599 windshield replacement | FerrariChat

599 windshield replacement

Discussion in '612/599' started by jvecchi, Aug 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    I was out in the 599 today and took a rock to the right lower corner of the windshield right past the end of the wiper. I now have about 6" long crack from the corner out towards the center of the windshield. I'll call my insurance company tomorrow about replacing it. My question: should I let their windshield people do it, or insist it goes to a dealer? The problem with using a dealer is that it means I have to ship the car about 300 miles, probably at my expense. I have had the insurance company's people repair and replace windshields for me in the past, and they did a great job. Any suggestions?

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Personally I wouldn't let the dealer do it, if they even do it. They probably farm it out and then you don't know who's doing it.

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    This ^

4. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Update: my insurance company, Erie, contracts Safelite Glass to do all of their glass work. They've done chip repairs on several of my other cars before, including a windshield replacement on my wife's car, but in all of those cases the cars were 'pedestrian' and not in the Ferrari league. Anyway, the repairman is due to come in the morning to determine if it is repairable or if needs to be replaced. If it needs replaced, we'll see if there are any windshields available. The fellow I talked to today said that Safelite didn't have any in their warehouse, but I didn't expect them to. I'm having nightmares just thinking about how difficult it may be to find one.

5. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    the dealers have windshields or can get them from warehouse. They are $$$, but they can get them without too much trouble usually.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  7. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Thanks Taz. I've passed this along to the Safelite people. The windshield does need replaced - the crack grew overnight to almost a foot long. :( My garage is air conditioned and stays pretty stable, so I was a bit surprised by that.

8. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    It's a little known act that windshields are a "stressed" structural component of unibody cars. There are a lot of forces acting on it. Even a slight bend or dip in your garage floor will be placing flex stress on the cars structure and consequently the windshield.

9. D16RR

D16RR Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Drew
    My 599 windshield cracked last year.

I can say this...I had mine done at the dealer, they had to remove the dash as well as the trim pieces on the outside of the car to correctly change the glass. My understanding is that the trim can not be reused once it is pulled.

I do not believe any 3rd party windshield company would be able to competently replace your glass correctly. When I discussed the issue with my dealer, the amount of effort required to replace the glass was intense.

All in all, was an $8000 repair. I was so thankful that Florida has a mandatory $0.00 deductible windshield policy for the insurance companies and they cant raise our rates if we make a claim.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Drew- Affirmative, both the 575M and 612 WSMs show the dash must be removed to replace the windshield. Do not have a 599 WSM, but assume it shows the same thing. Safelite cannot do that. At least, I would not trust them to do that. At the least, they need dealer or independent tech support.

11. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    Eight thousand bucks to replace a windshield???? Good gosh….perhaps I'll sell mine now!!!!

12. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
  13. D16RR

D16RR Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Bugatti Veyron windshield replacement is $40k if I remember correctly.

14. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Thanks for this info. I'm going to put in a call to Safelite and discuss this with them. Sounds like a dealer job to me.

15. D16RR

D16RR Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Drew
    From what I remember, nobody makes an aftermarket windshield for the 599, so Safelite or your insurance company would be forced to used OEM glass. The interesting thing is that I do not believe any dealer would sell the windshield to a glass repair company. My insurance company called several dealers and they all refused to sell just the glass. When I dropped the car off at the dealer, they told the insurance company to send out an adjuster so they could see all the work that is involved to fix the windshield. Within a few hours the insurance company called me and said it would be repaired by the dealership.

16. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    'both the 575M and 612 WSMs show the dash must be removed to replace the windshield.'

it may show that but i just had the windshield on my 575 replaced at FoSV (who subs it out) and they did not remove the dash.

$2900 for the glass/$2900 for the gasket (aluminum/rubber)labor/taxes put it close to $7K

17. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    I talked with Algar Ferrari this morning and was told the dash didn't need removed, but I still may send it to them, as I'm getting more and more uncomfortable with having Safelite do it. The Safelite tech is supposed to come over next week and take a look at the job before making a decision as to whether he wants to give it try.

18. ddonzella

ddonzella Karting

Jun 2, 2014
    Davie
    Safelite is bonded and insured but they might not choose to do the job. It's not main stream enough for their window techs to have experience in. In the outer most chance that they do have a skilled technician, I would at least get an estimate (using Ferrari glass). Won't hurt to know your options.

19. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Thanks for all the input. I've made arrangements to ship the car to Algar Ferrari to have the replacement installed. I needed to get some 'dealer only' work done anyway, so I'll have that done while it's there.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The WSMs are often ultra-conservative, so good to know the job can be done without removing the dash.