What's a good price for 599 Challenge wheels? | FerrariChat

What's a good price for 599 Challenge wheels?

Discussion in '612/599' started by trygve11, Aug 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Wondering what "good" price is very just "reasonable". Or what band is decent.

What about price with rims with tires? In very, very good condition.

Thanks for your input.

2. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Also, are there comparable Ferrari OEM wheels to consider in 20" for the car?

I was thinking of using the stock 19's for snow tires and getting the Challenge rims for summer. Is that crazy? I do drive my 2007 Maserati QP in the winter and it does very well.

One other thought or question, I assume my Maserati rims would work on the 612, right? Tires and everything are the same and same manufacturer. Anyone know for sure? A lot of shared parts and technology between the two cars I've found...

3. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #3 ar4me, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It has been some time since I looked for and bought my set of challenge wheels for my 612. Note that there are "regular" and ball polished versions. Personally, I don't like the ball polished look and specifically wanted the "regular" 599 challenge wheel, but people often want a tad more for them. Also, price may depend on whether they include TPS sensors and center caps, and perhaps whether tires have life left in them. Though, you should be able to get a set around $4k with some patience (maybe a tad less with some luck), but you may have to add TPS sensors and/or center caps and/or tires.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
  5. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Someone is asking $6K shipped on ebay. Tires are PZEROS with a supposed 95% tire life left. They are the wider 599 version. Painted (which is what I'd prefer). Includes center caps, NO TPMS, and shipping.

Still seemed high. They don't seem willing to budge.

Are these wheels periodically readily available? I have my car in a million pieces right now and might just prefer to wait until the damned thing actually runs!

Also, is it better to the the 11" rears on the 612 or the 10" rears?

Thanks all for your thoughts.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chris at Exoticar usually has sets in stock for around $4500. With tires and all the goodies, they are obviously more.

GTO and HGTE wheels fit 599s fine. GTO wheels are actually affordable, but still nearly twice the cost of used monolithic/Challenge wheels. 458 wheels are too narrow.

Incidentally, only your front wheels are 19". All the rears are 20". Good idea on winter tires, which make a 599 manageable in all weather conditions.

Exoticar Auto Inc.
    Christopher Knoppe
    Phone # 727-430-3997
    Email: [email protected]

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Actually Taz you want to put on the narrowest wheels, and consequently tires, possible when using snows. You want the smallest possible contact patch so that it maximizes psi. That will give the best possible traction on snow and ice, and minimize the rolling resistance through heavy snow. The other benefit is the higher profile gives a little better cushion against potholes.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Paul- Those are the narrowest wheels that fit a 599, 8Jx19 F and 11Jx20 R. I would not put anything narrower than OEM, winter tires or not.

What I said was that his OEM original pentagram wheels would be good for winter tires. Ferrari recommends 245/40 19 and 305/35 20 winter tires, so a bit higher profile in front than summer 245/35 fronts.

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #9 Nospinzone, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    Ah, you know what confused me, I thought he was talking about putting them on his 612, which will take OEM 19" wheels. Now I read the title to the thread, never mind!

Although, my post about getting the narrowest tires still applies. And getting the narrowest wheel permissible with the narrowest tire permissible is the best option for snow tires.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Paul- I did that the other day and finally had to ask someone if he had a 612 or 599, since many do not have their profiles complete.

11. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    Do the F12 wheels (front wheels 20x9.5,rear wheels 20x11.5) fit on the 612?

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Andrew- They will fit a 599, but I am not sure whether they will fit a 612. Someone would have to do a fit test. Fronts are very wide, rears would probably be ok. You would have to go to wider tires front and rear if they fit. GTO size tires would be about right. 285/30 20 and 315/35 20. Those are really wide up front compared to OEM.

13. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    F12 oem sizes are 255 in front and 315 on the rears.

14. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    Yeah, I figured the rears would work but wasn't sure about the fronts. But to speak on the actual thread topic.... I have the 599 Challenge wheels on my car and am VERY happy. Completely transforms the look of the 612. As for price, I have seen a couple sets listed and sold by EXOTICAR and he always has the best prices on EBay/Net.

15. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    It looks like Eurospares is selling the 599 Challenge rims (if bought individually) for about $1000 a wheel right now. Not bad! I have an inquiry in on shipping costs!

How is the ride quality of the 599 rims on the 612? Any issues with 20" wheels being too rough? What tires are you running on them? PZEROs wear so damn fast that I am inclined to go with something else. I've actually run Sumitomo's on my 2007 QP and have been quite happy with them. A lot less money too.

Thoughts? Thanks.

16. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    #16 trygve11, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    Ahh, looks like very few tire manufacturers make matching sets for the 599 wheels. Pirelli and Michelin for certain. Not sure who else.

17. TonyGT3

TonyGT3 Rookie

Sep 29, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony D
    Mich Super Sports get great reviews from a large number of users and Tire Rack's evaluators. I have used them for a couple of years on a 911. Drip grip is excellent. Thread wear is excellent. Wet traction is also excellent. And they are priced attractively.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tony- Affirmative, and they are priced very low, too, compared to comparable Pirellis. Just put a set on my 575M: big difference in ride, handling, wear and noise. Cannot ask for more than that.