Transmission failure warning light is on | FerrariChat

Transmission failure warning light is on

Discussion in '612/599' started by Amore, Aug 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    hi , i have problem , i was driving on "d AUTO" suddenly the gear goes to "N" and i get """Transmission failure warning light is on and says to drive slowly to nearest dealer" the warning disappear in 2 seconds ""it happened like 10 times, then i said i will Drive "manual" all was perfect for 20 minutes, till it started again on "manual" the gear goes to "N" i get the same warning Transmission failure warning light is on and says to drive slowly to nearest dealer. please advice.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Based on your previous posts your clutch could now be gone - it needs to be cheked properly

3. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013

cant be clutch sensor ? hope nothing serious.thanks

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Impossible to diagnose on the internet. Go to someone competent with an SD3 or equivalent and have them see what the problem is.

Neutral is the F1 system's safety feature whenever there is something wrong with the F1 system or clutch. It does that to prevent you getting stuck in an intersection in gear with no way to move her. The list of things that will cause her to go to neutral is very long, so we would just be blowing hot air trying to tell you what is wrong.

If it happened to be a clutch position sensor (odds are it is not, just mathematically), you have to remove the clutch at any rate to replace the sensor, so might as well replace the entire clutch and related parts while in there.

With any luck it will be something inexpensive like the system needing bleeding. Only way to know is to have an expert you trust diagnose the problem.

5. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013

thanks. I take the car for service and for full check ,and they will tell me by tomorrow what is the problem.

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree with Terry. It could also be a computer glitch- I had this happen in my 599 and it was a rock that took out a parking sensor- car went nuts with errors- then they'd go away- and then come back again. Best move would be to get that car flat bedded to the dealer and diagnosed.

7. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013
  8. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    how many miles did ur 612 go before this problem ?

9. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    I brought the car 10 days back,the car 28000 Km . when i drive more the 20KM the problem starts. they told me today at the service that i have to change COMPLETE CLUTCH kit and they told me to change the Sensor too.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #10 tazandjan, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That clutch position sensor is way too early a part number. There was actually a recall on the 612 to put in a better clutch position sensor. I would replace the throw-out bearing, too, if the clutch needs replacing. They get used a bunch on F1 Ferraris. You do not want to go in there again.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. momiji

momiji Karting

Dec 30, 2010
    UK
    Does anyone know whether a recall for the 612 clutch sensor was issued by Ferrari in other countries? (presumably they should have done so as soon as they became aware of the problem). I have a 2005 series UK car - have had no clutch problems, but don't see any records from the previous ownership that a recall was made.

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Welcome to Ferrari Chat. Based on this quote from the recall bulletin, the problem occurred in all 612s through part of CY 2007. The serial number range in the bulletin was only for US 612s.

The supplier has informed Ferrari S.p.A that the clutch sensor that was
    manufactured for the F1 transmission does not meet the material specification mandated
    by Ferrari S.p.A.

Amore- Just noticed that is not a clutch position sensor, but another sensor that is way less expensive. Do you have a 599 or a 612?

13. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There may not be paperwork but if it concerns you have any franchise dealer or FNE check the VIN to see if any recalls are outstanding

14. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    #14 Amore, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    i have 612 2006model Vin ZFFAY54B000143295. and if iam changing clutch i dont mind change other important thing with it.

15. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    saw the PDF file, The affected vehicles consist of all Model Year 2005 – 2007 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti with

F1 transmissions in the VIN range: ZFFAA54A050136719 to ZFFJB54A780157391

but what is the sensor part number which have to be replaced.

16. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    just got an email for the service saying ..
    We have Investigated gearbox fault and tire pressure fault and found Gear change potentiometer is faulty which has to be replace.

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That is really good news because that potentiometer is not that expensive. Consider yourself lucky.

18. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    here the service is so expansive even it is not Ferrari dealer ,

only for Investigate gearbox fault 330$ :)

19. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    #19 Amore, Nov 20, 2014
    Hey everyone ,since i brought my 612 i have one problem with the car and i have change all this parts and still i have the same warning time to time.today i had this warning while the car was on parking not moving on N of course working mode about 20 min.

any help please ?!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Should be a 1-2 year warranty on all the work they did and all the parts replaced.

21. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    2 times they could not fix this warring and i wont go there again. hope i can find an answer here.

22. Amore

Amore Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    #22 Amore, Nov 20, 2014
  23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You will go broke trying to change parts to fix an F1 problem when you do not really know what it is.

24. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Get it to someone with necessary equipment and skills... hope won't fix it.

25. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    Are there more 612 owners who experienced similar Problems?
    Mine tends not to shift down when it is driven a bit more hard (and gets warmer)

Did this recall also happen to non-US cars?

Potentiometer - anyone know what it takes to exchange it?