LED DRL on 599 or 612 | FerrariChat

LED DRL on 599 or 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by southnc, Aug 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #1 southnc, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm curious if anyone has attempted to add those cool LED Daylight Running Lights (DRLs) on previous generation F-Cars, such as 599 or 612.

I'm seen some attempts to put a simple line of them in the air intake openings near the bottom-front of the cars; but, this picture is by far the most interesting attempt - modifying the front light assembly on a 612 (also appears to have the IMOLA body kit).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    Interesting.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Several of the V8 owners have done that and more. Try a search in the 360/430 forum.

4. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thanks, Taz.

However, I'm also curious of how owners in this forum feel about this type of mod.

5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't care for it.

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Strange, I was thinking about this yesterday.
    I did a search for LED front lights on a 599 and came up with nothing.

I then read the hand book to see how to change the front side light [ marker light in the book] to an led one. That was as far as i got, as it said i needed to take a panel off inside the wheel arch to get to the bulb to see what type it was, then i was planning to do a search to see if someone makes an led replacement. This seemed like the least expensive option.

7. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    #7 1mean3, Sep 1, 2014
    I did the same search. Here is the lamp list that was posted on this site. Getting to the lamps will be the chore. I'd like to replace the running lamps with a cooler temp LED (3500-4000k) they appear to yellow now.

8. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I think it would be worth attempting IF it can be done correctly without disturbing the car's looks.

In addition to looking cooler, LEDs also improve safety on those 2-lane roads.

9. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #9 Wheels1, Sep 11, 2014
    I have just bought these H6W (bax9s) 433C 30*1210 SMD CANBUS HIGH POWER LED - WHITE (2pcs) | eBay

The bulb on the left has been changed and the one on right is the old bulb. with my old phone camera sorry.

Easy to fit, but even though they claim to not show up a bulb failure warning they do! The waning on the dash comes up quite large for a few seconds than goes to a small symbol. I have not driven the car to see if it keeps coming up [ large] as you are going along as yet.
    They do make a big difference though, much whiter.

10. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    What's the best way to access these lamps? I'm having a hard time figuring it out

11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Under the wheel arch there is a panel.
    Remove the panel bolts with a small spanner [ wrench in USA speak] , it might be 10mm from memory.
    Once the panel is removed, reach into it with your fingers and remove the bulb holder with the bulb still in.
    You do not have to take the wheel off to do this.

The hard part is getting the panel back in place and doing up the first bolt i found. I hope this is right it was a while ago that i did it.

12. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I like the look of that 612. Nice modification!

13. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Adam: you need that body kit bro. Looks sick!

14. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I believe it is an Imola Racing body kit. Probably expensive as hell.

15. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Beautiful Scag -- love the lights and the body kit is indeed sick!

16. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    #16 Roupin, Mar 9, 2015
    I have similar LED lights in mine. Although I bought one with a CREE LED projector so it lights up more of the light strip (think of it like a mini flashlight). From far away at night it looks almost like a solid LED strip.

Turning the front wheels away from you greatly helps reach the access panel.

Pic of bulb...

17. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012
    Where did you find that lamp? What color temp did you go with?

18. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Ebay, 6000k to match the headlights since I'll be swapping those to 6000k as well.

Make sure you look for offset H6W bulbs as the pins are 120 degrees.

Only issue with my particular bulbs is they did throw an error code even though they were supposed to be error free. Ferrari requires a higher resistance than other makes, so I'll be adding plug-and-play inline resistors when I have the time to look for them.

There was a company who custom makes bulbs, but when I mentioned Ferrari they went quiet. People seem to get nervous around these cars.

19. nakrulz

nakrulz Rookie

Dec 18, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wilson
  20. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    An Al&Ed's just opened up in my area. I have it in mind to swing by this weekend, either to have them make in-line resistors or to replace the bulbs with LED strips if they are bright enough. Will update soon.

The Ebay ones all seem to throw error codes. I had a vendor explain it to me...all I got out of it is these Ferraris require a higher resistance than the standard error-cancelling resistors they come with.

21. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    I like the 599 and 612 just as they are. Period correct, as they were designed and meant to be. Adding the LEDs changes the design, and not in a good way to me. It feels to me like the owner is trying too hard to turn their car into a more modern one. If that's the case, buy a more modern car where it looks as it was intended. It's not quite as bad as folks who do things like put BMW M badges on obvious non-M cars, but close lol. Just my opinion

22. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    It's not to modernize the car, it's to match the lighting colors. Piss yellow parking lights look weird next to the oem xenons. Nothing wrong with color matching everything.

Ray Smith likes this.
  23. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    I agree with you.

However, I believe KY_Soldier was speaking about changing more than only the bulbs - refer to the first picture of this thread.

24. Premier Performance

Jul 19, 2012
    UK
    Does anyone know if these headlights are available too buy?

25. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    It looks like they modified the existing light assembly, rather than producing it.

Since the body kit appears to be by IMOLA, you might want to contact them to see if they can answer your question or direct you to someone who can.