612: Stripes, Painted Scallops, and other unorthodox finishes | FerrariChat

612: Stripes, Painted Scallops, and other unorthodox finishes

Discussion in '612/599' started by southnc, Aug 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #1 southnc, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We've seen all kinds of interesting color schemes on mid-engine and 2-Seater GT Ferraris. In many cases, I think it adds great interest to the car.

But, what about the 2+2? In particular the 612.

Considering all the unique aspects of the 612 body design, you would think it would present an interesting canvas. However, virtually all 612s are mono color, except for the Sessana (below).

Over the next few posts, I'm gonna show you some interesting variations I got from scouring the internet. Would be interested to see your opinions, or if you think anything beyond a single color is pure heresy. :)

Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #5 southnc, Aug 20, 2014
  3. HORNETDRIVER

HORNETDRIVER Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    TX
    I can press the "I believe" button on the stripes, but the multi-color.... Ugggh.

I threw up in my mouth a bit.

JMHO

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I wouldn't do any of those things to my car, but to each his own. As long as you like your car, that's all that counts.

As an aside, I bet some of those cars have a lowered resale value.

5. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I like them all.

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    See! I told you to each his own! :D

7. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    612 is a ****ing beast. There's no reason it has to be relegated to being elegant and low profile. I think it looks great with a stripe or the side scallops accented or a two tone paint job. It's a front engine v12 ferrari for goodness sake.

8. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    I like the center stripes. But the rest is just too much imho

9. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Keep in mind, I supposed you can always wrap the car, which is less of risk, since the original paint remains intact.

10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm pretty sure a couple of these are indeed wraps, the matte black and pearl white.

11. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Agreed.

I'm thinking the following were wrapped:
    -Matte Black with Gloss Black Stripes
    -Matte Black with Silver Scallops
    -Pearl White with Black Accent Stripes

12. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    the matt black with gloss black stripes looks great and i am strangely drawn to first car with the 250Tdf look...

13. dc348

dc348 Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Luckily back in HK
    Full Name:
    DC
    Agreed. Me either.

14. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
  15. Rich.Organic

Rich.Organic Karting

Apr 11, 2013
    Caribbean
    Looks pretty awesome in Matt Black, elevates it to more of the beast...

Went to the dealer yesterday; no 612 but two FF's - one used, one new. Holy smokes are they nice. Deeply tempted to consider it, but 660 bhp means I fear I would be in deep trouble...

Of note I went to the MB dealer afterwards and the salesman showed me a new CL. I have to say when the salesman at MB heard I was not buying today he treated me in a way that made me love to buy an F.

What is it with salesman who give you attitude when you are contemplating a 125k purchase? He could see my immaculate CL outside?

Just pissed me off. Whereas Ferrari treated me great even though the first day I went in there I looked like a man just released from jail. But as we discussed the car you could see the salesman at Ferrari understood I knew as much if not more about the cars than them. He followed up with e mails, calls. He was professional, courteous and impressive.

The guy at MB, well, if it was my business I'd have fired him.

So even if I get another CL I will ask Ferrari to find me one.

What a difference, and so impressed with the whole Ferrari / Maserati experience.

Next question, can I customize it to 17" or 18" wheels on a 612 (or FF)?

There is a very good reason for this as I want higher profile tires to give me less road noise. I don't mind replacing the calipers with smaller ones to make it possible; the questions is - is it possible?

(I have 16" on my CL and with Michelins - it runs so quiet)

16. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I think the base gen 1 612 came with 18 upfront and 19 in the rear. HGTS models have 19 all around. At highways speeds, it is plenty quiet for a powerful GT car. Tires are P Zeros.

Any 612 with CCM brakes would probably need at least 19" wheels. OTO cars have 20 wheels, I believe.

17. Rich.Organic

Rich.Organic Karting

Apr 11, 2013
    Caribbean
    Thanks, much appreciated.

I have unusual reasons why I'd be prepared to spend money to get down to 17" if possible.

Do you think it's possible?

That being said I've not driven the 612 yet, so you may be right it's quiet enough in terms of road noise... but I just drive the new Maserati QP and, purely in terms of road noise, that was too loud for me.

18. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    The white single and double stripes aren't bad. But you need the right wheels to set of the more sporty tone you are going for. Great find on the pics.

19. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    The 612 is a loud car inside, not well insulated to road noise IMHO regardless of tires. My Cali is quieter... I seriously doubt you can go less than 18" anyway.

20. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Wow, I've always thought of the 612 as being quiet. Just used to noisier cars I guess.

21. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #24 southnc, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    I agree about the wheels - do not go smaller than 18" wheels.

Let's see - I hear 70% of California buyers are first time F-Car owners. So, I suspect many may not be used to the glorious sound (not noise) of a serious sports cars. So, yes, I would expect 612 (and all other Ferraris) to be louder than the CA, which is aimed at a very different market than traditional Ferraris.

You also have to remember that 612s equipped with the sport exhaust (HGTS / HGTC, OTO) will definitely produced a more fierce sound, by design, for anything but cruising.

However, overall, I find the 612 relatively "quiet" in 6th gear on the open highway. During more serious missions, it produces a very nice sound expected of a proper Ferrari. Especially those equipped with the sport exhaust.

Compare to the 328 and 512 BBi I used to own, the 612 is whisper quiet at cruise.

YMMV

22. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    #25 GHG, Aug 22, 2014