    Prescott, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Al Caccavale
    Actually, I was going to be paying the warranty. It was supposedly $6200 per year for a max of 2 years. Ron Tonkin is a pretty reputable dealership from all I can see on this website. The car was a low mileage car pretty well optioned black with cuio interior. The car fax seemed ok and I was paying a good price for it.

8. alonsomassa79

alonsomassa79 Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    WV
    Full Name:
    vignesh
    ask them why they dont want to do it, seems weird. anyhow the warranty is offered by ferrari only for making money for themselves. If you think car is good and ppi turns out fine, i would get it. Very very unlikely the powertrain would have a major issue..i had turned it down too in the end.

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #9 tazandjan, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There may be something in the car's history that disqualifies it. Here are the requirements for a warranty, which are pretty strict. Not sure how many Ferraris have a fully filled out warranty book, which would indicate all service done at a dealership, most likely. Aftermarket exhaust would rule one out, too.

Warranty Extension Certification List
    The undersigned Head Technician of the dealership declares to have carried out the required inspections of
    the vehicle, and that the state of the components listed allows the vehicle to be covered by the used vehicle
    Warranty Extension program.
    Technical checklist
    Inspection list
    The following operations must be certified on the basis of your inspection:
    1. Fulfilment of regular ordinary maintenance check-ups as outlined in the vehicle instruction manual.
    2. Absence of any fluid leaks (oil, water, gasoline, etc.).
    3. No errors or malfunctions in the electric/electronic devices for system management (power unit,
    suspensions, brakes, etc.) or in the safety devices (airbag, alarm system, etc.).
    4. Vehicle conformity: wheel rims, tires, suspensions, bodywork, exhaust, aerodynamic profiles, etc.,
    as standard components.
    5. Presence of spare key, remote controls, tool kit, Owner’s manual and fully completed Warranty and
    Service Booklet.
    The Warranty Extension program covers the same components as the New Vehicle Limited Warranty
    Full Name of the Technician:
    ………………………………………………………………………………..…
    Date:
    ____/____/______
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. F12Berlinetta

F12Berlinetta Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    As stated by others above, you really should contact Ferrari Corporate to clarify or, if necessary, dispute this issue. I'm on the fence at the moment trying to figure out whether to purchase a one year warranty extension, the cost of which is $8,700 (I'm told I would obtain preferred pricing implying a small discount) for 12-cylinder Ferraris. That is a considerable amount of money that I'd assume would have been embedded in the quoted price of your 599 and is a benefit you are not receiving. If Terry is right, and there might be an issue that disqualifies the car from coverage, you'd certainly entitled to know that too.

11. agdc

agdc Rookie

Dec 26, 2012
    Prescott, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Al Caccavale
    Thanks everyone for your input. I did contact Ferrari corporate and they responded promptly. I also spoke with the sales manager and then the service manager at Ron Tonkin. Turns out, Ferrari had changed the warranty about a month ago. The car did qualify for the warranty. However, there was a pre purchase inspection that was required prior to the warranty being issued. It included a compression check and check of all mechanical and electrical systems. I paid the cost of that inspection which was very reasonable. The car passed with the exception of a computer error dealing with the windows. This was corrected and tested multiple times. All this happened because the people at RTGT went out of their way researching the problem with the warranty.
    They were excellent. Got a note back from Ferrari corporate, seems that August is vacation month at corporate!

Question: Having done the inspection would you pay almost $6k for the one year warranty?

12. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    It was announced back in April - I guess its the usual story of salesmen not reading their corporate emails.....(or Fchat for that matter !)