dash repair advice - leather or Alcantara? | FerrariChat

dash repair advice - leather or Alcantara?

Discussion in '612/599' started by jvecchi, Sep 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    My 599 is going in the shop next week to have the windshield replaced, and for some other maintenance performed while it's in. The dash pad is showing some slight shrinkage, mostly between the defroster vent and the windshield, and the airbag cover is wrinkled. The car has a tan interior with the CF dash panel and a tan insert in the headliner. The dash pad, A and B pillars, and the roof surround of the headliner are black leather. I'm thinking that if I choose to have the dash panel recovered, maybe I should have it done in black Alcantara rather than leather so I don't have to deal with shrinkage again in the future. Any advice from the tifosi?

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would have it done in the original leather, otherwise when you enter it in a concours event they'll deduct points for the alcantara! :D

But seriously I would stick with the leather myself.

3. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Please don't! The GTB is one of the world's greatest GTs. Leather is its perfect complement.

4. Wantochamole

Wantochamole Karting

Apr 4, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Phil W.
    I replaced the black leather dash on my former 599 with black leather from an amazing shop. They did it right and I never had any issues after.

5. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I would stick with leather for sure, just done right this time.

6. ajyiii

ajyiii Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew Y
    Wantochamole - Was the shop you used for the dash local here in Chicago?

7. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    If you aren't worried about concours, Black Alcantara will also eliminate the leather dash reflection in the windshield.

8. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Top of the dash is the only place I'd have alcantara for this reason.

9. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    I don't show the car - I drive it. I can't say that I've had any major issues with reflections off the leather, but I do notice it to a degree. That's another reason I was thinking about using Alcantara.

Regarding hurting resale value, by the time I sell or trade this car it's going to have enough miles on it (about 17,000 already at this point) that the mileage will be the real issue with it's value. I doubt the dash cover material will make any difference. I'm certainly open to hearing dissenting opinions.

10. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    With regards to resale point of view, I wouldn't buy a car with alcantara dash at any mileage and I'm sure that I'm not the only one so the pool of potential buyers will likely be smaller.

11. Wantochamole

Wantochamole Karting

Apr 4, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Phil W.
    Yes, Ogden Top & Trim. Best of the best.

12. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Alcantara would look a little odd but every Ferrari has a slightly different interior. If you like it go for it.

13. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Currently the car has made to the dealer for the windshield replacement and other repairs. I'm waiting for an estimate on the dash cover repair; once I get that, I'll decide what I want to do. That said, I guess I'm leaning towards leather if I decide to pull the trigger.

14. blazing928s4

blazing928s4 Rookie

Mar 8, 2013
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Nigel H-A
    On my 928, I replaced the pod cover with Alcantara as I hated the reflection on the screen, but the rest of the dash is leather. Totally different price points & markets!!
    I would feel that any future 612 owner would prefer original leather, even though Alcantara graces many a competition cars dash.

15. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    This. Perhaps the rear parcel shelf as well, since it gets the sunlight from the other end.

16. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    I just saw a rip in the leather behind the steering wheel. Not sure what caused it. The minute issues with these cars can be frustrating.

17. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Ridiculous in a car at any price point, and even more so in a car this expensive...