612 trunk I unlock and it opens closes most times | FerrariChat

612 trunk I unlock and it opens closes most times

Discussion in '612/599' started by f40carlo, Sep 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f40carlo

f40carlo Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2005
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    When I press unlock on my 612 trunk/boot it unlocks and immediately closes. Occasionally it stays open. Annoying to the nth degree. Solutions? HELP. Txs in advance. F40carlo

2. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Put one of those circular "bottom of the chair leg" sticky on one side, 1/4" thick, 3/4" diameter pads on the pop up cylinder to the right of the latch in the trunk. It will ensure the trank pops up enough when released.

May also want to clean and lube (with silicon) the seal for the trunk. It may be getting adhered to the trunk itself and pulling it back too close to the latch.

3. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    Mine does that sometimes as well. I told Ferrari last week when I brought it in for the new window switch, I'm not sure what they did but it hasn't happened again since. I know they didn't replace anything because it wasn't on my bill.

4. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    they all do that. LMAO

5. cmcquaigue

cmcquaigue Rookie

Jun 7, 2014
    Guernsey, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris McQuaigue
    Ironically I lightly hold it down when it does that and it seems to pop open better :)

6. TonyGT3

TonyGT3 Rookie

Sep 29, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony D
    I have the same problem with my trunk, so it's clear that it's systemic to 612's and not an issue unique to a particular car.

Does Ferrari issue bulletins to their dealers that describe common problems and the factory's suggested remedies? Can someone share that bulletin reference number if one exists?

At the Aston Martin Owners Club forum, these bulletin numbers were openly shared, helping fellow car owners understand the cause of the problem and the solution.

7. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    Ditto for my 612, although it doesn't happen all the time. Very annoying.

8. TonyGT3

TonyGT3 Rookie

Sep 29, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony D
    Dealership provided a fix - free of charge. I haven't used the trunk since, so not certain the fix is permanent. I was instructed to not let trunk lid land hard, otherwise, the problem will return.

One issue is that the truck lid shocks do not support the lid, and ideally, should be replaced.

Not certain what they did, otherwise, I would share the info. But given that there was no charge, I don't think it required much time.

9. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    The maserati qp has the same exact problem. Do exactly what Jason says and your problem will be gone.